Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 03-20-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
biff19_a
Regular User

Default WRC and why is it not in the biggest market in the world?

ok can anyone explain to me why that the WRC isnt in the US...i mean its the biggest market for a few of the manufactures but yet place like Cyprus and Turkey get choice over it???
biff19_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
stracing
Regular User

not sure
prolly americans think they are just riced up jap/euro trash? *shrugs*

maybe chevrolet needs to enter their corvette then prolly it will gain notice
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
Tomerville
Regular User

FIA had plans to have a sort of plains rally, similar to the one in Kenya which would take place in Montana, but it fell through because it would be too hard for spectators to fly out to the middle of nowhere. Also, to my knowledge there arn't any big US drivers. The US does have a pretty big SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) rally season which travels around, but it isn't as big as the FIA's WRC.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:07 AM   #4
davmac
Regular User

one reason might be FIA is a french organization and we all know how much the french like americans.
Another reason might be that the ford focus is the only american car in the wrc and the focus is more of a european car than an american car
Also, i think part of the appeal or the wrc is the exotic locations and i don't think the US is very exotic to most people.
davmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:19 AM   #5
stracing
Regular User

you think perth is an exotic place?
outside the city is just a dust bowl haha
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:29 AM   #6
davmac
Regular User

haha, i guess it's not, but australia is a little more exotic than the states in my opinion
Old 03-22-2004, 12:38 AM   #7
biff19_a
Regular User

thats because you live jsut north.... there has been rumours of one... but it nevers goes through... same with another snow event in canada..up around i think its call the peirce de neige...
as for the cars... ford, subaru, mits, all are in this market...but still... its like F1 alot got mad when montreal got dropped over the tobacco laws... even honda was willing to pay the extra money to drop the lucky strike name... its amazing that in there ferrarri, jordan, and mclearn hold soo much power
biff19_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:45 AM   #8
davmac
Regular User

ya, i still think the US would be a good place for a wrc event. You could have virtually any condition you wanted for a rally such as a snow rally in alaska, or a dessert rally in texas. I also think canada would be good for a snow event but probably neither will go through.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:02 AM   #9
Tomerville
Regular User

one reason might be FIA is a french organization and we all know how much the french like americans.
Differences are set aside when money is involved...

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #10
SPAD
Regular User

U KNOW IT DOSENT ALWAYS SNOW UP HERE IN CANADA!

lol

I think we need a rally here too
Old 05-01-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
Schwalbe

Originally Posted by SPAD
U KNOW IT DOSENT ALWAYS SNOW UP HERE IN CANADA!

lol

I think we need a rally here too
LOL Well said SPAD about the snow.

I will like to see the WRC in Canada because we have several possible places to compete.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:21 AM   #12
X-ale
Regular User

Last year the Charlevoix rally of Quebec was the only north american entry officialy accepted, and not to be entered before the 2006 season so it`s kinda on stand-by... plus a rally event can only be part for 1 competition and since this year the Charlevoix event withrawed from the local/national championship so it could be available for wrc testing in 2005 and ready in 2006...
X-ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #13
kramerman
Regular User

I think probably because it's too complex to host something that complex in the US!... WRC has things like television rights, and road closing etcetc so they are probably just more used to doing things the common way. Just a layman's view, but what can the US offer (in terms of variety) that isn't already provided for in the current countries?

I was in perth for a few years and saw the WRC rally being held.. i think with the amount of work that goes into it, perhaps a big country like the USA doesn't see the return...
kramerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:53 AM   #14
sads
Regular User

maybe simply because the audience isnt there? Americans seem to be to busy watching crap Nascar
sads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #15
homemade wrx
Regular User

from all the reading I have done they wan't to bring it stateside and so they started with mexico being, a race in the states would be too expensive....?
They did mexico more as a testing of the waters from what I have read.