Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-05-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
dons5
Regular User

Default Veyron in Production Finally!

Hey to all you Bugatti/Veyron fans i found this written up by someone on some forum who knows if it's true though:

"Bugatti Sends Veyron 16.4 Into Production

After four years of development, the Bugatti Veyron 16.4, as it will now be called, is ready for series production. The most exclusive sports car of all time is following in the footsteps of the legendary Bugatti, those universally-coveted limousines and unbeatable racing cars of the 1920s and 1930s which today are among the most sought-after creations from the early days of automobile construction.

This brings to an end the era of design models and concept cars which since the late 1990s have signposted possible paths to the Bugattis of the future. Design and technological concept have finally become reality in the Veyron model’s final form and will be available from the beginning of 2004 as a strictly limited edition of just 300 cars. Technologically futuristic and packed with creative engineering, the first Bugatti of the 21st century has arrived.

Merging the Past and the Future

The Bugatti Veyron 16.4’s home is in Molsheim-Dorlisheim, the French town where, almost 100 years ago, Ettore Bugatti began to realize his lifelong dream of being a car manufacturer.
The new workshop is not just where the engine and vehicle are assembled and tested, it is also the place where customers collect their Bugattis and drive them out onto the streets for the first time.

The aim is to turn Molsheim into an all-round Bugatti centre once again. While up to 70 new vehicles a year are built by hand in the new facility, neighbouring specially-equipped workshops are the scene of expert restoration work on historic Bugatti vehicles. Both past and future have found a new home here.

High Performance

The car’s safety systems have been designed to cope with its extraordinary performance, acceleration and speed. The single-piece carbon fibre monocoque alone scores maximum points in crash tests, while airbags give the driver and passenger additional protection. The high-speed tires designed specially for the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 (for vmax. > 350 km/h), sizes 265-680 R 500 A (front) and 365-710 R 540 A (rear), incorporate a further innovative safety feature in the form of the PAX System fitted to the wheels and tires, ensuring safe handling even after sudden pressure loss. Another Bugatti Veyron 16.4 component with a safety element is the rear spoiler. As well as providing the necessary downforce during high-speed travel, it acts as a kind of ‘parachute brake’ during emergency braking. Once precisely-defined deceleration forces are registered the spoiler tilts and the additional air resistance this generates reduces the braking distance to that of a lorry.

The Art of the Machine

The W16 alloy engine developed by Bugatti for the Veyron 16.4 will have a special and absolutely unique place in the history of sports car construction. Its design employs the space-saving VR principle with two particularly slender eight-cylinder blocks arranged at a 90° angle to each other.

1001 horsepower equip the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 with a level of acceleration unheard of in the sports car segment, propelling it from 0 to 62 mph in just three
seconds and past the 200 mph mark in a mere 14 seconds. Thanks to its 923 lb-ft, the Bugatti Veyron 16.4’s enormous propulsive power is not exhausted until it reaches
252.3 mph (406 km/h): the maximum speed for which chassis and drive train have been designed. Any further performance escalation is limited by current design and construction.

Also unique is the power transmission via an innovative directshift gearbox. Without any interruption in the power flow, the sequential seven-speed gearbox transmits the engine’s power to the wheels via permanent four-wheel drive. Put simply, this means uninterrupted acceleration from a standing start to maximum speed: a feeling previously known only to jet pilots.

Exclusive, Classical, Functional

Both exclusive and highly functional, the interior of the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 will transport you to a world of your own. Superb leather, also two-tone if desired, quality metallic trim and beautifully designed and ergonomically laid-out controls characterize the Veyron cockpit.

The Bugatti Veyron 16.4 instruments, with a large central rev counter surrounded by four smaller additional instruments also conjures up memories of the marque’s legendary motor sport past. The deliberate avoidance of superfluous instruments and modern extras are an unmistakable statement of the car’s uncompromising sportiness.

Unchanged on the series version of the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 is the classical two-tone paintwork. The designers have selected five separate colour combinations for the car: Each of the combinations features the bonnet, roof and rear in the darker of the two colours, with the sides and front wheel arches in the lighter colour.

According to Dr. Thomas Bscher, head of Bugatti, the first Bugatti Veyrons will be delivered to customers in the second half of 2005.

About time as well. I can't wait to see the independant acceleration tests for this car. It should well and truly trash all existing performance benchmarks set by everything except most likely the Dauer 962 Le Mans, a car with Group C race-car heritage and pedigree.

