Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default Peugeot 308 RC Z Coupe Concept

Gallery

The Audi TT's shape is the envy of many designers who didn't think of it first, but that hasn't stopped Peugeot's designers from outright aping the Ingolstadt coupe with the 308 RC Z concept that will debut in Frankfurt come September. The car is meant to show us what can be done with the 308 beyond the basic 3- and 5-door body styles, in this case a 2+2 coupe. The front end is unmistakably Peugeot, while everything else reminds us instantly of the Audi TT, with that longish rear deck even evoking the Audi Avus Quattro Concept from 1991.

The 308 RC Z concept is based on the garden variety 308, which allows it to share many bits with its pedestrian sibling and make a better business case for production. In order to reduce weight, however, the 308 RC Z also uses aluminum components extensively, as well as some carbon fiber body panels. The car's total poundage comes to 2,645 lbs. (including fuel), which shouldn't be too difficult for its 218-hp 1.6L turbo four-cylinder sourced from the 207 RC to haul around. Peugeot estimates 62 mph can be reached after 7 seconds of full-throttle fun, while the party will poop out around 146 mph.

While the aesthetic is a hand-me-down from Audi, the 308 RC Z coupe makes a solid case for production thanks to its extensive parts sharing. A good reception in Frankfurt is all it likely needs for a green light.

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Shinigami
Regular User

A few more iterations from Peugeot, and the headlights will be the same size as the windshield.

But CF and Aluminium? Have they gone mad? This thing will cost waaaaay more then your average Peugeot, and that means that nobody (at least in France) will be buying it.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
silentm
Regular User

^^lol

well first thing i was thinking when i saw it was: a Cayman ripoff?
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I thought of Peugeot 308 + Nissan Z. The rear end especially.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
saadie
Regular User

anyone ever noticed ...
all the TT wannabes look alot better then the TT ....
Old 08-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
silentm
Regular User

Originally Posted by saadie
anyone ever noticed ...
NO
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Schwalbe

Originally Posted by saadie
anyone ever noticed ...
NO
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote