Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-18-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
corvette97
Regular User

Default HID kit

what do you guys think about installing a HID kit on a car? do you think its a ricey mod?

im thinking 6000k but 8000k are the 1rst option...

if you have no idea how they look let me know and i'll show how they look...

Old 10-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #2
DanielW
Regular User

xenons are not rice. they imnprove visibility and make the car safer to drive at night. I would go with the 6000k kit. closer to the color of sunlight, and is brighter than the blue 8000k kits.
I'm thinking of getting a kit for my vette. it would be around $350 which isn't bad IMO.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wytrzyszc
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
Minacious
Regular User

Well I know quite a bit about proper HIDs. I can tell you one thing, once you move past 6000 Kelvins you are moving into the territory of caring about the look/color of the light more than the light output. 4300K-5000K will give you the greatest light output, but won't be as blue/purple as the higher Kelvin kits. Any HID kit will be better than Halogen though. An HID kit in a proper projector housing is the most optimal solution.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
corvette97
Regular User

i have a golf, and i want 8000k hid kit, but i can consider a 6000k kit, i like the blue light, but maybe if i get the 6000k kit i would regret that i could have bought the 8KK.

this is how it looks, the kit 6000k

the 6000k output

this pic is the one that made me think the 6KK as an option

the 8000k kit

this is a 10KK kit and it has a great output IMO

Old 10-18-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
corvette97
Regular User

is it true that if i install a hid kit i will loose my high beams?
Old 10-18-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Regular User

you still keep your high beams, there are several different kind of HID kits, i read somewhere before that it is easier to install if your car has a seperate high beam and low beam
Old 10-18-2004, 07:02 PM   #7
DeMoN
Regular User

i have done a lot of reaserch about this, and yeh they are cool but only up to 6000 philips. DO NOT get the 8000, they are basically 4000s painted blue. No matter what brand, no matter how expensive, 8000s are 4000s painted blue. They look better, but the visibility is worse. 6000 produce a little blued light, looks cool and is not a painted bulb. You should go for those, I know I will.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:08 PM   #8
T-Bird
Regular User

/\/\ didn't you get HID's on your Infiniti?
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:19 PM   #9
Minacious
Regular User

corvette97, if your choice is between 6000 Kelvins and 8000 Kelvins, get the 6. You will still have some of that blue color that is desired by many, but still have awesome light output. 4300K would be the best though.

The potential loss of highbeam would come when replacing a single bulb, dual filament halogen setup. HID setups (there are Bi-Xenon setups that incorporate high and low by using a moveable shield to direct the light - very, very expensive).
In your case (I am speaking of the Vette) you have 4 single filament bulbs (2 for the lows and 2 for the highs). The HID kit you would buy would replace the lows without effecting the highs. Now you could also put HIDs in the highs, but it wouldn't be a good decision. HIDs take a few seconds to burn to full brightness, they also can be damaged from flashing them because even though they draw less when running, they draw a ton more when first turned on. That initial hit is huge.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:01 PM   #10
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Xenon? Phsh....Everybody knows that LEDs are the future. I say wait for LED kit.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:35 PM   #11
5vz-fe
Regular User

Catz got pretty good deal on HID (performance/price).......but if you wanna go for quality, philips is the way to go I think....But no matter which one u pick at the end, it will cost u 500 at least.

I also heard from some ppl who got HID kit installed saying that becoz of the different light pattern generated by the bulbs, u might lose some illumination angle.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:52 PM   #12
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Xenon? Phsh....Everybody knows that LEDs are the future. I say wait for LED kit.
LEDs give off too soft of a light for headlight use. They are fine for brakelights because there is no relector to refract the light and dim it. I don't think they could ever make it to headlight use.

Xenon's harsh light illuminate things in the road much better becasue they cause a clear shadow to be cast by the object, LEDs do not. They cast a very soft shadow, which makes it difficult to see an objects size until it is too late. They also do not have the beam throw that Xenons have, which is advantageous in the country to illuminate stupid deer that may be wanting to meet your hood emblem.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:49 PM   #13
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Quote:

LEDs give off too soft of a light for headlight use. They are fine for brakelights because there is no relector to refract the light and dim it. I don't think they could ever make it to headlight use.
I know, but Audi, Mazda and other companies are experimenting with LED headlights...so don't bet against it. Besides, the xenon lights tend to blind oncoming
drivers, especially the ones equipped on SUVs.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:58 AM   #14
corvette97
Regular User

i have done a lot of reaserch about this, and yeh they are cool but only up to 6000 philips. DO NOT get the 8000, they are basically 4000s painted blue. No matter what brand, no matter how expensive, 8000s are 4000s painted blue. They look better, but the visibility is worse. 6000 produce a little blued light, looks cool and is not a painted bulb. You should go for those, I know I will.
yes, probably will get 6000k but i have to take the 8KK off my mind either way i'll regret it jejeje

@Minacious, yes you are right, i will not loose my high beam, since they are separate the high beam is in the lower part of the driving lights, and the low beam is a totally diferent place. i thought i would loose HB maybe due to the HID ballast or something about the power... and yes not hids in the hig beam, that would be dumb as u mentioned.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 AM   #15
adamk24
Regular User

I highly recommend the 6 series outputs. My freind had some 8's and they were just to bright when he would get behind me.
adamk24 is offline   Reply With Quote