PDA

View Full Version : WRC or F1

levensnevel
02-13-2004, 08:49 AM
With the 2004 WRC season already on its way and the 2004 F1 season kick off in a few weeks time I would like to know which of these 2 competions is your favorite.
And obviously why.

TT
02-13-2004, 08:52 AM
WRC for me... not sure why, because usually the idea of all the cars together on the same track is more appealing to me... but WRC is special, I always considered WRC drivers 100 times more carismatic and cool than F1 drivers, and BTW this season the battle will be fierce for sure :D

possessed_beaver
02-13-2004, 09:22 AM
F1, my kinda lifestyle
drugs, drinking partying.. and driving!!!

but i only get 2 see WRC in person.

jeroen40
02-13-2004, 09:27 AM
F1 for me too, but just because the technical side, it's just amazing on what standard the cars are at the moment, very fascinating, but wrc kicks ass to, I just love most of the racing classes... but one has to be best

geekdiggy
02-13-2004, 09:44 AM
WRC all the way. i have a deep love for F-1 but i mean, nothing is EVER as cool/exciting as guys going sideways as fuck on every race surface known to man, instead of just tarmac and wet tarmac. also, wrc cars are based on regular road cars so it has a tie to the everyday driver, thus people can relate. and i honestly can't see why anybody would choose any other form of motorsport over wrc 8)

hwe
02-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Tough one...
They are two completely different kind of motorsports, and I need both, so difficult to choose..
If I had to pick one it would be Formula 1 because of more extensive and live TV-coverage.

davmac
02-13-2004, 10:54 AM
wrc because it's driven on real roads with real cars

alondahan
02-13-2004, 11:00 AM
easy - F1 :wink: . I like WRC too, but I like F1 much more.

wahhaj
02-13-2004, 01:28 PM

blah.. works wrc cars are anything but road cars, and almost as exclusive as F1 cars, actually they would be except for the fact its possible to buy one and run it as a privateer in the same series, but if you want to say they are real sure they are, as real as a f1 car.

so they used a road car bodyshell as a base but thats it, and even that is modified massively compared to anything you'll find in a showroom, and the all the rest of the parts are custom made and the cost is massive.. the only similarity between a road and wrc car of the same model is they outwardly look fairly alike.

hehe saying all that I still love wrc and watch it every chance I can :)

ae86_16v
02-13-2004, 11:32 PM
F1 for me too, but just because the technical side, it's just amazing on what standard the cars are at the moment, very fascinating, but wrc kicks ass to, I just love most of the racing classes... but one has to be best

Yeah, F1 definitely, just because it is the pinnacle of motorsports in terms of technology. Everything from suspension to traction control to aerodynamics to engine developement.

That's also the reason I prefer WRC. Anyway, they are completely different: you can compare F1 with the CART or Indy, but not with WRC. Technologically... F1 is the top, that's a fact, but a WRC, with a 2 liter Turbo engine with "at least 300hp" (I'm sure they have more than this), 4WD, three electronic differentials... They are also perfect!

True, but both are considered "World Sports" where as CART and Indy are not.

Come on, F1 has 3.0L V10s running at over 18000rpms pushing out over 800hps. . . that can't be wrong :) .

spd
02-14-2004, 12:32 PM
For technical and sophistication point of view - Definitely F1, but for real racing and competitiveness - WRC.

sads
02-16-2004, 11:21 PM
very tough choice f1 is the best of the best an f1 cars sound and go amazingly to watch but wrc is excellent to watch cars going crazy speeds thrrough d forest who dosnt like dat but id choose f1

levensnevel
02-17-2004, 01:54 AM
I myself find it difficult to make a choice :roll:
But in the end it is the WRC competition :idea:
Contempory F1 is far to sterile for me. I prefer the drama of a three days' event on the open road.

ae86_16v
02-17-2004, 06:22 PM
WRC hands down, it`s a race that goes on for 3 days and to be the best you have to perform for 3 days in a row, and on every surface, and it can go from ice to dry roads on the same stage.
In formula one its a couple of hours one day its either dry or wet,and the conditions are the same for the whole course.

