Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default 2001 Ducati Monster 900 i.e.

Here she is, home already, earlier than expected.

(Lame custom shot. Sadly no user manual was provided)

So far the record was the 944 as between the moment I first saw it and the moment she came home, little more than a week passed.

With the Ducati it was 6 days and I didn't even tested or taken it outside the showroom!

And you know what? I don't regret the move a single moment.

I am usually like that: I buy something and NEVER think it could have been a mistake.

And this bike really is spot on what I was looking for.

In 1994 when it was launched, I fell in love with the Monster, then a couple of years ago I was sort of fed up by it, mostly because of the fact naked are everywhere...
Then, last week, I saw this sweet lady staring at me from behind a window, fell in love again, put down the money and decided we'll have become a couple!

Today when I got the call, I almost fainted, and even if I was of course there with my suit and no jeans with me (planned to take some normal clothes tomorrow for the occasion), I ran to the dealer, jumped on it, and off I was.

Too early (did 80 km only) and too excited to give proper impressions, but so far, HELL YEAH!! It's a blast!
i often find bikes a bit too big for me, but the Monster seems to be built around a 170 cm tall man, not a single cm more, not one less!
The riding position is totally perfect for me. Comfortable yet sporty enough to put you in control. The handle bar is good enough, don't think I'll need to change anything there.
This shade of pearl blue is IMO interesting. Could be tiresome on the long run maybe.. in that case, matte black for sure!

No, for the riding impression... well, as said, everything is perfect. Maybe the clutch handle is a bit too far for me. Would like to have slightly longer fingers at times
Feet position is very good althouhg I'll need some time to get used to the rear brake. HDs always have big pedals while this is much smaller.

Operating the clutch needed some min to get used to. no more huge torque like in the Electra or Dyna, so you need some gas to avoid stalling it.
The gears selector is very sensitive too. You caress it, not kick it. Finding neutral is very immediate, even when the bike is hot.

I adore the Desmo sound so special! When you're low in the revs it seems the engine is suffering, but it's just an impression and anyway it quickly picks up.

I tried some small mountain roads behind home just for the hell of it and well, again, I'll need some time to trust myself as I was doing when I was 18-20 years old. Let's face it, I am an old fart now, and throwing myself into corners requires some more practicing. But the Ducati is a peaceful companion if you want it to be, so it will be nice to learn again with it.

As for engine grunt, fuck me, 76 hp maybe, but when you open wide, the thing really flies. If you never rode a bike you can't understand the totally different level on which they play, but I am sure you were overtaken at least once by a pretty average bike with no fuss at all when you were charging at full throttle down a straight road.

I didn't dare to rev it to the limit, partially because the bike spent some months in that garage, so it need to slowly get the hang of it too, and also because I was simply too scared to just do a wheelie

I tried some 3rd gear accelerations to have an idea, and it's impressive.
Below 3000 rpm there isn't much to do... when you get to 3000 the engine starts to come on boil and at 5000 rpm hell break loose. It's a V-TECH effect, but much stronger. like a turbo from the 80s. You really have to grab the handle bar if you want to stay with the bike.

I didn't try to pass 6000 rpm but I think there should be another step a bit higher in the revs.

But well, it's quite hard to practice such things on the open road. A short 3rd gear blast to 5800 rpm takes you above 140 km/h in a glimpse!

All in all, an amazing day today, and can't wait for the WE to come to fully enjoy the lady!!!

Last edited by TT; 02-07-2008 at 07:15 AM.
TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Damn. I think that's the bike for me, great compromise between race and cruiser. Ducati Monster, would be the perfect match for my friends Ducati 749.

Congrats TT! Great idea to spend the rest of these summer months.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

Cool! Looks like the Azzuro California color from Ferrari.

You got a 2 wheel Ferrari.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
TT
Regular User

Next step: Termignoni exhaust
Old 07-27-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
Ghostbat
Regular User

Congrats dude. Very nice bike and the color is perfect.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
yg60m
Regular User

Nice ride Matteo !! And like thamar suggest, a full suit would be welcome
Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 AM   #7
RAMMIUS
Regular User

Not a big fan of the colour, but I love the Monster since I saw it for the first time in the mid 90`s.
In black should be a killer.

