Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 09-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Sept 3rd - A ride in a Mazda RX8

Ok guys, you should be fed up by now by these "in depth" coverage, so this one is less wide that the previous ones, but at leat I had some material to start the new section of my website as it should!

So, we got an RX8 this morning. It's the 231 hp version and although in some pics it could seem black, it was a deep metallic green. Interesting.

What about the car... well, it's fine, it seems well built, typical japanese quality, nice looking. Inside it is roomy, the front seats are not enough supportive, especially for small persons like me. Also too soft maybe, but pretty comfy if you won't push the car too hard. The backseats as seen in many reviews, can accomodate a couple of adults for medium range travel in a decent way.

On the road, the ride good. Suspensions are firm, but not too much, it corners pretty well and is very stable. If pushed to the limit, it is the front that wash wide while the back seems impossible to upset if not with left foot braking. That's not a bad thing afterall, especially for unexperienced drivers.
What about the lack of couple we read about to many times? It's not a lie, if you want to overtake another car, you better be high in the rev range because in the lower part the engine is dead. Once on the boil, it keeps revving, up, up and up again to 9000 revs, making for an interesting sensation. It is weird to have a car revving so high and in which you can keep a given gear engaged for so long
it is fun for a while but the delivery is perfectly linear, there is no point in the rev range where you can feel something changing in the engine.. it just revs, revs and revs, and again in every gear, but it doesn't even a certain revs where the turbo kicks you butt or when a bypass valve opens or where the power has an abrupt peak, there is nothing like that.
The sound is better that in vids, both inside or outside, it is "different" and a pleasure. The buzz at the rev line seems way quiter than it was in the RX7.
Sadly we had not enough time with the cars to really stretch its legs or abuse the brakes, but it seems a very good package, it is cheap afterall, well built and all.
It might be a small engine, but revving like a fool, you still use a lot of petrol, probably something in the 16 liters / 100 km

:arrow: 15 high-res pics available

Now we will take a break for a week, but we should have a Corvette C6 right after that
Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
racer_f50
Regular User

great pics and nice short review
you're right is does look pretty black in some pics. It's good that I've seen one that color in real life to know it's a great color for the Rx8.
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
antonioledesma
Regular User

great review and photos TT. So the car is like everybody is saying... good but you would want more torque on the low band
in the first 2 pics the car shows it's true color, but if you hadn't told us, I would still have the idea it was black or grey
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
dingo
Regular User

Default Re: Sept 3rd - A ride in a Mazda RX8

Cool car, the pictures of course are great.

It wouldn't be my first choice of colour, but still looks neat.

Originally Posted by TT

Now we will take a break for a week, but we should have a Corvette C6 right after that
When you post pics of that could you please say the car is crap - just to get RC started.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: Sept 3rd - A ride in a Mazda RX8

Originally Posted by dingo

Originally Posted by TT

When you post pics of that could you please say the car is crap - just to get RC started.
Nice review of the RX8

That third picture probably looks far crazier than it really was

What spec C6?

Z51 option or the hairdresser suspended version?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:44 PM   #6
SilviaEvo
Regular User

hmmmm one thing is needed. more torque! its kind of sad because this car has a lot of potential but if you keep it in the right gear at the right time it can be very fun!
Old 09-03-2005, 12:21 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
hmmmm one thing is needed. more torque! its kind of sad because this car has a lot of potential but if you keep it in the right gear at the right time it can be very fun!
But all this and 16l/100kn??? Thats not very good for a "small" motor...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:34 AM   #8
blinkmeat
Regular User

Keep em coming Indeed.

TT : How do you come across these cars? Are you just going to dealerships, or are they friends cars?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:03 AM   #9
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by dingo

Originally Posted by TT

Nice review of the RX8

That third picture probably looks far crazier than it really was

What spec C6?

Z51 option or the hairdresser suspended version?
Well, I am not totally sure but I have the feeling it is the basic model. The dealership that will give it to us has that test car for quite a while.. before the Z51 kit was launched I think :bah:

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
Keep em coming Indeed.

TT : How do you come across these cars? Are you just going to dealerships, or are they friends cars?
Well, beside the Subaru, the others are all test cars from garages. We just explain them that we need to write a review about the car and take some pics. of course the fact it is a guy driving a 550 or a 355 helps a little bit

BTW, just came back home after a photoshoot with an Exige Mk II that one is a friend's car
Old 09-03-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
Wutputt
Regular User

No we certainly don't get fed up with these reviews. At least I don't. You me keep them coming TPAG (= the pics are great -> this makes it easier for me to comment your topics in this section )

A nice care, but I'm already a bit over it just as Dani. It was a cool fresh looking car when it was launched, but nowadays I don't really have that feel anymore about the RX8.

Btw, I'm really looking forward to the review of the Exige
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #11
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

hah.. thats a great idea going around in a ferrari tellin dealerships you need to "review" (beat) one of their sports cars and take some pics..

nice review, i agree with you all the way. the engine is very smooth and just loves to rev! nice power from ssuch a small engine, but with that power your bound to have some gas guzzling big or small engine...

keep the reviews coming you lucky bastard!
Old 09-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
ARMAN
Regular User

*ARMAN is jelows* Thanx for review and pics TT!

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:00 AM   #13
TT
Regular User

For the ones beeing able to read french, the review was published today
http://www.asphalte.ch/Auto/RX8/RX8-1.html