But the most important facts from the article:

0-320km/hr: 14 seconds (McLaren F1 28 seconds, F2003-GA approx 8 seconds)
7 speed twin-clutch semi-automated manual transmission (like Audi DSG and Porsche PDK)
vMax - 406km/hr
Michelin PAX 265-680 R 500 A front tyres
Michelin PAX 365-710 R 540 A rear tyres
8.0 litre W16 quad-turbocharged engine
923lb/ft torque from 2250-5000rpm
1001bhp at 6000rpm
All-wheel-drive.

This car has truly staggering performance specifications. And I hope we will see a full lap from in it around the Nordschliefe with a race-driver at the wheel"

the rears are 365's!!!! F2003ga 0-320 in 8s thats some serious speed man
dons5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:45 AM   #2
Gumball0r
Regular User

Damn, thats good news
Old 11-05-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
jon_s
Regular User

Christ! Could it finally be ready! 8)

I hope it is, I really do!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
dropot2
Regular User

I'll believe this when I see some photo of the Veyron in production... :roll:
dropot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
dons5
Regular User

ya who knows it could be bs, but it seems really proffessional and long and stuff
Old 11-05-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
dropot2
Regular User

Originally Posted by dons5
ya who knows it could be bs, but it seems really proffessional and long and stuff
Agree, but we have had so many deceptions with the Veyron that I prefer to be pessimist...
dropot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:06 AM   #7
dons5
Regular User

well i personally belive its bs, but then theres this lil side thas sayin u know maybe this time it really is for real, but i keep tellin him to shut up cause it cant be lol
Old 11-05-2004, 10:19 AM   #8
mrpushrod
Regular User

To be honest I'm not too worried, I doubt this car will be particularly involving or agile. There is way too much concentation on two figures, 1001hp and 250mph.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:26 AM   #9
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by dropot2
I'll believe this when I see some photo of the Veyron in production... :roll:
As we say here... pics or STFU! Finally... a good new about the Veyron.
LOL, we should send that to Bugatti!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
is64fun
Regular User

but will it be controlable? i think this is the main question. you can put a rocket engine and then it will be even faster than the current version but can you control that much power? think of the heat from the wheels and the brakes that will come out when you are going with 400 kmh and then suddenly brake hard! think of the crosswinds while going at 400 kmh! of course the engineers should have thought all of these but i do not still thrust. i think some of the lucky men who afford one will not be that much lucky in the future !

Some draws a car only. some, adds style and passion into it!
is64fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:23 AM   #11
abbor
Regular User

Originally Posted by is64fun
but will it be controlable? i think this is the main question. you can put a rocket engine and then it will be even faster than the current version but can you control that much power? think of the heat from the wheels and the brakes that will come out when you are going with 400 kmh and then suddenly brake hard! think of the crosswinds while going at 400 kmh! of course the engineers should have thought all of these but i do not still thrust. i think some of the lucky men who afford one will not be that much lucky in the future !
I really much doubt they have spent the last years making the engine fit into the car... They've probably thought about the steering :roll:
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:29 AM   #12
Vansquish
Regular User

I'm actually starting to get more excited about the Veyron. I've never been a huge proponent of the, "hit it with a bigger stick" methodology of solving problems (apparently Bscher believes in it hehe), but I'll be glad to finally see a Bug in action again. I miss the EB110 and while the Veyron won't be comparable to that car, to see it in action will be pretty exciting. However, I'm still pessimistic about the chances of it actually attaining 406km/h in final customer spec after all the worries over aerodynamic instability and tire technology. Anyway, only time will tell i guess hehe.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:40 AM   #13
is64fun
Regular User

Originally Posted by abbor
Originally Posted by is64fun
I really much doubt they have spent the last years making the engine fit into the car... They've probably thought about the steering :roll:
with that big wheel sizes in the front (265) i think steering is going to be a problem. think of the wheel holes in the body and the space required to turn them inside to the car. yeah, they should have thought all of the issues but do not forget the physics. it can be the fastest car but how about the details? how about the practicallity?
is64fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:32 PM   #14
bmwmpower
Regular User

i think, how many time VW on this car work, must be good,
fat car

and 0-320 in 14s? thats not possible
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:50 PM   #15
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Firslty...i see a bit exagerated and optimists its acceleration and maximum speed since it needs the McLarens half of the time for reaching the 320 km/h and i see impossible this goal....besides....the maximum speed reach depends much more on the cars aerodinamics rather than the power itself no matter how much power the car develops....finally...i think its possible to get a drivable car regardless the power as long as the electronical stuff such as stability control, launch control among others are optimised and properly set up...

Finally lets see how much i love the car, since 14 years ago Bugatti launched the most powerful car ever.... the EB110..but at the end of the day the car doesnt bring any excitement to the driver....if the Veyron doesnt bring any excitement either, i wont like the car too much although it develops 1000 bhp
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote