Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-05-2004, 04:01 AM   #1
Saktown1
Regular User

Default A4 computer chip. Whats the best?

I HAVE AN A4 AND AM LOOKING TO CHIP IT. ANYONE KNOW WHATS THE BEST CHIP TO GET. NEUSPEED, APR, REVO, ETC...

IS FLASHING THE COMP BETTER OR IS SOLDERING A CHIP?
Saktown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:03 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

I can't really help you, but please don't use CAPS LOCK
Old 03-05-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
espen
Regular User

Go for a reputable german chip -> MTM (preferred) Hochenester or SKN seem to be the best choices form the cars I've had or driven. MTM spend mote time on one chip than Superchip spend on ten. Goes without saying that the end product of endless hours on a dyno by qualified ex Audi engineers will produce excellent results
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
Saktown1
Regular User

Thanks I'll check them out.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:02 PM   #5
oscargarza88
Regular User

it depens, what motor does it have? the 1.8t?
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:28 PM   #6
Saktown1
Regular User

Yeah. The cars a 1.8T Quattro Sport
Old 03-06-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
oscargarza88
Regular User

Originally Posted by Saktown1
Yeah. The cars a 1.8T Quattro Sport
for that engine u can go to
www.18turbo.com
all ingo about cars with that engine and what to do with them
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
StanAE86
Regular User

When I was researching Audi stuff (never ended up getting the car) I was thinking if I was going to chip, I'd go with Total Audi Performance stuff. They look pretty good: www.TAP1.com
Old 05-18-2004, 02:00 PM   #9
Apac102
Regular User

I have the APR chip for my S4 and its working great.
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:40 PM   #10
novass
Regular User

Man, im still undecided on what to do to my A4. I was thinking instead of a chip, I was going to get a boost controller. All the chips seem to run the turbo at about 11-12psi and I dont know if I want it running that high all the time.

I have seen a bunch of good reviews on this particular boost controller. www.splitsec.com retail is about 250-300 USD and from my understanding it alters the air/fuel as you up the boost.

What other mods do you have done to your A4 if any? Let me know what you decide to get and how it works out cause im still undecided on what to do to mine.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:45 AM   #11
novass
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ If you are going to tune it go for a decent chip mtm, apr or Hochenester along with that you get a K&N filter, the next step is exhaust and larger turbo if you do that you should also change your clutch as the stock one will have trouble with the tourqe......
If you dont want to have the engine running at full boost all the time add a turbo xs boost controller and set it up for one nice boost and one more agressive.

I would have stayed away from that boost controller if I where you, not saying its crap, but Im implying it......
Oh I never bought the boost controller. I havent done anything to my car. Everytime I think about it and do some reasearch, everyone always says bigger turbo, but I dont really want to spend that much. If I do anything it will probably be just intake, exhaust and some suspension/brake work. Still a lot of money to do that, so I probably will never get around to it and instead just buy another project car LOL

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

If you want more power you have to change it,you can pull out about 200hp of it with the stock turbo without killing it, but if you wanna go further you have to change the snail house........
there is cirtailny more then that, when i had my saab 9000 turbo, i badly wanted to upgrade various parts... and a bigger turbo isnt the only answer to more power.

obviously a free'er flowing intake will reduce spool up times, giving a longer torque curve... but there are also things like bigger injectors, combined with fuel pressure regulator, and fuel pump..... also a modified cylinder head will give great hp and torque increases (likely to run about 800-1000 for a 4 banger). the ECU is more then just adding more boost, its a re-mapping of the fuel/air ratios to improve performance along virtually all rev ranges.

also, most turbos can safely spin for very long periods of time above 100,000 rpms, and even if it does increase the psi before activating the wastegate, it all depends on throttle control... eg, you dont have to full throttle it to get the performance you used to have.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:01 PM   #13
initiala4
Regular User

Well depending which A4 you have. If you have B5 or even B6, I would either pick ABT or MTM. Most likely the best choice is a local tuner that carries whatever brand of chip. Just incase if the chip decide to go crazy, atleast there is someone local to sort it out for you...rather than waiting a few days.
initiala4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:07 PM   #14
challengestradale
Regular User

hey guys were do you get all this info?

im trying to get ALL THE WAY into cars do you have any links or books that get more techinical stuff than magazines do?

im about to start a course of mechanincs. i hope at the end i know at least all the things that you know!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 06:24 PM   #15
PaulGT2164
Regular User

i have installed several APR chips and always have been more than happy with them, i highly reccomend the APR chips