Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 03-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #16
cooperluke
Regular User

NFS Porsche Challenge, the sounds were really great!!
I still consider it one of the best car games ever!!

In the GT4.. only been playing today, so I still don't have a favourite sounding car.. lol

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
The sounds in GT4 IMO are mostly shit when compared to the real versions, this is the one and only thing that really gets me in GT4.

Best sounding cars are always race cars though, the M3 race car sounds pretty nice
ARe you comparing inside sound vs inside sound? Or outside sound vs inside sound? And for which cars.

I know I am very critical of PD and GT4 because from a physics and AI perspective it is very lacking - but the eye and ear candy was actually recorded from the actual vehicles - so if you hear a "wrong/bad sound" - thats because thats how it sounded on the day in real life when they copied it...

As an example - people think the Viper is a great sounding car - well from outside it is, but from inside it is not what is expected..

So, just wondering what would you suggest be done to make more "realistic" sounds - other than record the real thing.. hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #18
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
The sounds in GT4 IMO are mostly shit when compared to the real versions, this is the one and only thing that really gets me in GT4.

Best sounding cars are always race cars though, the M3 race car sounds pretty nice
ARe you comparing inside sound vs inside sound? Or outside sound vs inside sound? And for which cars.

I know I am very critical of PD and GT4 because from a physics and AI perspective it is very lacking - but the eye and ear candy was actually recorded from the actual vehicles - so if you hear a "wrong/bad sound" - thats because thats how it sounded on the day in real life when they copied it...

As an example - people think the Viper is a great sounding car - well from outside it is, but from inside it is not what is expected..

So, just wondering what would you suggest be done to make more "realistic" sounds - other than record the real thing.. hehe
Well both inside and outside....

Just because its recorded from real sounds doesen't mean they'll sound like the real thing in the game.

They haven't recorded every single car at every single rev under various loads, let alone under all the different tuning stages but have most likely extrapolated real life sounds for a few of the cars. They can't have the same quality in game as they recorded it, but I cant say any of the cars sound that good.

For example, the M3 CSL, Zonda, SLR and TVR's - some of the most distinct car sounds and none of them on GT4 sound anything like the real sounds - inside or out.

I've tested a fair few cars inside and out and the differences between inside and out are not the same as in real life, as well as the actual sound... its a big let down really for me as this is one thing i'd hoped they would have improved, couldnt really care about any improvements on AI.

IMO, nfsu2 sounds were better than GT4's. Even though they were mostly shit riced cars, they did sound like riced (mostly 4 pot) cars and IMO were fairly realistic, at least more so than the majority of GT4's
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #19
TransAm
Regular User

E46 M3 has a very raspy sound, almost like the rear muffler is loose, IRL, both with the roof up and down (my mate has a cabrio). E46 M3 on GT4 doesn't sound anywhere near it IMHO.

Try a 91 Honda CRX SiR. Having owned one IRL, it sounds like a race car over 6000rpm. Not in TG4, IMHO.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #20
RC45
Regular User

OK - so we have trashed the AI, the physics, the visuals and now the sound... that leaves the big question:

If PD got the sound, physyics, and visuals wrong - how can we rely on the tracks...

We have just concluded that GT4 is a piss poor arcade game with a high price tag and we were all suckered into buying it... hehe
Old 03-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #21
TransAm
Regular User

OK - so we have trashed the AI, the physics, the visuals and now the sound... that leaves the big question:

If PD got the sound, physyics, and visuals wrong - how can we rely on the tracks...

We have just concluded that GT4 is a piss poor arcade game with a high price tag and we were all suckered into buying it... hehe
They got the 'playability' and 'fun' factor right though, IMHO.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:08 PM   #22
mindgam3
Regular User

It has many flaws, but all are pretty much nit picking, we're expecting it to be exactly the same as reality but almost everyone (not just on JW) has missed the point that it's only a computer game.

Nothing wrong with the visuals IMO, car models are stunning, sounds could be better, not much wrong with the AI IMO (comparatively), physics is good IMO, apart from the apparently built in understeer on everything and tracks are accurate and detailed enough for me.

IMO the best game racing game out there by far - with the best compromise of realism and pick up and play fun.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

^^^ now you are justifying your throwing away 50 quid...

Admit you were suckered into buying it - and that it's the same as GT3 - just with Le Mans and the North Loop...
Old 03-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #24
mindgam3
Regular User

^^^ now you are justifying your throwing away 50 quid...

Admit you were suckered into buying it - and that it's the same as GT3 - just with Le Mans and the North Loop...
30 quid

In fact it was free as my gf got pre ordered it for me, even better
Old 03-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #25
Pimp Racer
Regular User

I like the sounds of the Honda's since you can hear it when the V-TEC kicks in at high revs escipially on the NSX's all stock BTW.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:24 AM   #26
oantob
Regular User

IMO, the great sound for racing is the motul civic...
try tunned the Subaru Coupe R Sti Ver. VI '99 (I don't know if its the same as other subs) and take it to the 400m run and hear the boxer engine idle it sounds like a monster
Old 03-19-2005, 05:58 PM   #27
callen
Regular User

Best sounding car for me so far is my M3 CSL, tuned to around 440 BHP, it is not fully tuned but quite close. BTW, since the wind noise can ruin the experience, when u get the car out on the straight, switch to rear view for a full gear or two, all you can hear is pure exhaust note! It sounds a million times better than any forward view, and I use it everytime I go from 2nd, all the way thru 3rd, then finally when i am approaching some serious speed and the corner is near, back into forward view so i can see where the hell i am going! It is also fun to watch ur car UNLOAD 2nd place on the straight!(or 4th 5th watever car may be behind u)
Old 03-20-2005, 03:40 AM   #28
dingo
Regular User

It has many flaws, but all are pretty much nit picking, we're expecting it to be exactly the same as reality but almost everyone (not just on JW) has missed the point that it's only a computer game.

Nothing wrong with the visuals IMO, car models are stunning, sounds could be better, not much wrong with the AI IMO (comparatively), physics is good IMO, apart from the apparently built in understeer on everything and tracks are accurate and detailed enough for me.

IMO the best game racing game out there by far - with the best compromise of realism and pick up and play fun.
that was well said and I agree completely, if people find it so unrealistic and feel ripped off then go out and drive a real car instead
Old 03-20-2005, 03:55 AM   #29
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo22

that was well said and I agree completely, if people find it so unrealistic and feel ripped off then go out and drive a real car instead
Some of us do... - but it's relaxing to drive in the living room..
Old 03-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #30
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
best sounding car i've heard is after modding my Alfa Romeo GTV V6 24v.....put a racing exhaust on, pushing 500hp.

the exhaust note is growling! the Audi Lemans Quattro has a fantastic exhaust sound as well, true supercar sound.
Ah I gotta try out that Alfa! I have only driven that Alfa convt in the Liscense tests and it sound pretty nice!

Originally Posted by callen
Best sounding car for me so far is my M3 CSL, tuned to around 440 BHP, it is not fully tuned but quite close. BTW, since the wind noise can ruin the experience, when u get the car out on the straight, switch to rear view for a full gear or two, all you can hear is pure exhaust note! It sounds a million times better than any forward view, and I use it everytime I go from 2nd, all the way thru 3rd, then finally when i am approaching some serious speed and the corner is near, back into forward view so i can see where the hell i am going! It is also fun to watch ur car UNLOAD 2nd place on the straight!(or 4th 5th watever car may be behind u)

Thanks for the tip I will try this since I want the full experience of the cars sounds!