Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Just drove the M5

and is my neck fucking sore!!!

It came in for the Vanos oil line recall yesterday. Drove it a little bit then just to make sure it wasn't leaking. Traffic was bad by the time i got out so just took it for a spin around the block.

Well the jackass owner brings it back saying i didn't fix shit because there was still a quart (read: 3 drops) of oil in his driveway :roll: So after removing the panels and cleaning them and rechecking the oil level, my shop foreman tells me i need to reset the sensor and drive the car for awhile until it starts reading right (i haven't been to M5 class so i have idea how the system works. There is no dipstick and oil level monitoring can take up to 30 miles to read the correct level :roll: stupid ass idea IMO)

So, i finally get a chance to get onto a stretch of freeway that is somewhat uninhabited. Made a quick run up to 75 in 400hp mode with the shift setting at S5. The responsiveness is insane, the shifts are beautifully brutal and quick and the noise

The road i'm on is 10 miles of damn near pure straight-a-way. A few sweeping curves but nothing that would cause you to lift too horribly. I've got the radio off and i'm just basking in the sound of the V10 practically idling in 7th gear at 2600 RPM (about 80 iirc). Finally the end of the road comes up. i pull off into a driveway to turn around, set the controls to P500 and start off back the way i came. The sound was incredible. 10 X more so than P400. It's got a much louder, direct howl. Out of the bottom of my eye i can see enough of the HUD's tach display to know i'm closing in on redline, and just before it tops off, the display flashes and i smack the paddle. The shift was had enough to cause me to realize that i really should have been sitting all the way against the back of the seat (hence the sore neck) still in S5(i didn't dare turn off the DSC and go S6) i go through 2nd and 3rd as if they weren't there before letting off.

There was one more straight section coming up and it was all clear, so down my foot went and up the speedo went. Bugs hittng the windshield are quite noisy at 130 I decided that was enough and put it back in P400 and cruised back to the shop.

One of the things i find quite interesting is the side supports on the seat will "hug" you as you go into a turn to keep you from sliding. As you go into a left, the right side will push you back, and vise versa. Very interesting feeling if you aren't used to it

This car is absolutely amazing. Not being a racecar driver, or even owning a high powered car, i admit the power on tap is enough to spook me into thinking that i don't want to drive a Ferrari anytime in the very near future, let alone turning off the traction control in P500 Sport. I compltey zoned out of the fact that this is a sedan. It just doesn't feel like one.

I eagerly await the arrival of our first M6 in a few months

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Zot09
Regular User

The M5 is one hell of a car! My friends dad recently bought one, and I can totally agree with you!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Astonfan
Regular User

sounds like one bad ass car. i saw one on the road the other day, black with temp tags on, god that thing looked wicked
Old 01-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
blinkmeat
Regular User

I envy your fine ass Z
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
initiala4
Regular User

i heard that the shifts are quite jerky
initiala4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by initiala4
i heard that the shifts are quite jerky
In S5 and 6 and D5 they are pretty harsh. But in the lwer programs they are fairly soft.

Starting out isn't as bad as the magazines and shows say it is. If you lightly apply the accelerator, the clutch will gently engage. The faster your foot goes down, the harer the clutch engages.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
Banchi105
Regular User

Thanks for the detailed write up.

I hope to one day post something similar myself!
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
ae86_16v
Regular User

You lucky son of a bitch. . . hahaha . And what did the owner say about the miles you put on his car?

I heard that all the new ones don't have a dip stick huh? The computer monitors it for you?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
gigdy
Regular User

So does it keep a log of, miles driven and top speed and stuff? Say that the owner could look at?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
skituner
Regular User

you are sooo lucky.
skituner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #11
StanAE86
Regular User

BASTARD I SAY!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #12
ZfrkS62
Regular User

And what did the owner say about the miles you put on his car?
what choice does he have? Until we figure out the trick to this oil sensor, it's going to require some driving

heard that all the new ones don't have a dip stick huh? The computer monitors it for you?
yeah. kinda shitty. But, if it gets the owner to check the damn oil level once in awhile, then so be it.

So does it keep a log of, miles driven and top speed and stuff? Say that the owner could look at?
nope

Old 01-25-2006, 12:31 AM   #13
sentra_dude

Sweeeet dude! Thanks for the detailed write-up, I always enjoy reading the thoughts of JW members.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:06 AM   #14
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
One of the best working days in your career? Must have been an experience with a capital E. Makes me think what would be comparable event in my working field... hmm... there is no comparable event possible Wait, maybe if there would be electrical emergency in one of the car factories using our products.
it was definetly an experience to remember. I hope to ave a similar write up when the E90 M3 comes out but that may be awhile So far this is the highlight of my short career

Old 01-25-2006, 03:38 AM   #15
RC45
Regular User

On JW w ehave this rule....

It involves pictorial evidence... or the holding of ones tongue...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote