Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
ae86_16v
Regular User

Default 2006 World Car of the Year

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/...tm?article=269

Originally Posted by BMW NA
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 13, 2006… The BMW 3 Series was voted the 2006 "World Car of the Year." The multiple-award winning 2006 BMW 3 Series received its latest kudos in an awards ceremony held in conjunction with the New York International Automobile Show.

"World Car of the Year" awards are voted on by an independent panel of automotive journalists from all around the globe. From an initial field of 27 contenders the 2006 3 Series was selected as one of three finalists before being declared this year's winner. "World Car of the Year" contenders must be available in most markets of the world and are judged on style, performance, handling, comfort and utility. Entrants were also judged for value, safety, environmental responsibility and significance.

Driving enthusiasts around the world have considered the BMW 3 Series to be an icon for its unique combination of these attributes. It is the quintessential luxury sports sedan. It is now available with xDrive all-wheel drive in two Sedans and one Sports Wagon model in the US. The aluminum/magnesium inline six-cylinder engine with Valvetronic technology reduces weight while at the same time improving both performance and fuel efficiency. The advanced Dynamic Stability Control system includes features such as Brake Drying, Brake Standby Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, and Comfort Stop. The outstanding value of the BMW Series is enhanced by outstanding residual values and free scheduled maintenance for four years or 50,000 miles.

"We are delighted to receive this recognition for the 3 Series," said Tom Purves, Chairman and CEO of BMW of North America. "The BMW 3 Series is the true embodiment of a world car. Designed and engineered in Germany, it is built on two continents and sold in approximately 140 markets worldwide. It is available in four difference body styles, everything from a Sedan and Sports Wagon to a Coupe and Convertible. It is available with a wide variety of engines ranging from four-cylinder diesels to high performance six-cylinders."
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
saadie
Regular User

3 series ... wth .....
in pakiland ... bemmers are kinda rare .... but even when a 3 series passes by .. i hardly notice it .. haha this is pathetic ...
Old 04-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Thta's the new ugly 3 series?

What a shame...

the previous 3 series was one of the all time greatest shapes any car ever had... the new one - sucks.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
5vz-fe
Regular User

It may drive nice, but it sure looks like crap. Hope the coupe will match better witht that title
Old 04-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

The advanced Dynamic Stability Control system includes features such as Brake Drying, Brake Standby Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, and Comfort Stop.
See - these used to be skills a good driver would master - all these "tech aids" are producing less able drivers, as the drivershave no idea how to cope when/if the systems fail or are disabled.

:roll:
Old 04-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
r2r
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
...the previous 3 series was one of the all time greatest shapes any car ever had... .
I have to agree with you on that one, the previous 3 series was one of the most beautiful car designs, and I think still is.
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r
Originally Posted by RC45
...the previous 3 series was one of the all time greatest shapes any car ever had... .
I have to agree with you on that one, the previous 3 series was one of the most beautiful car designs, and I think still is.
Exactly...

That shape is well balanced, poised and aggressive while being just conservative enough it is not boy-racer or ricer.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #8
Just_me
Regular User

well deserved
Old 04-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
Zot09
Regular User

Just like a lot of you guys, I thought the new 3-series was a de-evolution from the previous generation. But after a while(and a test drive), I have grown to love this car. I may even be an owner of a new 325i in the near future. Just like Just_me said, it is well deserved.