Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
rob_e1
Regular User

Default TVR sold?

http://www.tvr-eng.co.uk/news_new_owner.htm

Originally Posted by tvr's website
We can confirm that a 100% shareholding in UK car-maker TVR has been purchased today. The new owner is Nikolai Smolenski.

Plans for the future are to continue trading, invest heavily in new technology and production methods, and hence enhance the TVR brand to become a global player.

There will be no large-scale restructuring and new managerial appointments will be made in due course. Peter Wheeler, previous owner, will remain on board as a senior consultant.
Another british company sold to overseas investors?

rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
Chingachgook
Regular User

Oh this isn't good...I hope TVR will last like this
Old 07-27-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
Daggernite
Regular User

oh dear.......
I wanna see TVR become more popular, but will it remain a true british car maker? :cry:
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Plans for the future are to continue trading, invest heavily in new technology and production methods, and hence enhance the TVR brand to become a global player.

That means compromised TVRs...for the gay people that want a poser mobile. FUCK THEM! :fist:
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
TT
Regular User

Dang dang! TVR risks to be messed up!! I really hope the new owner won't change anything and will follow the "old" guidelines!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #6
jon_s
Regular User

Shit. TVR was one of the last British cars I could proudly say we built with no other influences. What a shame.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:04 PM   #7
rob_e1
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Dang dang! TVR risks to be messed up!! I really hope the new owner won't change anything and will follow the "old" guidelines!
I think you've echo'd the thoughts of all car enthusiasts... lets just hope the model of Lotus (sold to proton etc) is employed here too - ie let them keep their flair and talent but backed up with some more cash for new models or improvements in quality.

Expect to see TVR's with airbags and traction control soon though.. its the only way they'll steal sales from the 911 faithfull IMO..

02p etc
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
TT
Regular User

Expect to see TVR's with airbags and traction control soon though.. its the only way they'll steal sales from the 911 faithfull IMO..
Sadly it was anyway impossible to go on forever, and as long as it will be possible to switch TV off, no problem
Old 07-27-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
Vansquish
Regular User

Well...even if it is owned by an overseas investor, that only means money for the moment...TVR can always use more cash for development I imagine, so it may not be a bad thing. So long as the new ownere doesn't sell to VW or some shit like that we might be seeing some really amazing new cars from TVR (not that they don't already make amazing cars hehe)

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:20 PM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish
Well...even if it is owned by an overseas investor, that only means money for the moment...TVR can always use more cash for development I imagine, so it may not be a bad thing. So long as the new ownere doesn't sell to VW or some shit like that we might be seeing some really amazing new cars from TVR (not that they don't already make amazing cars hehe)
I think he might. Most car companies are purchased by another car company and not just particular individual. I don't think someone purchased an entire car company just to like their cars, they want to gain more money....and the only way is to improve it a little, establish a better name for TVR, then sell it out again.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:23 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Nope - what you are seeing is the bottom, bottom line of any business venture.

Forget the car - TVR could have been producing Multi-Inline-Linear_Fluctuators... the overall aim is the same.

Be as profitable as possible, and have the potential for greatness so that some other jackass can come buy the whole shebang, lock, stock and barrel - that way the founders can cash in and the daily head aches become someone elses as the founders/previous owners (Mr WHeeler and Co.) go on to other ambitions. (send a PM to Mr Bobafett for practicle example )

The other thing is that perhaps from the inside, Mr.Wheeler and Co. were able to see the reality that a prosperous and profitable TVR would not be always possible going forward and better to get out now while the sale value is high... and before the bottom fell out again...

Or... they (Mr. Wheeler and Co.) were just tired of doing what they were doing and wanted a vacation..

p.s. Nikolai Smolenski may have even used Russian mob money..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:28 PM   #12
yg60m
Regular User

I read that it could be sold some weeks ago in Autocar but nothing was done. Now i really hope they won't lose their mind.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:36 PM   #13
5vz-fe
Regular User

Thanx for ur insight RC =)
Old 07-27-2004, 01:47 PM   #14
bobafett
Regular User

NS is just a front-man. This is old news. Wheeler is a chump.

--Dan
Old 07-27-2004, 01:49 PM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Thanx for ur insight RC =)
It's exactly what you were thinking...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote