Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-17-2004, 10:08 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Well -- I guess that's part of the mystique of owning a Ferrari then.

However - having said that, lots of Ferraris are never used in anger by their first owners (whom may have 5 or more super cars at their disposal) who then sells the car after a number of years and the next guy coming along may buy the car after the warranty expires.

But it is good news for those guys/gals who buy em new and start tracking them while they still have paper plates...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:45 PM   #17
Tomerville
Regular User

That's an interesting story, I heard that Mitsubishi and Subaru weren't even waranting the clutches or drivetrain because they were expecting kids to be doing hard launches and in the process destroying them.

RC-Would taking a vehicle on a track day such as the 'Ring void the waranty you think?

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:48 PM   #18
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
However - having said that, lots of Ferraris are never used in anger by their first owners
Used in anger? Not used at all lol Thats the sad part. They are not driven like they are supposed to be. Thats why I always admired Porsche, Lotus and Vette drivers, the fact that they actually drive...but then I think of the price difference, but its doesnt completly justify the fact that Ferraris are generaly not driven.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:54 PM   #19
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Thats why I always admired Porsche, Lotus and Vette drivers, the fact that they actually drive...but then I think of the price difference, but its doesnt completly justify the fact that Ferraris are generaly not driven.
Well - because some of these are so "cheap" and plentiful, regular working stiffs like myself can buy em - and then sometimes as their daily driver as well.

So they end up being used a lot.

The very high price of any new Ferrari normally means the folks affording it have so much disposable cash that the Ferrari is not normally their only car - and as such seldom gets used.

of course their are exceptions to this rule - our own bobafett is an example.

Wealthy enough to afford em - AND young enough to enjoy em.. -- as well as the bloke who has put all those miles on his Enzo delivering gold chocolate roses to people..
Old 07-17-2004, 11:06 PM   #20
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
Originally Posted by Evo
And as some of you pointed out some manufacturers promote autocrossing or any other sport event like Audi. But some don't so what's the deal.?
Well some manufactors know what their cars are able to take of abuse, others dont, and void the guaranties to keep their ass safe...
And this is no joke.

Using the Z06 as an example - the car that was engineered and tested is not the same car they ended up producing.

And if you have a look at how over the model years from 2001 through 2004 GM cut more and more corners to shave small amounts of the cost eher and there...

Sure they may have "improved" a shift fork here or a cluth plate there - but that was only because the '01's were destroying pieces like crazy.

It is easy to see in a side by side comparison of an '01 and and an ;04 the way they have "cheated" a little here and there with fastners and sealants and sound proofing etc... so who knows what other areas they shaved a few pennies off by having slightly lower specs for fastners and alloys etc.

There is no doubt that the engineers (from any company - Ford, GM, Audi etc) design a great car - then the the accountants and bean counters have em throttle back the specs to the cheapest possible level for profitable construction.

I mean you have got to wonder what the REAL story is behind those Porsche ceramic brakes that can't last 30 minutes on the track... surely the engineers wanted better than that for the car - but it would have probably never been cost effective.

Look at the cost of the Carrera GT - I think that is a good example of why we will never see super-quality in regular street cars - it ends up costing too damned much.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:13 PM   #21
SFDMALEX
Regular User

super-quality in regular street cars - it ends up costing too damned much.
I was curious how is the Vette in that departament? Regular GM dealrship visits just like the rest or is it more reliable then the rest of the higher end sports cars?
Old 07-17-2004, 11:20 PM   #22
T-Bird
Regular User

what about the Supercars like the CGT or SLR and all those others do they have those clauses in their warranties since they are built to beat the shit out of even though most of the owners don't but then again some do drive them at track events. Are those kind of cars exempt from those rules? How about MB in general since they really don't have any track type cars what with the automatics and what-not, that would be an excuse to buy an SL55-65 or the SLK55.

I know Ford holds events at tracks and drag strips around the States so I'm sure they don't have those clauses in their cars since they warranty Saleens and Roushes through Ford and the respective company aswell.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:26 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
super-quality in regular street cars - it ends up costing too damned much.
I was curious how is the Vette in that department? Regular GM dealership visits just like the rest or is it more reliable then the rest of the higher end sports cars?
No more or less reliable than regular GM crap - and just as weak as the other high end sports cars.

You could take a new 6-speed off the lot, break it in and do 5 really enthusiastic launches and the clutch will feel toast.

Let the hydraulics get too hot and the clutch pedal will stay on the floor after the the next launch.

Drive enthusiastically through the woods backroads for a day and you end up with cracked rotors.. Don't ask how I know..

The shift forks and synchros are very susceptible to "rough" drivers.

I have never really had a problem - but then I basically granny-shift really fast, so the wear on my shift forks and synchros is a lot less than the guys who power-shift a lot.

Power shift too wild in a 6-speed Vette and you are walking home...

If you let your rearend oil get too low/hot you are gonna roast the rear end.

My ex-dealer failed to fill the rear-end after it was all removed for some major surgery one day - and 3 weeks later they were replacing it as it basically "wore out". Sounded like I was driving a straight-cut non-synchro racing transmission the whine was so loud. Sounded way cool slowing down and looking over to the ricer next to me - I know he heard the exhaust AND the gear whine and just looked ahead sheepishly and made a right turn...

The bottom and top end of the '01's is pretty robust - but there are quite a number of guys with '03 and '04's that have dropped valves and thrown rods after just a cam swap - something that is almost unheard of with the '01's and '02'swith cam swaps. So they must have shaved something off somewhere from '02 to '03.

All in all, if you baby a Vette it will last forever - use it even remotely like it was intended and parts just break wear out instantly.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:39 PM   #24
T-Bird
Regular User

My ex-dealer failed to fill the rear-end after it was all removed for some major surgery one day - and 3 weeks later they were replacing it as it basically "wore out". Sounded like I was driving a straight-cut non-synchro racing transmission the whine was so loud. Sounded way cool slowing down and looking over to the ricer next to me - I know he heard the exhaust AND the gear whine and just looked ahead sheepishly and made a right turn...
Wow that sucks they fixed out of their pockets though right? If they did then you had a sweet ass sounding car for a while and then it was fixed at no cost.

Your lucky that's all that happened to your's I had to follow a friend to his GM dealer to get his GTP fixed about 2 years ago and when we got there in the shop was a Z06 off the end of the lift, luckily on the ground but it didn't look good the Snap-On tool box it hit looked in better shape.

Worse thing I had was I had my car in for an ABS computer problem and they let a brake line rub on the rotor and literally blew up when I hit the brakes the next day= new paintjob on fender and new wheel (painted aluminum) along with the new line.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:55 PM   #25
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Shit I thought only Ferraris brake

I guess a good Swedish build supercar will last you forever Koeennnenssiseeeg anyone?
Old 07-18-2004, 12:06 AM   #26
T-Bird
Regular User

you spelled it wrong I think there are 5 more n's and about 6 more g's
Old 07-18-2004, 12:32 AM   #27
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
you spelled it wrong I think there are 5 more n's and about 6 more g's
HEHE. I think we should ask Clarkson for reasurance....he knows the right spelling
Old 07-18-2004, 02:06 AM   #28
tifneedle208
Regular User

He blew the frickin turbo after ONE race?!
VIVA LA EVO!
tifneedle208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:21 AM   #29
graywolf624
Regular User

Sounded like I was driving a straight-cut non-synchro racing transmission the whine was so loud.
Richmond?

That was what was in the camaro.. You can hear the gear whine and the exhaust from 3 blocks away.. Too bad I sold that car..
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote