Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-11-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
modena626
Regular User

Default intakes

is it safe to put an intake in a 1999 lexus rx 300? if so can you please refer some? thanks a lot
modena626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:25 AM   #2
adamk24
Regular User

Although most of what the company makes is junk, weapon R makes a very good cold air box for the Rx series.

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-24286.cfm

You can order it with or without the cold air sheidling (the box part) although for a daily car, the extra outlay is worth it, as it will do an excellent job of keeping the air around the filter cold, and keeping hot engine air away. Some thermal coat on the Aluminium intake pipe is my personal recommendation (as always) to keep the intake pipe from absorbing heat from the engine bay. It wont look to good, but if your buying it for added reliability and performance (and sound, my favorite intake by-product) then it will really help.

You can also get high flow filters

http://www2.lexpartsonline.com/parts...ter&category=B But that wont really do much, other than save you the cost of replacing them vs washing.

Honestly, I would just go to any sport performance shop, and ask them to make you up a better intake pipe if you want one. This would be the easiest way to do it. Just ask them what would be best and they will most likely make you up an ABS plastic shielded pipe made out of ceramic coat aluminium. At least thats what I would do if I wanted to put an intake on a car not often modified.
adamk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
modena626
Regular User

the cold air box you have on there is for 2000 and newe, but they have another intake that is for the 99 can you take a look at that and tell me if it's ok?
Old 12-12-2004, 03:24 AM   #4
adamk24
Regular User

the cold air box you have on there is for 2000 and newe, but they have another intake that is for the 99 can you take a look at that and tell me if it's ok?

I know it says 00+ on there, but the cold air box should work on your vehicle as well. Although taking a look at the other intakes they make, I still think it would be alot better to just go to a custom shop and get a better one made speciality.

However, if you dont have alot of money, I guess you could use one of these intakes, however the performance benifit would be minimal if any. Although the engine might sound a little different, RX's arnt performance machines, and it wont make a particularly sporty noise.
adamk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:00 AM   #5
T-Bird
Regular User

get a K&N cone filter and a hose clamp that's all you need.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
modena626
Regular User

ok thanks a lot
Old 12-13-2004, 05:37 AM   #7
Pokiou
Regular User

just for my own knowledge do u mean .. intake manifold, cold air intake, intake cams.. gears ?? what ??
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
modena626
Regular User

cold air intake