Live to ride, ride to live Matteo
Old 07-27-2007, 03:55 AM   #8
ARMAN
Regular User

Hehe nice writeup I can see that its a very emotional bike you bought Drive safe

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Congrats old fart, the Monster looks really good in this color!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
gangajas
Regular User

Congratulations for your new bike, it is a beauty.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #11
TT
Regular User

Happy to see almost everybody likes the color so far! Actually it's even growing on me as I realize my Monster is unique. There are plenty matt black ones around afterall, but only one in some sort of Azzurro california

Originally Posted by thamar
TT, next step should be full suit

Friend of mine, who's riding for 7 years now, fell at 140km/h. The exact reason I don't know yet, it was a straight road...
But exept for his head, hands and right leg he is completely packed in bandages due to scrapewounds and burns.
He only had to go pick something up and didn't wear his outfit...
I always was a Sunday-biker I guess. leather bike jacket even when it's 35C like today, but never stood the full suit. you end up pathetically sweat and as soon as you leave your bike, you look like an asshole and you're not comfortable.
I already had such bruises myself and it's a PITA, and yet, I can't stand a full suit!

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
She's a beauty. Congrats Matteo for the new ride! You've had two Harleys before the Italian? Any similarities other than 2 wheels?
Only had a Dyna Glide. The second HD I drove was the Electra rented some days ago.

Similarities, 2 wheels apart, the big soul that fill such bikes. The riding experience is totally different, and yet, they are so similar: passion, sould, heart...
Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
sentra_dude

Nice write up TT. I really get the feel of what this bike is like from your descriptions. I'm not too sure about the color, but I guess it could have been worse. Ducati's always have a sound all to their own, that must be half the fun right there! Stay safe and please post a few more pics when you get a chance...

8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
You know what we call bikers?
The perfect organ donors, most of them are young, in relative good shape and mostly have deadly injuries.

There are all kings of suits, or pants/jackets combo's...

And every biker falls, sooner or later. It's not the question "if" but "when".
This is one time I have to side with the naked bear.

Bike riding is a one way ticket to crash - not if - but when.

The bike rider has a simple choice to make - "Do I want to sweat or bleed?" - then based on that choice choose some clothes.

Congrats on the bike TT, but the the "I dont liek to sweat" and " don't look to look like a Power Ranger" excuses are very poor.

If you love your family (after all they areht eones who would have to keep you alive after you go through the asphaslt cheese grater) then wear the appropriate gear

You might settle on a 2 piece suit, with black or dark blue leather biker pants with padding and reinforcements, proper riding boots with ankle protection and shin gurads, and stylish poserlishess proper RIDING (not fashion) Ducati leather jacket.

Then some decent road race gloves and helmet.

How ever you might choose to do the blue jeans tennis shoes and leather jacket thing - its up to you, but when you fall I kno wfor sure there will be one setup you will either be thanksful for wearing - ro wish youwere wearing

Goodluck and enjoy your new bike - it has got to better than a Harley at least
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
TT
Regular User

I know I am wrong and sounding irresponsible guys, and I know I am the first swearing against all those fuckheads riding their bike these days (35 C) with shorts, no shirt at all and most of the time, stupid swimming pool apparel...
I don't want you to misunderstand me and think I am a total idiot. Bikes scare me, as cars do. And yes, despite that, we can't just shut ourselves home and never leave in fear something will happen.

Yes, I know every biker has to fall, and already had some bike-bruises myself.

I was also remembered how hard bad luck can hit you, last year in december when I crashed in the 944.

I'll probably get some protection sooner or later, but definitely can't use it when going to work in the morning anyway. I'll have to be carefull and stay away from distracted car drivers I guess :bah: BTW, there were several bike accidents this week around here, with several casualties and most of them were wearing full suits. Sadly at a certain speed, there is Robocop's suit that could protect you

Now, for the funny part, the We is gone, and many km piled up, up and down mountain roads, on lake shores, on the highway, in town... and everywhere the Monster feels spot on

Can't wait to have the new mufflers, because, even if the sound is already 10 times better than any naked japanese bike around, it needs some more grunt!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #15
TT
Regular User

Couple more pics form today

It will have its own indepth on my website obviously, and actually I am wondering if I'll have a bike indepths section one day...