Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > Car Gallery

Old 07-07-2004, 11:40 PM   #1
altezza
Regular User

Default Honda FR-V

IF HONDA MADE A COMPACT MPV, WOULD IT BE THE SAME AS ALL THE OTHERS?

FR-V IN A NUTSHELL

* A stylish new-wave compact MPV
* Six seats arranged in two rows of three – better for boot space, better for passengers to talk to each other
* Rear seats fold individually and flat, into the floor, and you can fold them one-handed – with no need to remove
* Cabin is neatly styled, very well built and generously equipped
* Handles superbly and rides comfortably
* Power from gutsy yet frugal 1.7 litre and 2.0 litre petrol engines at launch, with a 2.2 litre i-CTDi turbodiesel to follow in 2005
* Launched November 2004

Of course, Honda could have followed convention with the new FR-V, its entry into the compact MPV market. It could have wrapped the car’s outstandingly flexible, practical and intelligent interior in a boxy, slightly utilitarian body. But who says that style has to go out the window simply because you have lots of people to carry? So while the FR-V can perform workhorse-like duties, its styling doesn’t pigeonhole you as a practical person.

Then there’s the FR-V’s seating – five or seven? Actually Honda had a better idea; six seats, arranged in two rows of three. When you think about it, six seats are plenty for most small families. And with all the seats in two rows, it’s easy for everyone in the car to talk to each other, making it a more friendly way to travel.

The three-plus-three arrangement also means you can have a large boot – not always the case with CMPVs. And when you need more space for luggage the FR-V comes into its own – not only do the three rear seats fold individually, they fold flat into the floor. So you get maximum space without having to remove and then store heavy, bulky seats. What’s more, you can fold the seats one-handed, simply by reaching in from the boot and unfastening a single latch.

To add to the numerous seating/boot space combinations, you can fold the central front seat’s back down onto its cushion to make room for extra-long items or to form a table. The seat cushion also has a fold-out extension complete with storage drawer underneath it, expanding its usefulness.

Another thing that sets the FR-V apart is the quality and style of its cabin. Forget compact MPV, think more along the lines of executive saloon; just because you need practicality doesn’t mean you have to forego life’s niceties.

As well as being handsomely equipped, the FR-V is also crammed with safety features. All six seats have three-point seat belt fixings, while the centre front seat and the two outer rear seats have ISOFIX child seat mounts. Additionally, the front seats have pre-tensioners and load limiters. As an extra aid to child safety, the central front seat moves 270mm further back than the outer pair; when travelling with a child in the front, Honda recommends that the seat is moved to its rearmost position. Full-length curtain airbags provide overall cabin protection while in the front of the FR-V there are twin dual-stage airbags in the facia and side airbags in the two outside front seats.

The FR-V simply wouldn’t be a Honda if it weren’t also fun to drive. Its wide track promotes stability, agility and good steering response. The track geometry reduces the FR-V’s roll centre, enabling the car to be fitted with softer springs than would be the case if the springs were also being used to limit body roll, thus ensuring that it’s comfortable as well as entertaining.

Contributing to the FR-V’s driving pleasure is its range of engines. At launch there will be a choice of two petrol engines: a 125 PS (92 kW) 1.7 litre SOHC VTEC unit (mated to a 5-speed manual transmission ) and a 150 PS (110 kW) 2.0 litre DOHC i-VTEC unit (mated to a 6-speed manual transmission). In 2005, they will be joined by Honda’s acclaimed 2.2 litre i-CTDi diesel engine mated to a 6-speed manual transmission.

With sales planned to start this November, the FR-V takes the concept of the compact MPV onto another level of sophistication and desirability.

Honda’s FR-V is not only based on the CR-V platform, but the name stands for "Flexible Recreational Vehicle" aligning with Honda’s extremely successful CR-V (Compact Recreational vehicle) 4x4.

altezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:06 AM   #2
SilviaEvo
Regular User

UGH THE REAR IS HIDEOUS!
Old 07-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
that's the rear of an X3!
and the side reminds me of the new 1-series or something. seems Honda's been peeking over the German border for design cues, which is a shame cuz they took the wrong ones
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
SilviaS15Cwest
Regular User

Interesting they decided to go with a 6 speed manual for some of the models.

My toy - 1991 BMW 525i - Factory installed option limited slip, upgraded BMW rims, leather everything, Falken Ziex tires. - 189 hp, 181 tq
R/T .098
60' 2.618
330 7.311
1/8 [email protected]
1000 14.444
1/4 [email protected] ([email protected] altitude corrected.)
NEEDS TO BE FASTER! Changing a couple things and hoping for low 16's next time.
Pics at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/529151/1
SilviaS15Cwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
fabro_s
Regular User

Damn its a combination of X3, PT cruiser and a normal car, I didnte like it even a little bit!!

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:09 PM   #6
oantob
Regular User

hum... i don't like it? I prefer the old CR-V compare to this? why did Honda make such a mess by making an uglier version?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:18 AM   #7
cho_888
Regular User

the idea is there for sure, and it seems to be following the modern honda trend
Old 07-09-2004, 03:39 AM   #8
oldsnail
Regular User

its called the edix in japan, frv for europe

Old 07-09-2004, 07:27 AM   #9
Evo
Regular User

Originally Posted by fabro_s
Damn its a combination of X3, PT cruiser and a normal car, I didnte like it even a little bit!!
and a 2004 Civic type R fromt the side.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:32 PM   #10
oldsnail
Regular User

FR-V = fxxk ' ing retarted vehicle lol..
Old 07-09-2004, 08:49 PM   #11
oantob
Regular User

even that Mugen type FR-V doesn't help me to change my mind... but nice find dude
Old 07-10-2004, 01:14 AM   #12
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Hmmm...a Honda without the usual Honda cues.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:02 AM   #13
jpatino03
Regular User

I don't mind it actually, and I think the mugen one looks kinda cool.

Originally Posted by SilviaS15Cwest
Interesting they decided to go with a 6 speed manual for some of the models.
That's the Honda way. Minivans (especially really small, lightweight ones like this) with manuals are actually a lot of fun to drive. I used to have '93 Mitsubishi Expo 5spd and it was fucking quick! It got a reputation around my highschool as a bit of a sleeper after I smoked a bunch of people with it.

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 07:23 AM   #14
oldsnail
Regular User

Old 07-12-2004, 11:45 PM   #15
rachaderua

humm the design looks good and at the same time very look liked with the new Civic VTi...this one must be very economic and good for the day-by-day routine.

"My paradise is not a warm beach, but an empty racetrack."
rachaderua is offline   Reply With Quote