I love F1 racing dont get me wrong but the reason is the tech part, the drivers are not very "people friendly" either IMO.

I beg to differ, Friday's Practice and Saturday's Qualifying are all very much part of hte race.

Bustov
02-22-2004, 11:41 PM
For me WRC is hands down my favorite motor sport. SCCA Pro Rally is nice to watch also. F1 has become to predictable, almost sterile. Although watching Schuy approach Fangio's record has been interesting.

My biggest fear is that the new rule changes in WRC are going to screw things up. For Colin Mcrae not to have a starting drive is just ridiculous. I know he crashs a lot and he probably wants more money than any other driver, but for me he is the most exciting to watch. Can he hold it together to win the rally. Solberg has this same potential to out drive every one else as long as he doesn't loose concentration and beat himself.

pranesh76
02-24-2004, 12:48 AM
WRC for sure. The driver and co-pilot have to be precise at crazy speeds over so many different terrains. Its crazy to think that a 1 sec mis-time might throw you over a 100 ft drop on both sides.. :shock:

abarth
02-24-2004, 11:15 AM
WRC all the way. I think that F1 is too boring

vanquish
02-24-2004, 11:35 AM
F1 cos there are battles, but if u look driving then WRC. F1 high tech appelas to me, in WRC slides makes it hot. Its much easier to watch f1 in tv than wrc. There arent live coverage of wrc in many countries as of F1.

komotar
03-05-2004, 08:51 PM
I like them both.
But I think I'll go for the F1.
It has lost a bit of it's flair and appeal but nontheless,
last year was preety exciting and I can't wait for this season to start.
Maybe I'll go to see some of the races. The ones closest to me(Imola,Monza,Hungary).

davmac
03-05-2004, 09:01 PM
everyone talks about the technology in f1 cars, but the technology in wrc cars is also quite advanced

paulesko
03-10-2004, 06:43 PM
I prefer wrc because drivers needs a point of improvisation on the road I mean they have to be aware of anything.

Excuse my english (It´s been ages since the last time I used it)

Saludos.

ported_head
03-13-2004, 01:25 PM
A little late to post, but i thought makes more sense after the first round of F1. But hell no.. F1 is more boring then ever, i actually fell asleep watching the race. Not a doubt in my mind why i always preferred WRC in the first place

kompak
03-23-2004, 04:00 AM
both F1 and WRC....but in my country it is hard to watch WRC coverage since the cable provider didn't include it in their list of channel...compared to F1....so the only way to update myself of WRC rally status......i have to surf the net.....but i guess it paid because in the internet there are more data than tv coverage.....

geekdiggy
03-23-2004, 04:29 AM
i've participated in this discussion in just about every auto-related forum i've ever been to and the arguments always go nowhere

so i'll repeat what i said in another forum: wrc vs f1 is an old tired topic that should be laid to rest. the simple fact is that niether of these two will ever be eclipsed by the other, neither will every consisively be considered better than the other by the majority. i can liken it to both gentle sex and rough aggressive sex, it's all just a matter of preference

crsbarnard
03-25-2004, 02:09 AM
I love watching the tarmac rallies like SanRemo, France, and of course MonteCarlo.
Something about watching cars being driven flat out down winding mountain. F1 is becoming to sanitized. I admire the danger factor rally drivers contend with. There is no room for error driving done a narrow road on the side of a moutain. The changing conditions of the MonteCarlo rally with snow and ice always make for an exciting event. I like the PWRC as well. I find the production class cars a little bit easier to relate to in terms of both driving and performance.

mit5005
03-26-2004, 12:03 PM
I think i would have to say F1 because its much more exciting. I would like wrc more if there were more cars racing near each other. Its more competative which makes it more entertaining. Its cool to see those rally cars drift and drive on dirt roads, but its better to watch f1 cars goin 200 mph right next to each other.

geekdiggy
03-26-2004, 08:13 PM
I would like wrc more if there were more cars racing near each other.

if they did they'd crash, DUMBASS, that's why rallying is the way it is. anybody who doesn't enjoy watching the entirety of a rally has a severe case of A.D.D.

