Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-05-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
rino
Regular User

Default New Mercedes-Benz CLS 55 AMG

This unique four-door coupé is driven by the powerful and refined AMG V8 supercharged engine, which generates an output of 350 kW/476 hp and 700 Newton metres of torque from a displacement of 5.5 litres. This gives the car truly top-notch performance: the CLS 55 AMG accelerates from nought to 100 km/h in just 4.7 seconds and has an electronically limited maximum speed of 250 km/h. The CLS 55 AMG boasts AMG sports suspension, a high-performance AMG braking system plus AMG bodystyling and will be making its market debut in January 2005.

As with the other AMG high-performance cars, the engine power is transferred to the wheels via the AMG SPEEDSHIFT five-speed automatic transmission. This allows the driver to choose between fully automatic or manual gear changes, the latter being possible by using either the selector lever or the gearshift buttons on the ergonomic AMG sports steering wheel. The powerplant is superbly complemented by the AMG sports suspension and by the AMG high-performance braking system. The CLS 55 AMG features AIRMATIC DC semi-active air suspension with an adaptive damping system; this suspension set-up has been specially modified for AMG by giving it tauter tuning. Large, internally ventilated and perforated brake discs make for impressive deceleration and high fading resistance
source www.fastdrive.org
directlink http://www.fastdrive.org/news.php?extend.115
rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

Some high-res if somebody wants them, click for bigger

Old 07-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
PATo355
Regular User

Hmmmm ... i dont see the point of that car ... is between the E and S class right ?

But i think its truly gorgeous , look at the second pic , the windows shape ... so high , like a 4 door coupe , its very very nice

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
5.7 V10
Regular User

Thx! I personally love this car, looks great to me!

5.7 V10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
yg60m
Regular User

Yes, i like it too and was waiting for this engine
Old 07-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #6
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I think it looks like shit..or worse. The styling direction Mercedes has taken is not to my liking. :fist:
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #7
TopGearNL
Regular User

I like it very much, it is between a E-Class and a S-Class mercedes, it doesn't have that cheap Honda look from the E-Class or that bit of ugly from the S-Class, no its perfect I think
TopGearNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Its absolutely stunning, eat your hart out BMW

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
jorge
Regular User

I got the impression that the car is gonna look much better in the flesh.
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #10
SFDMALEX
Regular User

To me it looks like Bangles work. I like it, but its more BMW then Mercedes.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:29 PM   #11
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Check out the interior(not AMG version)

Its got this retro look with all the wood

To give you the difference with BMW

Blaire is a figleaf

damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
Old 07-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #12
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
To me it looks like Bangles work. I like it, but its more BMW then Mercedes.
I was thinking exactly the same thing! They must have hired bangles twin brother!
No way, it doesn't have the same style, this looks good, while the other is ugly.

Blaire is a figleaf

Old 07-05-2004, 02:27 PM   #13
rachaderua

it´s a very big fuck for some german car manufacturers , because they do many cars with 400 phs or more and put in them a speed limiter.....

but indeed this one is amazing..i guess it would go up to 320 km/h on a very good and plane straight...and the 1/4 mile under 12.0 seconds because the traction control and stability management, as many other controls available, steal a little of time in the dragstrip...if there was no assist controls and a very good driver, the time could be downcreased.

"My paradise is not a warm beach, but an empty racetrack."
rachaderua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #14
Sir_GT
Regular User

I actually like Bangle's design philosophy, and being a fan of that, I'm very very pleased with the design direction Mercedes took with this car. It looks fantastic.

Honestly, I'm tired of hearing people say: "it doesn't look like a <insert manufacturer's brand here> automobile." Fuck that. It's about time the designers finally started really pushing the design curve. If architects and engineers are doing it with homes, buildings, and infrastructure, which incidentally, is starting to represent the theme of modern design, why prevent the car manufacturers from following suit?

Mercedes did well design-wise with this car, and I hope it sells bloody well. BMW took the risk, and all the German marques are following in their footsteps. I hope the designs look become more radical as time goes by, because it will encourage the other companies to become more imaginative and innovative. Those two things will keep the car industry interesting, and will inject some new life into it.

I mean come on, aren't you guys tired of seing "four doors, big engine, automatic transmission with rear-wheel drive and limited slip diff, spacious interior" over and over again? The car industry has been doing that since the end of WWII, it's about time we really started pushing the envelope. The "radical" designs you guys are seeing today are the baby steps of that movement, so instead of acting like sterile old men with pipes, try to be a little bit more open minded.

*end of rant*
Old 07-08-2004, 01:09 PM   #15
v0od0o
Regular User

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR
Check out the interior(not AMG version)
To give you the difference with BMW
It's a little bit unfair to compare a media pic to a non-professional pic taken in less than ideal lighting conditions and stuff, you can compare yours to this

And please I know you're mad about MB and I like BMW more so it's useless to start an argument about who is better than who, it's a matter of personal taste and let's leave it at that