Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Just_me
Regular User

Default First review: BMW 335i

With a long wheelbase, laid-back A-pillars and a stretched, flowing roofline giving the coupe a genuinely graceful profile, it's a car that looks better in the metal than in pictures - primarily because the rear flanks have stronger 'shoulders' than they appear two-dimensionally. The car just looks tougher, stronger and better planted in the metal. Indeed, viewed from the rear three-quarter, the coupe has shades of the old 8-Series about it, particularly with those large wraparound tail lights.

REVIEW
Old 07-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
5vz-fe
Regular User

30mpg is pretty good fuel economy for a 3.0 turbo car I must say.

Wonder why BMW didn't put a LSD in such a car :roll: Oh well, I don't think that's a test drive with proper instruments anyways, we'll get the numbers from other reviews later on and see if BMW goes conservative on the numbers.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
STiInYourEye
Regular User

Good first impression, but I was hoping they would be blown away by the engine. It seems that they liked the power of the turbo, but were expecting more of a rush. I still am not wowed by the stylingin the pics, but it is good to hear that the coupe works better in the metal. I can't wait for the M3, but I am worried that the price is going to be ridiculous.
STiInYourEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
thepest
Regular User

Nice review. I like the new exterior from day one, and I can only image how good it is going to look in the metal! The 3 litre turbo engine is great I think and that economy is just amazing!

Always outnumbered, never outguned!!!
thepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Now they have a small 6 series?

So basically the guy who just paid $80,000 for his 6 series, will have to be satisfied his car looks exactly like every 3 series coupe running around

Poor posers... they can get no lucky breaks...

BTW, yet another BMW designed to chase away the fans of the older classic BMW lines.

3 thumbs down

See - which is which?

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe

Wonder why BMW didn't put a LSD in such a car :roll: Oh well, I don't think that's a test drive with proper instruments anyways, we'll get the numbers from other reviews later on and see if BMW goes conservative on the numbers.
Saving the LSD for the M Car.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v

That's a obvious answer, but 335 goes for almost 50k and yet BMW is cheap enough not to put one there is just not justifiable. You have all the torque and no means of putting it down the road.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
thepest
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

So basically the guy who just paid $80,000 for his 6 series, will have to be satisfied his car looks exactly like every 3 series coupe running around

BTW, yet another BMW designed to chase away the fans of the older classic BMW lines.

3 thumbs down

See - which is which?

How you see no difference is something beyond me.

Always outnumbered, never outguned!!!
thepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by thepest

3 thumbs down

See - which is which?

How you see no difference is something beyond me.
Open your eyes and you will see how to the casual glance and viewer the cars are alike. Similar proportions, shape and profile.

They have no immediate distinguishing characteristics.

In the last few years this "family look" from BMW and Mercedes has got out of hand.

In the past there was no mistaking a 3 series for a 5 series or for a 6 series or for a 7 series or even for an 8 series.

Each model was not just a different size, it was a unique and model specific style and shape.

This insistence of "family look" has made the modern BMW and Mercedes a boring bland stupid looking amorphous blob.

That is al.. the end..

Well, except that the last great looking BMW was the E46 M3... everything after that is bland and dull. Performance is also hardly worth getting excited about.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v

That's a obvious answer, but 335 goes for almost 50k and yet BMW is cheap enough not to put one there is just not justifiable. You have all the torque and no means of putting it down the road.
I agree, marketing is marketing. Just like what Porsche did to the Cayman to protect the 911.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
CMonakar
Regular User

"There's big news under the bonnet, too. It's the first time any manufacturer has offered a twin-turbo straight-six"

I guess he has never heard of the Toyota Supra.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by ccarlisi
"There's big news under the bonnet, too. It's the first time any manufacturer has offered a twin-turbo straight-six"

I guess he has never heard of the Toyota Supra.
Or Nissan Skyline's RB26DETT.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #13
coloradosilver
Regular User

What a crap review!!

All this article did was restate things we already know through the BMW press release.

Wast of time to read. Thanks for the post though.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:20 AM   #14
Just_me
Regular User

]
Who cares about those old farts. You loose some and you win some. Personally i take the new design direction with my open arms.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:38 AM   #15
spanky
Regular User

Thanks for putting the post up dude! Cheers
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote