Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
kksh
Regular User

Default Nürburgring time by new NSX-R

Anyone has any info on what times the NSX-R did at the Nürburgring. And how it compares to others such as 911 GT3, etc. Thanks
kksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:58 PM   #2
HoboPie
Regular User

7:56 by gan-san from topgear

Keep in mind though he isn't a ringmaster he really knows the nsx-r. A lot of the times we see are Sport Auto tests where they do one or two laps.

Still 7:56 compares well to other cars. I just doubt that with equal cars and equal drivers the NSX-R would as quick as the 360 CS at Nurburgring.

The timing method may not have been standard either.

edit: A GT3 is a couple seconds quicker, a 360 CS and 911 Turbo got the same time as the NSX-R.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:14 AM   #3
5vz-fe
Regular User

gan-san from Topgear?? U mean Best Motoring rite?

Just for the record, follwing are best motoring times
1989 R32 GTR: 8'22"38
1990 NSX: 8'16"15
1991 911Turbo: 8'08"73
1992 NSX-R: 8'03"86
2002 NSX-R: 7'56"73
2004 STi SpecC: 8'06"01
Old 10-08-2004, 02:25 AM   #4
Just_me
Regular User

Sportauto is using the same driver and tests cars as they come from factory.

NSX-R 8.09 min
GT3 7.54 min

Comparing is useless without the same driver.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:54 AM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

True, but one driver might like the setting of a car better than the other, so I guess fastest time count............track temp, air humidity ...etc all count in such a long lap. Thus, unless you use a computer to drive those car around the track at the same time, it is not useful to compare. All we do is just a matter of reference +/- 10 sec should be pretty normal.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:03 AM   #6
Toronto
Regular User

well i just have to say the NSX is one on the few jap cars i would buy, just because it was the car built for senna, cheap and fast, sti would be my 2nd choice,
not to mention the 350z (might be getting soon), but if a good used NSX comes my way i would jump on it.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:27 AM   #7
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
True, but one driver might like the setting of a car better than the other, so I guess fastest time count............track temp, air humidity ...etc all count in such a long lap. Thus, unless you use a computer to drive those car around the track at the same time, it is not useful to compare. All we do is just a matter of reference +/- 10 sec should be pretty normal.
true, but if the drivers wasnt important then Sportauto would use different driver everytime.
Comparing laptimes with Madonna from the stats and Gunther from germany is pointless, I rather see the samedriver.

but no denying, NSX is a good track-car, wold love to see a new generation.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:14 AM   #8
rob_e1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Just_me
but no denying, NSX is a good track-car, wold love to see a new generation.
Honda UK have decided to NOT import the NSX-R.. :roll:

The HSC concept was allegedly going to be the new NSX. Looked lovely, very high tech alu/carbon etc but it looks very likely that this will now NOT make production. :roll: :roll:

What on earth are Honda thinking.. they only have ONE car with any credibility, and that is already pretty old (10 years?) and does not have enough power to run with the modern day junior supercars. I'm not taking CGT/enzo here, i mean 997 Carrera S has 350 bhp, Noble has 400+ bhp etc. NSX only has 280 which your average impreza has these days..
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #9
KramRS2
Regular User

No.
Regarding track conditions I could agree, but concerning professional drivers not. A professional driver could explore the limits of a road car quickly and the margin with another driver should be no more than a sec.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:12 AM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by KramRS2
No.
Regarding track conditions I could agree, but concerning professional drivers not. A professional driver could explore the limits of a road car quickly and the margin with another driver should be no more than a sec.
Yes and no, some cars are easier to explore the limits than others. If a professional given unlimited time on both cars, I am sure what u are saying is correct. However, give a lap is 8 minutes, I doubt any magazine will do more than 10 laps (or even way less) on a single car. So given that situation, I think gan-san will drive the NSX-R over the ring faster than most ppl. Just like Walter Röhrls will drive a GT3 over the ring faster than any body. There's an old say "Pratice makes perfect"
Old 10-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #11
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by KramRS2
No.
Just like Walter Röhrls will drive a GT3 over the ring faster than any body. There's an old say "Pratice makes perfect"
Just so you know, the times from SportAuto is done with Horst von saurma, not walter.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:53 AM   #12
HoboPie
Regular User

gan-san from Topgear?? U mean Best Motoring rite?

Just for the record, follwing are best motoring times
1989 R32 GTR: 8'22"38
1990 NSX: 8'16"15
1991 911Turbo: 8'08"73
1992 NSX-R: 8'03"86
2002 NSX-R: 7'56"73
2004 STi SpecC: 8'06"01
Come on, I spelt it wrong big deal
Old 10-09-2004, 02:51 AM   #13
Guibo
Regular User

Gan San's lap can be seen in the video link of this discussion:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showt...ht=nurburgring

If you time it yourself (or use your media player's counter), over the course of a whole lap, Point A back to Point A, it's closer to an 8:03 lap. The thread above also indicates some special gearing was provided for that session.
Guibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:23 PM   #14
kksh
Regular User

But even if it's just above the 8 min mark, I think it's amazing for a 290 bhp car to go so fast. Compared with others that are lighter and/or more powerful, i'm still glad to see the old NSX holding its own.

If only they'd produce a high reving, 400bhp NSX.

Goddamnit...
An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars.
Advertising has us chasing cars, megapixel cellphones and clothes.
Working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.
We're the middle children of history, man...
No purpose or place.
We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.
We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars.
But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact.
And we're very, very pissed off
kksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:15 PM   #15
HoboPie
Regular User

Yep, but not exactly unique for Japanese cars. The new Spec C and even the Skyline GTR Nurburgring edition can get below 8:10.

I wonder if it is as underrated as the the other cars in terms of power?