Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion

Old 12-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
dm_h_2007

Default Clarkson reviews the 599

driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2515678,00.html

It's his typical "loves it, hates it" routine.

Hates it - "The 599 was hopeless. Its automatic wipers couldn’t cope, either not working at all or scraping themselves noisily over a bone-dry screen. The headlights had the power of candles in jam jars. The heater wouldn’t heat and the air-conditioning wouldn’t chill. Furthermore, the radio was all in German and the sheer size of the thing made it a nightmare on the tiny lanes round these parts.

Ferrari may have designed the 599 to be a comfortable long-distance cruiser. They may have thought hard about making it a usable everyday car, but as I picked my way along the verge, squeezing past Minis coming the other way, and being dazzled by the “ambient” interior lighting, it was immediately obvious that they’d failed completely. It’d have been easier to circumnavigate the Arc de Triomphe in a rickshaw. "

Loves it - "It accelerates with a savagery known only to silly mid-engined supercars or plastic bathtubs from Caterham. It rides on its tall tyres with a composure that’s almost diplomatic in its smoothness. And believe me on this: it looks a trillion times better in the flesh than it does in the pictures. It’s not pretty but it has the brooding presence of a mafia hitman.

Yes, Aston Martin can sell you a better looking two-seat GT car for half the price. Yes, Porsche can sell you a wilder ride and yes, in the current climate, a helicopter would be a better long distance tool. But none of these things feels quite so gratifying, or sorted, or sensational as the 599.

One day cars like this will be outlawed by a combination of laws and dirty looks. But until that day comes, put up with the many, many foibles and irritations. And just get one. "

dm_h_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Dubai
Regular User

Niiice, I'm really thirsty to see TG
Dubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
TopGearNL
Regular User

A review by Clarkson as we know it
Old 12-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
dons5
Regular User

i think the best part was the whole it looks a trillion times better in real life than in pics or videos. I mean that applies to all cars but for some reason with Ferraris it applies even more I really dont know why, its weird.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by dons5
i think the best part was the whole it looks a trillion times better in real life than in pics or videos. I mean that applies to all cars but for some reason with Ferraris it applies even more I really dont know why, its weird.
Its the Ferrari passion feel!

Sameerrao knows what Im talking about, so do all the other carnuts
Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 AM   #6
blue8
Regular User

i can't wait for the Top Gear review (it better be reviewed in the upcoming season!) as well as a track test by the Stig!!!

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 AM   #7
deuces
Regular User

Does anyone have pictures of the "ambient" lighting on the interior? I'm interested to see what that looks like.
deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
dons5
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Originally Posted by dons5
Its the Ferrari passion feel!

Sameerrao knows what Im talking about, so do all the other carnuts
Yes that helps, but even looking at it from an unbiased point of view Ferraris look even better in person then other cars look when you see them in person. I dunno if it has something to do with the design philosophy of all there cars or what it is. I mean a regular 360 Modena, not the CS, just a regular one looks like a plain car in pics, u see one in real life ESPECIALLY if its on the road moving and it just looks unreal, so exotic and sexy looking. I dont see that in the pics. Now for example Aston Martins which are Beautiful too, when I see them in person I say yes it looks really good, but it still looks pretty much the same as it did in the pics, obviously it looks better cause its in person but when u see that Aston rolling by it doesnt hit you like the Ferrari does. Even a gallardo which is a more "outrageous" and "wild" design than the 430, when u see it in real life, the 430 just stands out way more, the details in the design the curves, the lines everthing. Even though the gallardo technically is the more wild and standing out design when u see them i person the "less wilder" looking Ferrari somehow stands out more its just crazy I dont know how Ferrari does it, ok i feel like im rambling on now sorry.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
5vz-fe
Regular User

Yep, that's Clarkson critisism alright
Old 12-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
martin100
Regular User

Old school Clarkson review. Can´t wait for the test in the show aswell. Hopefully next series. A 997 911 Turbo review would also be nice!
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote