Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
LEXION
Regular User

Default Ferrari Enzo - The best car for it's money!

According to a group of UK motoring experts the Ferrari Enzo is the greatest car that money can buy. The Enzo won the price based on performance, exclusivity, brand heritage and style status in the Zurich Iconic Car Index, developed for Zurich Private Clients. Our number one would have been another car that’s also in the top 10, we think the wonderful revival of the Bugatti brand deserves a number one spot in this list as it’s a truely unique piece of engineering.

Top 3
Ferrari Enzo
Porsche Carrera GT
Ferrari F599

1. Ferrari Enzo -- £425,000

The ultimate combination of top-notch heritage, amazing performance and rarity. Ferrari built only a few hundred Enzos, but had to keep upping the quota to keep loyal customers happy. Even at -- £425,000 you can’t buy a new one now - used cars fetch even more. Panel comments include:

“Looks, performance, heritage, sport, limited numbers, stratospheric awareness”; “As good as it gets”, “The ultimate iconic super-car” and “As iconic as they come, and still fabulous”.

more here: 1 http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=15863

My Flickr Photo sets | My YouTube Videos | Mod edit: No linking to personal business in a sig
LEXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
TopGearNL
Regular User

Best car ever? mm Not sure about that...
Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
pitfield
Regular User

This panel are obviously a bit blinkered.

What about the Zonda, rareity, luxury (something the Enzo has none of) similar power and performance. Perhaps it's lacking in heritage but I know where my money would be.

!. Carrera GT
2. Zonda F
3. Veyron
4. Enzo
Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
LEXION
Regular User

this is the whole top with comments for each car .....

Top 10
Enzo Ferrari
Porsche Carrera GT
Ferrari F599
Aston Martin Vanquish S
Mercedes-Benz SLR
Bugatti Veyron
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
Lamborghini Murcielago
Bentley Continental GT
Pagani Zonda

Detailed comments

1. Ferrari Enzo -- £425,000

The ultimate combination of top-notch heritage, amazing performance and rarity. Ferrari built only a few hundred Enzos, but had to keep upping the quota to keep loyal customers happy. Even at -- £425,000 you can’t buy a new one now - used cars fetch even more. Panel comments include:

“Looks, performance, heritage, sport, limited numbers, stratospheric awareness”; “As good as it gets”, “The ultimate iconic super-car” and “As iconic as they come, and still fabulous”.

2. Porsche Carrera GT -- £315,000

Porsche surprised everyone when it pulled this one out of the can at the Paris motor show four years ago. Like the Enzo, it’s a racing car for the road, though the Porsche is even more compromised than the Ferrari. The purpose-built V10 engine, heady -- £315,000 price tag and limited production seal it for the Carrera GT.

“Not so exclusive as Ferrari but cast-iron reputation”; The choice of driving connoisseurs, tainted a touch by becoming the clichéd choice of city boys”, and “The ultimate sports car brand, with the most iconic sports car silhouette in the world”

3. Ferrari F599 -- £157,000

The newest model in the top 10, and the very latest Ferrari, the 2006 F599 has received accolades from everyone who has driven it. Technically advanced, thrilling to drive, it goes to show that if the formula is right, a car doesn’t have to costs more than a quarter of a million nor be made in limited numbers.

“The most well known brand and sports car firm in the world bar none” and “The most coveted cars on earth”

4. Aston Martin Vanquish S -- £177,000

The oldest Aston Martin in the current line up is also the most iconic. The Vanquish combines high technology engineering with a composite bodywork. It may look very similar to cheaper Astons, but its ranking just goes to show that there is no getting away from class.

“British treasure, beauty, brawn and soul”; “James Bond, need you say more?”; “Swaggering with widescreen gloss and allure, Aston Martin’s status is unassailable, reinforced by solid new product, and “Superb, timeless designs that never make the driver seem flash or arrogant - a rare thing for a high-end sports car”

5. Mercedes-Benz SLR -- £317,000

Mercedes exploits its Formula 1 link with McLaren to the highest degree with the SLR. Designed by the race team, the SLR is a tech-fest of awe inspiring performance combined with luxury. Some might say that the end result isn’t as good as the sum of the parts, but there is no denying the SLR’s impact.

“A three-pointed star logo on your car is synonymous with success the world over”; “One of the most noble names in motoring, tarnished of late but polishing up well”

6. Bugatti Veyron -- £840,000

The Veyron’s measly sixth place shows that extraordinary price and performance don’t necessarily place a car at the top of the iconic tree. With its whopping eight-litre W12 engine producing 1,000bhp and stratospheric performance, the Veyron is remarkable but arguably a step too far.

“Long-awaited Veyron puts Bugatti back in the spotlight, but the marque's true allure rests with its history”; “Pointless but you have to admire the awesome engineering”; “Great history but a one-hit-wonder for the modern day?”

7. Ferrari 612 Scaglietti -- £175,000

Get your tongue around the name and this four-seater Ferrari just grows and grows on you. It does everything right, just in a rather more subdued manner. It’s the most sensible Ferrari in the range, if there can be such a thing as a sensible Ferrari.

“The ultimate iconic supercar (but owning one can call into question the size of your manhood!)”

8. Lamborghini Murciélago -- £175,000

Ferrari’s major Italian rival, you choose a Lamborghini for its exclusivity. You certainly don’t lose out on performance and the fact that Lamborghini is owned by Audi is rather more pleasing than Fiat owning Ferrari. The Murciélago is big, brutally fast and jaw-dropping in appearance. Perhaps too flash for some.

“Ferrari alternative - and arguably even brasher”; “The wild-child choice in the ultracar set”, “Great for Rod Stewart, but needs to match Ferrari with relevant cars”

9. Bentley Continental GT -- £115,00

The most affordable car in the Top 10, the Continental GT has been the surprising success of the new millennium. A cheap Bentley? Why not? Owner Volkswagen has disguised well a mechanical package from the VW Phaeton, and with a six-litre W12 engine producing a staggering 550bhp in a funky coupé body, the GT has proved highly iconic.

“Great British success story under the Germans”; “Getting cooler by the minute, but needs to stay up-to-date”, “No other factory in the world turns out more bling than Crewe”

10. Pagani Zonda -- £380,000

The wild card here, the remarkable Italian Pagani Zonda proves that heritage isn’t quite everything when a car is simply so good in its own right. Alarmingly expensive but with its distinctive avant-garde design and luscious technical package, the Zonda has earned a place alongside the greats.

“Hugely expensive, hugely fast, hugely gorgeous”; “Tiny but among cognoscenti rising very fast”, “Plaything of rich Arabs, but held back a touch by obscurity of product”.

My Flickr Photo sets | My YouTube Videos | Mod edit: No linking to personal business in a sig
Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
ViperASR
Regular User

Part of the reason Pagani and McLaren F1 rnt on the list or high up I think is the pice and the "heritage of the badge". Those 2 would deff be on my list, idk if the Vanquish S would be on it....

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by ViperASR
Part of the reason Pagani and McLaren F1 rnt on the list or high up I think is the pice and the "heritage of the badge". Those 2 would deff be on my list, idk if the Vanquish S would be on it....
Yeah must be but McLaren does have alot of racing pedigree.. :shock:

What about the Ford GT, surprised thats not up there with all its heritage
Old 02-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Everlasting
Regular User

fine list
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
gucom
Regular User

the McLaren F1 would be so much higher up there for me... i mean... technical excellence? check (so may firsts, SO far ahead of anything in its day except maybe the bugatti eb110). Exclusivity? check, 65 proper road cars produced plus some 35 race cars of which some were converted to road cars. Heritage? well the McLaren Formula 1 team was at the time the most succesful team ever i believe, ok so only 3 or so road cars before it, who cares Style status? oh come on, i think every millionaire who can afford a ferrari knows about the McLaren F1 and knows his car simply won't come close...
Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
rave426
Regular User

Enzo needs to be lower. Damn car cant even finish one lap on a circuit thats not perfectly (racetrack-like) smooth, because it'l get all figedty and fly off the road.

Carrera GT and Zonda have the best of all worlds.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
crazidude
Regular User

Funny how in a list of the best car money can buy the F1 isn't on it. Like others have said, its more exclusive than the Enzo, has a racing heritage dating back to the 60s, looks alright and it was once the fastest car in the world. That has to account for something.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
LEXION
Regular User

I say the top is perfect, than again, it was made by UK expert motorists, who chose the cars by a certain motoring issues. They didint choosed the cars on based of what they'd like or have driven and liked. Thats why is perfect, its not a poll, on wich would you like to be the best, we have plenty of those arround.....

Old 02-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #12
666fast
Regular User

Hmm, heritage is considered so important, yet Maserati isn't mentioned. Maserati's heritage runs much deeper than Ferrari's.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

wow, two of the biggest fanboys on JW arguing LOL now I know I must be dreaming hahahahaha
Old 02-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
ice
Regular User

I think something that a few people are missing is that the MAcf1 us 10 years old....
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 AM   #15
numerouno
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by gucom
the McLaren F1 would be so much higher up there for me... i mean... technical excellence? check (so may firsts, SO far ahead of anything in its day except maybe the bugatti eb110). Exclusivity? check, 65 proper road cars produced plus some 35 race cars of which some were converted to road cars. Heritage? well the McLaren Formula 1 team was at the time the most succesful team ever i believe, ok so only 3 or so road cars before it, who cares Style status? oh come on, i think every millionaire who can afford a ferrari knows about the McLaren F1 and knows his car simply won't come close...
But then again - it's "the best car for its money"... so either the Macca or the Enzo should be rulled out. They're expensive, and you can get similar performance for less money. The Macca, although it's still the ultimate road car in my book - was overpriced, and at $1 million is overpriced still today...

IMO the best car for its money should be the 599 GTB. You get an excellent GT car, perfect for cruising, with an astonishing performance out of the Enzo engine it hides under the bonet, mindblowing track speed, excellent interior quality, a breathtaking design, ultimate technology coming straight from the F1 team... and all that for a quarter of the price of the Enzo
I'd fully agree with you if the "iconic status" of the car was not one of the decisive factors.
numerouno is offline   Reply With Quote