Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 04-23-2004, 02:23 PM   #16
gucom
Regular User

the horror... they've gone mad
its gonna be like formula renault...all the same cars... LMP cars are gonna lap F1 cars on any circuit...(ok now im overreacting)
I also read they wanna standardise brake systems and wanna forbid T-cars(for those capable of reading dutch: www.formule1.nl)
as i said they've gone mad. Lets pray the F1 teams(especially the fast teams) will destroy the plans. 4th of may hteres a meeting, now let em give me a beautiful b-day present and terminate these stupid ideas...
Old 04-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #17
noosee
Regular User

I don't think it's gona happen.
Manual gearbox - there will be no manual on normal cars in 10 years or so what he is thinking.
One tire manufacturer - who ?
The only thing is - 2.4 they can do that
noosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:06 PM   #18
fakepower
Regular User

humm i dont mind so much the other rules as F1 really needs to be slowed down to move the cars closer together to get better competition. but tire manufactor rule is terrible, i love to see the different between the two companies. sometimes the tires are big factors in winning or losing the race, so hell id like to see a 3rd or 4th tire company come into the picture.
fakepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:19 PM   #19
akumapc
Regular User

R-E-T-A-R-D-E-D!!!!!! Damn, one of the biggest reasons I watch F1 is because of the technological innovation in the cars. Take away all the progress we've made in the electronics, gearboxes, engines, traction controls, and you'll see NASCAR have more technology than F1.... It's basically a step backwards to 30 years ago when these technologies didn't exist, and perhaps when F1 was in it's prime. Those days are gone and to try and bring back that dinosaur is not going to make F1 better, in fact I won't watch those POS cars race, I might as well watch IRL or F3000...

I can understand the concern to reduce costs in F1 but there are better ways of doing that then to take out all the technology that has made the sport the pinnacle of motor racing. The best way is to simply impose a fucking spending cap on the teams! How about teams are limited to 100million a year investment in their team with any overexpense resulting in a weight increase in the car relative to the amount of additional funds spent over the limit. So if a team like Ferrari spend 1 million more to develop their car, they get 10 extra lbs of weight added for example for each mil ove the budget. Keep the technology there just put a limit on the ballistic teams spending 500 million a year on their car, while other teams spend half that. Look at minardi, they are 4 seconds behind mainly because they only have a 50mil budget. That's how to slow speeds while keeping the technology...

I think the reduction in engine capacity and and cylinders also suck ass... the whole thing that seperates F1 is that no other motorsport can match it's exoctic technology. Nascar use V8's and are floating around 800HP now so a drop to 2.4 cylinders in an F1 car would put us around 720HP!!!! SO A NASTYCAR WOULD HAVE MORE POWER THAN A 2.4LITER F1... that just isn't right... Cart would be faster, and F1 would be just above where the IRL cars can perform.

So then we have the problem of competetion. Well by keeping the budget set at no more than 100mil you will see the field close up REAL fast you can bet on that, but the semi sequential gearbox is the way to go not clutch and shift like they decades ago. The BMW SMG gearbox you see in the M3 is a result of F1's efforts in pushing the technology effort. What fucking improvement do you expect by having a sport mostly devoid of technology? Sometimes people need to be punched in the face, and Max Mosely has one coming. If these rules do go into effect by 2008 by then the contract teams have with F1 expire expect Ferrari, BMW, Mclaren, etc to start their new series of racing.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:56 PM   #20
beemrmem3
Regular User

I think they should go to very small displacement turbo engines. Say 1.3l turbo. Now that would be fun. It would change it up a little. They might get to much power out of it though. Whatever they do, they better not get rid of paddle shift SMG transmissions.. If they want to make it a little more difficult have them go to the CART style lever/stick SMG. Whatever they do, they need to be faster then CART.

I think most of these rule props. are just exagerations of what the real rules will be in 2008. I as well think they changes should come sooner. Say 2006,
beemrmem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:40 AM   #21
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

If this Idiot Mosely actually passes these rules, I won't be watching F1 anymore. F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport. If these new rules are passed, F1 will be at the level of NASCAR, which is prehistoric as it is.

On top of that, the proposed rules won't have ANY effect on the "competiveness" of the sport... the rich will always be rich.... with a 3l V10 engine, or with a 2.4 V8. As for the manual gearboxes, no TC, etc.... it would spice things up a bit, but in the end, richer companies will also be at an advantage, as they have the money for better drivers.

This guy is going to fuck up everything!!!! :x :x
Old 04-24-2004, 10:11 AM   #22
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by campank

[Truncated]

Next thing ya know Max and Bernie will be saying they want to start racing on Ovals.

Man, that is funny. . .

I agreed w/ what most people said. . . well, it looks like I'll be watching something else come around 2008.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:29 PM   #23
bobafett
Regular User

I can't understand Bernie here. Max and he are both very smart guys, and like it or not, they are responsible for maknig F1 the brilliant sport it is today.

It seems to me that these proposed changes (and yes, the half-way technique is a favorite) make any light and there's no introduction of the GPWC, it's really just a short-term move. Maybe Bernie knows he's dying soon?

--Dan