Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 06-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #286
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by lakatu
Thanks st-anger for the clarification. It certainly wasn't your English which is very good . The thing that confused me was that I didn't realize that HvS 7:40 time was in the wet. I wish that I could read and speak German half as well as you do English. Then I could read these excellent German magazines like SA.

When did HvS run the dry lap time of 7:28 and has that time been published? It still shows 7:40 at track-challenge website.

By the way, an article that was posted in this section had an interview with WR were he indicated that they weren't going to post his lap times in the future because they felt it was creating a dangerous competition on the NS. Do you know anything about this?
lol, thx m8....trying my best but still have to practice...

When did HvS run the dry lap time of 7:28
sorry, read here:
...for AB WR did the driving with the CGT in 7:28...
so not to completely confuse you, Walter did the 7:28, not Horst v. S.

a very good point you mentioned there with the whole NS lap time issue...
that´s a VERY critical topic especially for the manufacturers, as you know, for any car it has been extremely good advertisement when i clocked a good lap time on NS, i mean nearly everyone in automotive industry knows NS, and those who are into racing and sports cars know that a good spors car is defined through a quick NS time, but all this had gone a bit too far, would be too difficult to describe in detail, but in the end it always a bit difficult with NS lap times officially nowadays...
one might say "sad but true..."
you know the whole issue with tourist driving on NS, filming, beating lap times of other members of so called "race clubs..." there´ve been many many accidents because of all this including quite some fatalities, so Nürnburgring GmbH set up some strict limitations, e.g. NO filming at all, this is handled quite strict, all the decent forums and ppl don´t want any discussions about lap times any more, so you see...
it´s really like that, there´re unfortunately too many rich ppl around here, of course when you want to be someone you simply HAVE to buy a Porsche, join a club, then there´re track days, everyone wants to hit NS, during a lap they notice that they´re swamped either with their car but especially with NS...the result....i mentioned it above...
so what WR means with dangerous competition is not only the competition with the other manufacturers, i mean he knows that NS is defintely Porsche territory, he mainly refers to all this i mentioned above...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:16 PM   #287
st-anger
Regular User

posted by AlienDB7

Cursed Porsche 550 Spyder?

Just came across this article, pretty interesting:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/dean.htm
Porsche 911
Old 06-19-2004, 12:21 PM   #288
st-anger
Regular User

posted by gucom

Carrera GT by Road and Track

I hope this isnt a repost?
This is all fro mthe Road&track website, there is also a vid i nthere with 1 of the editors telling sum stuff about that car (nothing u didnt already know)

ADRIA, ITALY — Let's say you're blindfolded. And all you know is that you are sitting in the driver's seat of a brand-new Porsche. You locate the ignition switch on the left and grab the steering wheel. Move your right hand across the center and the shifter is right where you would expect it. The seat is snug but comfortable. Now wipe your hand across the dash and take a deep breath: The Teutonic exactness and feel are apparent.

Turn the ignition switch. The engine comes to life immediately and settles into a smooth idle. No surprises so far. This could be a Boxster or a 911.

Now romp on the throttle a few times. Womp! Womp!

This is no ordinary Porsche.

The powerplant revs quicker than you can blink your eyes. Its accompanying symphony of reverberating tones catches you by surprise, and then subsides just as quickly to a hum as you lift off the throttle. Take your blindfold off and you realize you're sitting in the new Carrera GT, the latest and the greatest road-going Porsche sports car. And already, just revving the engine to hear the mid-mounted V-10 belt out its song has you mesmerized — without the car moving an inch.

In the late '90s, Porsche conceived a normally aspirated V-10 concept intended for the famed 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance race. Now adapted for the road-going Carrera GT, Zuffenhausen engineers increased the same power unit's bore to 98.0 mm and bumped up the displacement to 5.7 liters. The result is a powerplant producing 605 bhp at 8000 rpm and 435 lb.-ft. of torque at 5750 rpm. The engine's block and heads are made of aluminum, and the water and oil plumbing is integrated into the casting whenever possible. All this helps to keep the weight at just 472 lb. Porsche's VarioCam system continuously varies the intake camshaft timing so maximum power output can be achieved over a broad range of engine rpm. Proper oil lubrication under extreme driving conditions is assured with a dry-sump system featuring 10 different pumps.

