Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #91
Daggernite
Regular User

Originally Posted by x-per
Erhm why stop those "crazy" features, if they did they would only end up with another boring motoring show, like fifth gear.

Anyways, hope he recovers.
I still think the most intresting features was the ones where they drove across europe or to france in 3 supercars. You kind of enjoyed the cars, and there friendship. The part where topgear exceeds 5thgear, is that with topgear your not just watching car reviews, but the 3 of them aswell. Freezing Hammond or drowning him, while it may be entertaining to some, it was the point where I went to make a drink.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #92
saadie
Regular User

brain injury is always bad

He was talking to the emergency crew after the crash .. sooo i hope the injury is not all that bad

I hope he gets well soon!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #93
Smylait
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
Originally Posted by Smylait
Sad sad news... I really hope he will recover soon.
I guess it depends on what you define as recover from a "significant brain injury".
That is exactely what I mean. It is not something you can recover easily, and sometimes you loose a lot of your faculties. Brain is the most sensitive part of the body. He will be lucky if he hasn't too much damages. I hope the best for him (regarding the situation).
Old 09-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #94
McLaren4eVa
Regular User

The irony is they don't even need dangerous stunts for the show to be funny, i think there amusing in every other scene. It just woudn't be funny without jeremy and richard.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #95
evoWalo
Regular User

These Brits always downplay things. Brain surgery is a major thing!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #96
Jabba
Regular User

Sad sad news... I really hope he will recover soon.
I guess it depends on what you define as recover from a "significant brain injury".
That is exactely what I mean. It is not something you can recover easily, and sometimes you loose a lot of your faculties. Brain is the most sensitive part of the body. He will be lucky if he hasn't too much damages. I hope the best for him (regarding the situation).
Yep, I think they would have said "full recovery" if they had meant a full recovery.

A good recovery from say almost death, could mean just about anything.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #97
PATo355
Regular User

Fuck this is sad news , hope he recovers and comes back to top gear ... he was a very good presenter :S

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #98
LotusGT1
Regular User

My thoughts goes to Richard and his wife and kids. Devastating news
Old 09-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #99
STiInYourEye
Regular User

Originally Posted by ellen feiss
These Brits always downplay things. Brain surgery is a major thing!
Are they going to perform brain surgery? I had not heard that surgery was needed as of yet. It seems to me that the main reason to perform brain surgery after a major crash like that would be to stop bleeding, or at least release pressure on the brain caused by bleeding. As the docs so far have said there is no significant cranial bleeding, I hope Hammond does not have to undergo a craniotomy.
STiInYourEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #100
jakaracman
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
Sad news indeed, I hope he makes a full recovery.

With that said, there is a reason the NHRA and such require special licenses. You don't get to just hop into one of these things and go for it. Doesn't matter how much experience you have with other cars, 300mph in a matter of seconds is no joke!
You mean you'd say no if someone offred you to drive it? I certainly wouldnt - and I wouldn+t just drive slowly either. I'd try to max it out if possible ...
jakaracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #101
Daggernite
Regular User

My brother made an intresting point to me earlier. And I am in no way taking the piss. But the news says his head hit the ground after the rollcage actually went in the ground when he rolled onto the grass. So obviously the rollcage could not protect his head. Now Hammond was a short fella, if he had been a taller person, maybe the accident could have been more tragic. Im supersticous, made me think maybe all things are a way for some reason or another. I still find it hard to believe he made it considering the speeds and him hitting his head on the ground.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #102
jakaracman
Regular User

Sadly he does indeed have a brain injury, and to be honest if he cant present on TG again then I dont think the show should continue without him.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...543385,00.html
Guys, dont be so pessimistic. Brain injury can mean a lot of things. Many racing drivers (remember Wurz and so on) had brain injuries, even been hel in an induced coma (because of the swelling) and are 100% OK now.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #103
jakaracman
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Bastards that work at TG, setting them up to do more and more :fist: !
I don't thing there+s any setting up for more and more. JC, Hamster and May can alwasys say no if they thinmg that's too dangerous. But they dont cause they like it.
They're enthusiasts, and people like this need other people to hold them back not set them up...
Old 09-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #104
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by jakaracman
Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Bastards that work at TG, setting them up to do more and more :fist: !
I don't thing there+s any setting up for more and more. JC, Hamster and May can alwasys say no if they thinmg that's too dangerous. But they dont cause they like it.
They're enthusiasts, and people like this need other people to hold them back not set them up...
Exactly, how many of us only dream of doing the stunts these people do for a living. If I was getting handsomely paid to drive the latest & greatest out of Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, etc then I'd quit my job now and do all those crazy things.

We get injured for the most stupid of reasons but at least Richard got hurt doing something he obviously enjoys.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #105
TopGearNL
Regular User

I would advise you both to read the full story in the whole topic. Offcourse they have a dreamjob and I would do it too, but with them saying no, TG would just be as 5th Gear, boring! So its not like they have to do it, but there is a bit of tension on their shoulders and the TG directors are pushing them to do it. As said in the crash story.

Im not saying your wrong guys, I just have a different opinion on it