Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Skaala
Regular User

Default A8 windshieldwipers don't like change in temperature

On my way home from work yesterday I was going to wipe some bugs of the window, and the wipers stopped in the middle of the window. I checked all the fuses, but they were ok. The next morning I drove to my dealer in Kristiansand and they looked at it.

The problem was that at the bottom of the wiper, there is a bolt with a bushing, fixing it to the car. The el-motor spins it around this. Audi have mixed a lot of metals in here, and with often and high temperature changes, the different metals begin to corrode, and eventually sease up without warning.

The dealer told me he had to order new parts from Germany, and it would take 2 weeks.... so I had to hope for 2 weeks without rain! When I got home, I thought -to hell with it, and drenched the bolt and wiper fixing (when it was still on) with the good old 5-56 I did this a couple of more times, and the next morning the wipers were as good as new...... later that day it started raining like hell. Good thing i didn't trust the local dealer who said it was "un-reperable" and that there was no emergency-solution.

I'm going to give him a piece of my mind when I come to change my oil on thursday

he also told me this was a pretty common problem with A4 and A6 in Norway.... Anyone ever heard about this?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:56 AM   #2
davide
Regular User

It's been extremely hot in Sweden for a couple of weeks (same in Norway?) so the corroding should be well under way, but never heard of it... seems pretty weird!