Zuffenhausen engineers also developed an impressive Porsche Ceramic Composite Clutch (PCCC) that measures only 6.6 in. in diameter and weighs a scant 7.7 lb. This is far smaller and lighter than the 911 Turbo's 15.0-in.-diameter and 15.4-lb. unit. And instead of using the standard dual-mass flywheel, the Carrera GT uses a patent-pending hollow transmission input shaft with an inner solid rod acting as a torsional spring to damp any power fluctuations from the engine. So thanks to the compactness of the clutch and the innovative "flywheel-less" package, the engine sits just 3.9 in. above the car's underfloor.
The Porsche Carrera GT comes equipped with the traditional 6-speed manual setup. Engineers admit they looked into the dual-clutch system similar to the one on the Audi TT, but it could not be developed in time for the GT's debut. But that's okay. For the purist who believes part of the driving excitement is manually selecting the gears and matching the engine revs with every downshift, the Carrera GT's light and precise short-throw shifter is sure to please.

Drawing again from experience in racing, Porsche engineers chose extremely lightweight and stiff carbon-fiber-reinforced-plastic (CFP) material to build the Carrera GT's chassis. It requires up to 1000 labor-intensive individual operations and takes about a week to complete. Each layer and each direction of the fiber is chosen to match a specific resin to ensure highest strength and stiffness. The 220-lb. body structure is the first road-going production car to have not only its entire monocoque chassis constructed from CFP, but also the subframe that cradles the engine.

Suspension duty at all four corners is handled by upper and lower A-arms with anti-roll bars. The springs and shocks are mounted inboard on the chassis and actuated by stainless-steel pushrods and pivot levers. Forged aluminum control arms and forged magnesium wheels are employed to minimize unsprung weight. Sticky Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires — front 265/35ZR-19 and rear 335/30ZR-20 — keep the Carrera GT glued to the asphalt. All-around 15.0-in. Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) are charged with the responsibility of slowing the GT.

On the outside, the Carrera GT sports a purposeful look. The Zuffenhausen family resemblance is clearly visible up front, with its twin raised fenders each incorporating two projector headlights. The strong shoulder line continues to the rear and blends into the long, muscular rear deck. The best view of the car is at the rear, from a high vantage point looking down at the meshed engine cover sculpted to follow the cockpit's two roll hoops. There is a large retractable wing, set off by wraparound taillights at the edges, capped at the bottom by two exhaust pipes hinting at the car's rocketlike speed.

While every technical aspect of the Carrera GT screams race car, there is nothing in the cockpit to suggest that this car is too racy to be driven every day. A snug driver's seat. Abundant leather upholstery and trim. The familiar Porsche instrument panel. Everything in the car is within easy reach of the driver. Even the shifter that may first appear to be higher than normal on the center console is, in fact, perfectly placed and close to the steering wheel. There are power windows, air conditioning and a stereo with a CD player. These are amenities expected in any road car.

On the road, the Carrera GT's long 107.5-in. wheelbase helps give the car a firm but comfortable ride. The suspension is taut, and the power-assisted steering is quick but confidence-inspiring. The V-10's powerband is so broad that passing slower traffic doesn't always require a downshift. There is tremendous torque available in any gear. In fact, a Porsche engineer said that he could drive the GT from its Leipzig factory to the Zuffenhausen headquarters, keeping it in 3rd gear the whole way.
So on a beautiful sun-soaked day, relax, take the lightweight 5.3-lb. roof panels off and find a twisty road where you can be accompanied not by Mozart but the symphony and the power of the V-10 orchestra. What can be better?

Well, maybe nothing — until you drive this Porsche on a racetrack. The athleticism hidden underneath the Carrera GT's carbon-fiber exterior is awesome to experience. The best advice is to leave the traction control on. The 435 lb.-ft. of torque from the lightning-quick-revving V-10 will build so quickly that your brain won't register it fast enough to send a signal down to your right foot to ease off the throttle. Don't worry, Porsche's traction-control system chimes in lightly and still allows much freedom for wheelspin and hard cornering. In fact, during our straight-line acceleration tests, traction control enabled drop-clutch launches. Holding the engine at 3000 rpm and dropping the clutch produced ample wheelspin to catapult the car to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds, and to the quarter-mile mark in 11.3 sec. at 131.6 mph.

