Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 11-26-2004, 06:02 PM   #16
gobs3z
Regular User

I can't disagree because i don't know who half those guys are.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #17
dons5
Regular User

i have to say in the wet Senna Schumi and Fisi, maybe Barrichello. Barrichello is more good when its like some rain, then it dries a lil like on and off, but for an actual wet track i think Schumi Senna and Fisi. I know some might doubt Fisi, but look at what he did in the Jordan in 03, yes it was a freak race but if you see the times he was doin with that car you would understand. And in 2000 in Canada in terrible rain he came in 3rd ahead of Hakkinen and behind only the 2 Ferraris in a Benetton! For more proof look at Suzuka this year in practice yes it was only pracitce but Fisi was so smooth and was second only to schuey and he was close in both sessions. In Brazil 01 he finished 6th starting from 18th in the rain with the Benetton which at the time was the second worst car maybe even as bad as the Minardi. 7th in his peice of shit Jordan at Indy in 03 when it rained. In 99 Nurbergring when he crashed out of the lead on a wet/damp track i though he messed up but i just found out a few months ago that it was the car that broke.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:13 AM   #18
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

Well all these sorta stats are good for ppl who are bored or want to put the point across that X Driver isnt the best etc. When you look at history its how many Wins and titles that count Schumie is on top and until someone beats his achivements he is My No1.
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:20 AM   #19
dons5
Regular User

ya of course Schuey is on top, but when determining whos better etc etc u dont look at paper and read a bunch of numbers u gotta look at individual performances relative to the circumstances which are at hand
Old 11-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #20
biff19_a
Regular User

hey quick question... do you think gilles villeneuve would not be so high on the list if he didnt die so early in his career?
biff19_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #21
takata
Regular User

i cant say who is the best .. but check this out
awesome!!!

http://www.racingflix.com/downloadvideo.asp?v=900

takata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:26 AM   #22
dons5
Regular User

link doesnt work

and About Gilles i have no idea, i dont really know much about him, i do know he was one of the bravest drivers ever
Old 11-29-2004, 05:17 AM   #23
Elio5
Regular User

HI everyone,

IMHO- Ayrton Senna and Gilles Villeneuve with Ronnie Peterson were 3 of the fastest drivers in F1. Their pace and also their bravery were extraordinary. In addition Jackie Stewart (Ring-68), Stefan Bellof (i wish he had lived!), keke Rosberg, (silverstone-i think 86) Alan Jones and sometimes Nigel Mansell were extremely fast. These drivers had an element of pure and raw speed despite their status in the championship or the condition of their car.

From the new guard i reckon that Kimi is probably the fastest of them all, with Alonso and Montoya following. Recently i think that Sir Stirling Moss referred to Kimi as the only pure racer in F1 today. I totally agree!

Michael is extremely fast when conditions and team strategy permit him to do so, also he is fantastic with a clear track in front of him- but he is not that fast in the wet (Senna was and still is the undisputed MASTER), or when he has to deal with slower drivers.

I am sure i forgot a lot F1 drivers and i did not referred at all to the old school were GIANTS likle Roseymeyer-Carraciola-Nuvolari-Fangio-Moss and others risked their lives in every race!

Thank you

elio
Elio5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:48 AM   #24
dons5
Regular User

hey im sorry but what you said about Michael being only fast when conditions permit him etc and not being that fast in the wet i have to completely disagree. Actually i think those are some of his best strengths.

Look at how competetivie Michael has been in every year in F1. Lets face it besides 01-04 he has only ever had the best car in 95. On average i think the Mclaren was better in 2000. Look at races in the last couple of years were Ferrari didnt have the best car for the weekend, Michael was still up there almost everytime. Like look at France 03 look where he was compared to his teammate etc etc. In 94 he would of destroyed hill if it wasnt for all the dq's his tam had and he didnt even have the best car. Look at 97 and 98 how colse he came to winning the WDC with his Ferrari that wasnt even close to the Williams and Mclaren. I woul do fmost likely won in 99, and his Ferrari was miled off Mclaren also. He won 3 races in the wet in 96 which was soooo bad that here really it was a dog. Spa Suzuka and Monaco are the true DRIVERS circuits today and Schumi always performs best there.

And in the wet Schumi is at his absolute best. To say Schumi is not too good in the wet, well thats such a horrid and untrue comment that I wouldnt even know where to start! To say that, either you must not follow F1 too much or I must of misunderstood the comment.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:11 PM   #25
Elio5
Regular User

HI-

Dons5,

i do not want to make this thread a comparison between Schumi and everyone else!

First and foremost you refer the drivers that he faced- and the only names you mention are Hill (which is probably one of the worst drivers in F1 ever)-

Secondly i did not said that Schumi is not fast in the wet- i said that he is not as fast as Senna was in the wet-

The problem is that i do not know if you agree with the other drivers that i mentioned- all this praise for Schumi is pathetic (this comment is not for you dons5)- since Schumi in the last 4-5 years had the best or the second best car- and most importanly had no real opponents to face- (not in the caliber of those Senna had to face)....

Schumi is one of the best drivers of all time (top 10)-and his car control is out there, while his ability in the wet is excellent but not great as Senna's wet control-

I think that there were other drivers that were better than Schumi- and i trully believe that despite his championships and records- Gilles was and will be IMHO a much greater driver than Schumi......and more importantly a true sportsman- something than schumi never was....

I hope you understand my point of view- no offence taken-

Thank you

Elio
Elio5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 11:15 PM   #26
dons5
Regular User

of course no offence taken, hey this is a car forum, everyone has their own views and i fully respect yours. You know myabe schumi isnt as good as Senna in the wet but in my view if hes not as good as Senna, then hes second only to Senna. Have you ever seen the Spain 96 race? He tottally obliterated everyone in his Ferrari which was a complete dog that season. That wasnt one lucky race though, it happens just about everytime.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #27
szumszer
Regular User

all such comparisons are useless, besides can someone who ranked these drivers explain and prove why clark is no. 3 and senna is no. 6 and why is prost not in the top ten; but it makes for an interesting forum ...
szumszer is offline   Reply With Quote