Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-03-2004, 02:35 AM   #1
dingo
Regular User

We have mobile camera on the side of the road called multanova's, and I believe they use laser. We don't have sensors in the road, the multinova just calculates your speed based on the distance you travel in a certain time frame. These camera's are in a different location every day.
We also have the cops standing on the side of the road with their radar guns, but they aren't as common.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:14 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

We have fixed ones like in UK, we have temp ones on tripods wich are moved all the time in various random places, we have cops with laser gunes, we have camoed cars, they seem normal Vectras but have the damn thing built into the bumper and are casually parket around town (and moved all the time), and lastly we have car that will follow you on the highway, with all the systems needed to register your speed...

It is not allowed to have jammers or detectors as far as I know, but usually all the big local radios have constant updates about radar emplacements (thanks to listerners who call them after they are flashed or when they notice one )
Old 08-03-2004, 04:14 AM   #3
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Here is also one mobile unit, where the camera is in the back of the van, and police can then drive around where he wants and stop to take pics of the speeders or other traffic violations.

Police also patrols the roads with handheld lasers and radars. Handheld devices are the only way to caught speeding motorcycles, because cameras take the photo from the front and without any license plate in front, motorcycles are impossible to track later.
We have alot more than one mobile unit. The camera sits on the side of the road and is connected to a battery pack, while a guy sits in a car and does god knows what. I think he's there to keep an eye on the camera since we have had quite a few of them vandalised.
We have the same problem with motorbikes, although the government is trying to make it compulsory for bikes to have plates on the front aswell.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:25 AM   #4
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

That really blows...its just a way for the govt to make money. We dont have them in the U.S. but I read somewhere that the govt may start to use them in some areas within the next 5-10 years
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:10 AM   #5
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by DMbaseball1604
That really blows...its just a way for the govt to make money. We dont have them in the U.S. but I read somewhere that the govt may start to use them in some areas within the next 5-10 years
Why is it revenue raising for the government? If someone breaks the law (which they are by speeding) then they should expect to be fined. Nobody complains about parking tickets or other fines as much, even though those offences don't endanger anyone.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #6
Ian_yamaue
Regular User

In Brazil, also have fixed and mobile speedcams, Most of the fixed works with a kind of carpet sensor buried in road, they use mobiles most for the highways, and is hard to see them, the cops go on foot to the bushes and only after been caught you see, the truckers use to warn about them by flashing lights or blowing horns. Is useful ask to truckers about cops on the road when stop in a gas stations.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
rob_e1
Regular User

Default Re: Radar cameras in Europe?

I watched the 5th gear episode about laser detectors and jammers. Are all the cameras using only radar in UK? They don't have ones with sensors buried in the road?
Most cameras are radar but we do have some mobile sites that use sensors in the road.

We also have mobile camera vans that use laser.

Radar and Laser detection devices ARE legal here as are GPS based warnings about fixed camera sites, but by the time you get a laser alert you've already been caught

Jammers are illegal, but there might be a loophole if you have a device that was you use to say, open your garage door automatically - if it jams the laser but was not done intentionally to do so, then you might just get away with it. Most jammers switch themselves off once they've been triggered - idea is you can then slow down and let the coppers get another reading (hopefully you're within the limit by this point).

The real issue in the uk is that a lot of sites are in areas where there are no real safety issues. Many were originally hidden behind trees or road signs. Also, the agency that sets the speed limits are just a bunch of local authority administrators - so there is no consistency, plus a lot of roads are now classified as say, 50mph where they used to be 60mph purely because they can be maintained more cheaply if they don't have to comply with safety regulations required by the higher speed ratings.. :roll:

If we just had cameras outside schools and playgounds then there would not be the backlash there is in the uk - but we don't see ANY in these areas.

Increase in camera convictions has NOT brought a reduction in road deaths.

The introduction of the cameras has also come at a time when the number of police traffic units has declined.. :roll:

A camera does not catch un-insured drivers, drunk, drugged, or just plain bad driving..
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:05 PM   #8
goose93
Regular User

We have cameras in Colorado, but someone challenged them in court and now the police have to personally deliver the ticket to you. Since that cost way too much money it never really happens any more and the speed cameras are effectivly dead here.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:27 AM   #9
dingo
Regular User

It is pretty easy to avoid being caught here since the locations of the camera's are printed in the morning newspaper and broadcast on the previous nights news, so there really is no excuse when you do get caught.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:25 AM   #10
SilviaEvo
Regular User

awwww hell no! i think the goverment needs to fuck off with the radars i mean who speeds :roll:
Old 08-04-2004, 06:28 AM   #11
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by rob_e1
I watched the 5th gear episode about laser detectors and jammers. Are all the cameras using only radar in UK? They don't have ones with sensors buried in the road?
Most cameras are radar but we do have some mobile sites that use sensors in the road.

