Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-09-2004, 06:43 PM   #1
ahmedgiyab
Regular User

Default Erase: top speed...250km/h (155mph) Electronically Limited..

I'm curious about this topic...is there any site for figures about the possible top speed for those cars which have this limitation (250km/h, 155mph) ?! Mostly German made cars...and (Jaguar)

In a test between two cars for example, without this info you can't say that this is faster than the other, just because you know the acceleration...! Maybe I'm wrong...
ahmedgiyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
deth
Regular User

umm if the cars have a similar Cd and rolling friction, the one with more HP will go faster. Acceleration is determined by the torque, whereas top speed is just dictated by HP without regard to weight.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
T-Bird
Regular User

WOW way to dig up a dead topic.

Yes you can get them raised in most cars and in some I guess it COULD be possible to remove it but it would be very difficult.
They had an Article about the CL65 with the raised limiter from the factory and alot of reprogrammed ECU's have a raised limiter.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:51 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
well, there are a couple weird things about this speed limiter business. some cars *say* that they are limited to 155, however they really aren't. they are able to go past this figure.....i have heard of a few cars doing this.

however, reprogramming the ECU or changing the ECU is definitely one way this could be accomplished. i dunno if it can be eliminated, but i think it can be increased.
A blast from the past...

Never heard of any "limited" cars not being limited if stated as such from the factory .

Now many end up in the hands of journos after the limiter has been removed though.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
SilviaEvo
Regular User

wow Jan 9th
Old 08-04-2004, 02:58 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by DrijF360
lol ye i saw a vid with the CL65 it's kind of irritating that mercs and bimmers have these limiters on them. couldn't find anything so i found it here not much has been said though. u guys know how to remove them?
Sure - simply search for the top tuners for the make and model you want to derestrict - and they will tell you the price and method to remove it.

Simple as that.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:32 AM   #7
Ghostbat
Regular User

The CL55 did 300km/h when tested by Motortrend in USA and the E55 will do over 300km/h.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:58 AM   #8
mindgam3
Regular User

Yeah as RC45 said, all limiters can be removed, it's not that hard if you know how.

The RS6 and some of the high end Audi models are known to have a fairly "flexible" limiter. I've heard that almost all RS6's will do about 170/180 or so when the manufacturer states 155.

The reason they have it in the first place i'm not quite sure, but its a gentlemans agreement between companies
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:28 AM   #9
cho_888
Regular User

It is to keeps the greens happy says JC. just like him i tihnk it makes cars with massive engines pointless. esspecially when you have a new M5 and your mate has a 5 series and they top out at the same speed. where is the fun in that?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:49 AM   #10
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by everso
well, there are a couple weird things about this speed limiter business. some cars *say* that they are limited to 155, however they really aren't. they are able to go past this figure.....i have heard of a few cars doing this.

however, reprogramming the ECU or changing the ECU is definitely one way this could be accomplished. i dunno if it can be eliminated, but i think it can be increased.
A blast from the past...

Never heard of any "limited" cars not being limited if stated as such from the factory .

Now many end up in the hands of journos after the limiter has been removed though.
Well, about the 155 limit, Audi f.e. is known to limit their cars so it can reach 155 mph under any condition, that's including uphill. So IRL their cars sometimes can reach 165 mph before being limited by the computer...
LotusGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:50 AM   #11
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by cho_888
It is to keeps the greens happy says JC. just like him i tihnk it makes cars with massive engines pointless. esspecially when you have a new M5 and your mate has a 5 series and they top out at the same speed. where is the fun in that?
It is because of the "Green Party" in germany who do not want pollution and low mpg figures... stupid idea really

To figure out possible top speed.... get the car in top gear at 2000rpm. Divide the speed by two thousand and times by the max rpm.

i.e in sixth gear @ 2000rpm a car goes 50mph.
If redline is 8000rpm then top speed is theoretically 200mph

N.B. ---> This is excluding factors such as drag or engines limitations of being able to pull top revs in top gear
Old 08-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #12
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by deth
umm if the cars have a similar Cd and rolling friction, the one with more HP will go faster. Acceleration is determined by the torque, whereas top speed is just dictated by HP without regard to weight.
dude,

thanks for the post. i always wondered what the difference of the two were.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #13
ahmedgiyab
Regular User

WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

My post is alive....

Now I know that its possible to remove it easily....it costs about €1000 for a MB....

If you drive a stock MB 500 above 250Km/h....it doesn't mean that you are really going

that fast....

What you see is always more than the reality by 10% (at least!)
Old 08-06-2004, 03:50 AM   #14
tanelvali
Regular User

new BMW M5 will have engine's redline at 8250 rpm, by knowing the transmission numbers we can calculate that in 6th gear and at 7250 rpm (100 less of the max rpm) new M5 will be travelling at about 330 kmh
tanelvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:18 AM   #15
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by tanelvali
new BMW M5 will have engine's redline at 8250 rpm, by knowing the transmission numbers we can calculate that in 6th gear and at 7250 rpm (100 less of the max rpm) new M5 will be travelling at about 330 kmh
Actually that is 1000 rpm less than the redline. As far as I'm concerned it's not that easy to calculate the actual top speed. You need to now things like the size of the tyres and drag coefficient. And are you sure that the new M5 will reach it's top speed in 6th gear, even if it sounds about right that 7th will be an overdrive to lower the revs.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote