Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 02-13-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
levensnevel
Regular User

Default WRC or F1

With the 2004 WRC season already on its way and the 2004 F1 season kick off in a few weeks time I would like to know which of these 2 competions is your favorite.
And obviously why.

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

WRC for me... not sure why, because usually the idea of all the cars together on the same track is more appealing to me... but WRC is special, I always considered WRC drivers 100 times more carismatic and cool than F1 drivers, and BTW this season the battle will be fierce for sure
Old 02-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #3
possessed_beaver
Regular User

F1, my kinda lifestyle
drugs, drinking partying.. and driving!!!

but i only get 2 see WRC in person.
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
jeroen40
Regular User

F1 for me too, but just because the technical side, it's just amazing on what standard the cars are at the moment, very fascinating, but wrc kicks ass to, I just love most of the racing classes... but one has to be best
jeroen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
geekdiggy
Regular User

WRC all the way. i have a deep love for F-1 but i mean, nothing is EVER as cool/exciting as guys going sideways as fuck on every race surface known to man, instead of just tarmac and wet tarmac. also, wrc cars are based on regular road cars so it has a tie to the everyday driver, thus people can relate. and i honestly can't see why anybody would choose any other form of motorsport over wrc 8)

hard to hit in only three tries.
geekdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
hwe
Regular User

Tough one...
They are two completely different kind of motorsports, and I need both, so difficult to choose..
If I had to pick one it would be Formula 1 because of more extensive and live TV-coverage.
x 1993 Saab 900i 2.1
hwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
davmac
Regular User

wrc because it's driven on real roads with real cars
davmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
alondahan
Regular User

easy - F1 . I like WRC too, but I like F1 much more.
alondahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:28 PM   #9
wahhaj
Regular User

blah.. works wrc cars are anything but road cars, and almost as exclusive as F1 cars, actually they would be except for the fact its possible to buy one and run it as a privateer in the same series, but if you want to say they are real sure they are, as real as a f1 car.

so they used a road car bodyshell as a base but thats it, and even that is modified massively compared to anything you'll find in a showroom, and the all the rest of the parts are custom made and the cost is massive.. the only similarity between a road and wrc car of the same model is they outwardly look fairly alike.

hehe saying all that I still love wrc and watch it every chance I can
wahhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:32 PM   #10
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by jeroen40
F1 for me too, but just because the technical side, it's just amazing on what standard the cars are at the moment, very fascinating, but wrc kicks ass to, I just love most of the racing classes... but one has to be best
Yeah, F1 definitely, just because it is the pinnacle of motorsports in terms of technology. Everything from suspension to traction control to aerodynamics to engine developement.

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by davmac
That's also the reason I prefer WRC. Anyway, they are completely different: you can compare F1 with the CART or Indy, but not with WRC. Technologically... F1 is the top, that's a fact, but a WRC, with a 2 liter Turbo engine with "at least 300hp" (I'm sure they have more than this), 4WD, three electronic differentials... They are also perfect!
True, but both are considered "World Sports" where as CART and Indy are not.

Come on, F1 has 3.0L V10s running at over 18000rpms pushing out over 800hps. . . that can't be wrong .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:32 PM   #11
spd
Regular User

For technical and sophistication point of view - Definitely F1, but for real racing and competitiveness - WRC.
spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:21 PM   #12
sads
Regular User

very tough choice f1 is the best of the best an f1 cars sound and go amazingly to watch but wrc is excellent to watch cars going crazy speeds thrrough d forest who dosnt like dat but id choose f1
Old 02-17-2004, 01:54 AM   #13
levensnevel
Regular User

I myself find it difficult to make a choice :roll:
But in the end it is the WRC competition :idea:
Contempory F1 is far to sterile for me. I prefer the drama of a three days' event on the open road.

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:22 PM   #14
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
WRC hands down, it`s a race that goes on for 3 days and to be the best you have to perform for 3 days in a row, and on every surface, and it can go from ice to dry roads on the same stage.
In formula one its a couple of hours one day its either dry or wet,and the conditions are the same for the whole course.

I love F1 racing dont get me wrong but the reason is the tech part, the drivers are not very "people friendly" either IMO.
I beg to differ, Friday's Practice and Saturday's Qualifying are all very much part of hte race.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:41 PM   #15
Bustov
Regular User

For me WRC is hands down my favorite motor sport. SCCA Pro Rally is nice to watch also. F1 has become to predictable, almost sterile. Although watching Schuy approach Fangio's record has been interesting.

My biggest fear is that the new rule changes in WRC are going to screw things up. For Colin Mcrae not to have a starting drive is just ridiculous. I know he crashs a lot and he probably wants more money than any other driver, but for me he is the most exciting to watch. Can he hold it together to win the rally. Solberg has this same potential to out drive every one else as long as he doesn't loose concentration and beat himself.
Bustov is offline   Reply With Quote