We also have mobile camera vans that use laser.

Radar and Laser detection devices ARE legal here as are GPS based warnings about fixed camera sites, but by the time you get a laser alert you've already been caught

Jammers are illegal, but there might be a loophole if you have a device that was you use to say, open your garage door automatically - if it jams the laser but was not done intentionally to do so, then you might just get away with it. Most jammers switch themselves off once they've been triggered - idea is you can then slow down and let the coppers get another reading (hopefully you're within the limit by this point).

The real issue in the uk is that a lot of sites are in areas where there are no real safety issues. Many were originally hidden behind trees or road signs. Also, the agency that sets the speed limits are just a bunch of local authority administrators - so there is no consistency, plus a lot of roads are now classified as say, 50mph where they used to be 60mph purely because they can be maintained more cheaply if they don't have to comply with safety regulations required by the higher speed ratings.. :roll:

If we just had cameras outside schools and playgounds then there would not be the backlash there is in the uk - but we don't see ANY in these areas.

Increase in camera convictions has NOT brought a reduction in road deaths.

The introduction of the cameras has also come at a time when the number of police traffic units has declined.. :roll:

A camera does not catch un-insured drivers, drunk, drugged, or just plain bad driving..
Yeah theres thousands of speed cameras in the UK and road deaths have gone up......

Most feel its just a money making scheme for the government which it probably is, the cameras don't do anything except generate fines
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:18 AM   #12
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Yeah theres thousands of speed cameras in the UK and road deaths have gone up......

Most feel its just a money making scheme for the government which it probably is, the cameras don't do anything except generate fines
The issue shouldn't be whether or not the government is making money from it, the point of it is that you are breaking the law and therefore you pay for it. I don't hear many people complaining that the govt is making money from parking fines......or any other type of fine.
I probably speed as much as the next person but I accept my punishment (the fine) when I get caught and don't complain and blame the govt.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:34 AM   #13
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Yeah it is breaking the law..but when the govt installs speed cameras they are catching EVERY single person that speeds..in a certain area..where as if there were not cameras they would not be catching nearly as many..I have gotten several ticktets and two of them were well over the limit both were 25mph over..and yes I also accept the fine because it is breaking the law..

however..my dad got a ticket for going 5mph over the limit...in Plano, and the police here are notorious for just being jack asses and giving out tickets for that kind of crap, 5mph..I mean come on that was not intentional or anything its just dumb to have to pay a $175 fine for something like that. Speed cameras will catch people doing things like this and it may slow them down but the govt will make A TON of money from people un intentionally speeding, even if it is 5mph over the limit and the 'criminal' will have to pay a hefty fine...
Old 08-04-2004, 07:50 AM   #14
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo21

The issue shouldn't be whether or not the government is making money from it, the point of it is that you are breaking the law and therefore you pay for it. I don't hear many people complaining that the govt is making money from parking fines......or any other type of fine.
I probably speed as much as the next person but I accept my punishment (the fine) when I get caught and don't complain and blame the govt.
But why is it breaking the law?? Because speedings dangerous and potentially causes road deaths.

Thousands more cameras and road deaths have gone up. What does that tell you? That they don't work.

As i someone mentioned earlier the best way would to be to increase road patrols, a telling off from an officer is much more influential than a fine in the post. But what have the govenrment done? Reduced the number of road traffic officers.

Consider these too scenarios as well: A innocent law abiding granny that is caught on a speed camera doing say 33 in a 30 zone. And then say osama bin laden comes past the same camera doing 30. My point is they don't help reduce crime either. By all means, have them at accident blackspots and outside schools etc but many of them are in places where you don't need them.

The situation in the UK is pretty stupid, the government are making uneccesarily large amounts of profit off them for no particular reason, something else should be done to reduce the number of road deaths.
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:53 AM   #15
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo21

But why is it breaking the law?? Because speedings dangerous and potentially causes road deaths.

Thousands more cameras and road deaths have gone up. What does that tell you? That they don't work.

As i someone mentioned earlier the best way would to be to increase road patrols, a telling off from an officer is much more influential than a fine in the post. But what have the govenrment done? Reduced the number of road traffic officers.

Consider these too scenarios as well: A innocent law abiding granny that is caught on a speed camera doing say 33 in a 30 zone. And then say osama bin laden comes past the same camera doing 30. My point is they don't help reduce crime either. By all means, have them at accident blackspots and outside schools etc but many of them are in places where you don't need them.

The situation in the UK is pretty stupid, the government are making uneccesarily large amounts of profit off them for no particular reason, something else should be done to reduce the number of road deaths.
You just said what I was trying to say..but much better