Approaching a corner, the Porsche's ceramic composite brake rotors work with confidence. On turn-in, the GT's lateral grip is excellent. The car is quickly guided to the apex with stability. Exiting the corner is when the driver has to be patient to unleash all of the V-10's might. Too eager on the throttle and the rear will step out. Even then, the onset of oversteer is so progressive that it will never catch you by surprise. The Carrera GT threads through our slalom course with an exemplary average speed of 71.1 mph. It circled our skidpad while generating an excellent 0.99g of lateral acceleration. No hint of fade is detected after repeated ABS stops. And all this is accomplished despite using a less-than-ideal and dusty test track.

It's hard not to mention the Ferrari Enzo, or the venerable McLaren F1 when talking about the Porsche Carrera GT. The McLaren F1 was developed based on Gordon Murray's vision with no limitation on resources. The Enzo is the ultimate road-going Ferrari infused with Formula 1 history and technology. The Porsche Carrera GT comes into being from motorsports as well, but following the same Zuffenhausen tradition seen on the Boxster and the 911s that even a supercar must also be refined for the road. So take your pick on which one suits you the best. All three deserve respect. All three are thrilling extreme machines that will look good in anyone's garage.

The Competition

The British McLaren F1 was intended to be the fastest machine on four wheels. The Italian Ferrari Enzo gives you a visceral driving experience like no other car on the planet today. And, the German Porsche Carrera GT is a Le Mans racer you can drive every day. The experiences offered by these three supercars are as distinctive as their countries of origin.
Porsche 911
Old 06-19-2004, 12:44 PM   #289
st-anger
Regular User

posted by ahmedgiyab

Porsche GT coupe (4 door) in 2008

Like the CLS (a 4 door coupe)....

engines: 340, 450, 612HP
est. price: €220,000

Sorry I couldn't find any eng sites...

http://www.auto-motor-sport.de/d/57733

http://www.autorevue.cz/Bleskovky/AR.asp?ARI=3193
Porsche 911
Old 06-19-2004, 01:28 PM   #290
lakatu
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger
7:28 for the CGT isn´t that bad ~ the time HvS claimed under dry conditions for his test,
I don't mean to beat this issue to death. I understood that WR drove the 7:28 time reported in AB but I thought from your post above that the 7:28 time recorded by WR was the same as the "the time HvS claimed under dry conditions for his test". Has HvS recorded a 7:28 dry lap time also?

Also, interesting comments about the future rules on the NS. So I guess that means we won't be seeing in camera NS laps anymore? What does this mean for the Super Test? I can't imagine that they will stop recording lap times for the Super Test.

I also find your comment that Porsche rules the NS interesting. When you look back historically 911's have always seemed to record the fastest times for their respective era. This along with the 911 domination of motorsports in their respective classes provides more evidence that the rear engine design is not a flawed design.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #291
HoboPie
Regular User

I believe 7:28 was what HvS thought he could do in the CGT IF the conditions were dry. He unfortunately was only able to test the CGT in wet conditions at 7:40.

Now a 7:28 has apparently been recorded by WR and HvS prediction just gives it a bit more legitimacy.(not that we would doubt it)
Old 06-19-2004, 02:29 PM   #292
lakatu
Regular User

Thanks HoboPie that makes more sense. Amazing how accurate the prediction was.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:53 PM   #293
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by lakatu
Thanks HoboPie that makes more sense. Amazing how accurate the prediction was.
exactely, HvS clocked a 7:40, this is his comment:

"low temperatures ( test date was end of october in the late afternoon ), damp and partly wet track, TC on, so this time is defintely the minimum and under better conditions this time should be beaten by at least 10 seconds..."

...as you pointed out, HvS already knew in october 2003 what´s possible with the CGT, another good reason why i can say without any doubt that SA in combination with HvS is definitely the european test mag, hand´s down...
so i´m VERY curious about the second SA test with the CGT, i´m quite sure HvS can clock a high sub 30 under perfect conditions with TC off, we´ll see...

and not future rules lakatu, they´re already implemented, but again, this is not about limitation, it´s about safety!!!
so NS GmbH has an eye on the "tourist drivers" and not that much on industry, so there won´t be a general filming ban, or lap time measurements e.g. for SA, the main issue are those drivers who aren´t aware of the risk when driving on NS, e.g. we never had any problems with NS GmbH, never....
but e.g. when you as a private person are caught filming your lap, there might occur some problems, nevertheless, don´t believe that this is the end of nice NS films, definitely NOT, ppl are slowing down at the first few corners, install their mini dv´s and tape everything, so it´s not that bad, but the security guy won´t let you pass the gates if you have a camera installed....

yeah, no other manufacturer is that often at NS than Porsche, as i told you before we´re running a own test center near NS and this facility is nearly running 24/7 the whole year, and EVERY Porsche is tested to death at NS, not only because it´s the most challenging area a car can be tested but we´re simulating the ageing process of the cars there, some hard laps at NS is equally some ten thousand km´s under normal conditions...
so Porsches are raised at NS so it´s quite clear that they´re always "quite" fast there...
Porsche 911
Old 06-19-2004, 06:20 PM   #294
RC45
Regular User

7:28... we are then to assume that the extreme top end is what is helping achieve this time.

As these 2 cars will probably not be moving through the twisty sections much faster that the other "very fast 'Ring runners".

This year, are there any signicant changes that may have been made to certain bends (entry and exit) surface that would maybe allow .5s or so on consecutive bends?

Perhaps we will see some other cars timed in the last year come back, and also amazingly shave 10 or 15 seconds off their times.

But you are correct - 7:28 for a street car is quite astonishing.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 06:28 PM   #295
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
7:28... we are then to assume that the extreme top end is what is helping achieve this time.

As these 2 cars will probably not be moving through the twisty sections much faster that the other "very fast 'Ring runners".

This year, are there any signicant changes that may have been made to certain bends (entry and exit) surface that would maybe allow .5s or so on consecutive bends?

Perhaps we will see some other cars timed in the last year come back, and also amazingly shave 10 or 15 seconds off their times.

But you are correct - 7:28 for a street car is quite astonishing.
....no, nothing has changed at NS over the past years, but keep in mind, a perfect lap at NS is one of the few things that is IMPOSSIBLE, even guys like WR´ll say after a very fast lap that it indeed was extremely fast but he´ll also add some side comments like: ".... missed the exit at schwalbenschwanz...." so you´re "right" lap times may differ, but definitely not 10-15 secs, as we know at the limit even 3 seconds are very very much at NS, again, the only thing that really changes lap times are the tyres....
Porsche 911
Old 06-21-2004, 02:33 PM   #296
st-anger
Regular User

:arrow: Motorvision 997 video
Porsche 911
Old 06-21-2004, 04:36 PM   #297
TT
Regular User

Here is the direct url: http://video.sport1.de/pub/Video/msm...e_wmt_adsl.asf
Old 06-21-2004, 05:27 PM   #298
st-anger
Regular User

MOVED

posted by evopanda

Porsche Carrera Cup (Asia)

I went to the paint shop inside Porsche Thailand today to check up on progress of my Evo's paint job.. and sitting there amongst all the expensive cars that i'd normally see there.. was 3 race cars from the Carrera Cup. These 3 had body damage from the race that took place last Sunday on Thailand's Bira Circuit..

Luckily I'm friends with one of the drivers of one of the cars, and he let me take some pictures.. which i'm sure you'd all like to see...

Sorry if some of them are blurry, but I couldn't exactly walk in there with a tripod (which is what i'd normally do when doing this sort of photography)

Enjoy the pics

(I hope i'm posting them in the right forum.. sorry if I didn't!) :roll:
EDIT: no problem, thx for the pics

Porsche 911
Old 06-21-2004, 05:45 PM   #299
st-anger
Regular User

Porsche 993 M64/60 Turbo engine

:arrow:

page1
page2