mit5005
03-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Umm i dont think i asked for ur opinion geek. And how do u know that they would crash, do u race wrc or something? If it was too dangerous they could widen the roads and make it safe. And who said that I dont enjoy watching a full rally race? I think some jackass is just puttin words in my mouth just to be annoying.

crsbarnard
04-02-2004, 07:14 PM
I think WRC is more exciting due to the fact that in rallying car control is the most important, judgement second, and lines/apexes third. There is always the possibility of the unexpected happening for a rally driver therefore there ability to control the car and adapt to the changing situation is amazing. A racing circuit is exciting but the layout is fixed and does not change placing more of an emphasis on lines and apexes to go fast where in rallying more of an emphasis is placed on all out vehical control to go fast.

biff19_a
04-03-2004, 04:07 PM
WRC... real cars.. actual competition instead of a whitewash.. or should i say read wash...the actual driver means something... the cars are pretty equal.. except for the mitsu... that one is just off... weird looking car...but then again thats what is so cool about the WRC you can tell the difference as a novice enthusiast...
F1 has gone to a realm that only the billionaires can play in and this is sad because it creates a vacuum in other series.... IE sportscars... merc.. bmw.. toyota... all left for F1...becuase they cant afford both... its sad... last years Le Mans was pretty much handed to Bently becuase there was no major opposition.. the same can be said for Audi this year as well

redbaron
04-06-2004, 03:47 PM
WRC!! I am a huge F1 fan, but I like WRC even more. It's just nice to see the WRC-guys driving really fast at roads where normal people don't dare to drive faster than a bicycle. It's much better than seeing Ross Brawn eating a banana :D

SpeedBoy
04-10-2004, 04:12 PM
F1 for me. The only racing that could ecqual F1 would be Lemans or GT racing. But i dont like WRC, its not my cup of tea.

chest3r
04-13-2004, 06:04 PM
F1 actually sucks hard.

WRC is much more spectacular

bmagni
04-14-2004, 06:29 PM
f1 totally !!!
i do like the wrc also
but i prefer wrc
i used to like the gt championships
but now im an f1 100 %
today ive got mailed some stuff form ferrari, all about f1 !

bmagni
04-14-2004, 06:30 PM
i mean i prefer f1 !!!!

Vansquish
04-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Yes....
WRC is more interesting more of the time, but when there's a good battle in an F1 race it's definetely something to see. The problem with both is that the money involved controls too much of the sport. F1 is basically under Ecclestone's thumb, so it tends to be a bit less exciting and more of a money-grubbing excercise...unfortunately the governing body for WRC has lately been making strides in the same direction and that's part of why we've lost some of the best drivers this season. I hope things turn around.

SPAD
05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
I like F1 way more than wrc,but dont get me wrong i like wrc to but i dont feel 1/4
as much pasion that i do with f1.I think its because i like ferrari so much.

sameerrao
05-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Personally, I vote for F1. It captured my interest in the early nineties and has not let go since. I love WRC but am passionate about F1 - that's the difference.

To put it crudely, F1 is like a comfortable yet faded t-shirt that you still wear when no-one is around - it is something that you are reluctant to throw out ever - I really don't pay too much attention if F1 is boring right now or exciting right now - I will weather through the ups and downs of it. Of course an exciting season like 2003 is a lovely bonus :wink: ....

F1 passes the acid test for me - Will you get up at 3am to watch live qualifying or 4 am for the race. Only F1 deserves this treatment to me. I will tape WRC and watch later in the morning but I will watch F1 live - whatever be the time....

I watch a lot of motorsports - F1, WRC, Speed GT/touring car, Moto GP, Superbike, etc - therefore I get to see a good blend of overtaking, driving ability, tarmacs, technical data, etc in a week from all these sources. I am not insistent that I want just one motorsport to deliver everything I could wish for - I get different pleasure from different sources.

Having said all this, WRC enthrals me with the sheer driving skill on display - slides and recoveries and all that. My heart poounds when someone like Gronholm goes out with 110% commitment. I love the gravel and snow events. I also love the virtual spectator visual they show on TV - it overlays two or more drivers across the same stage section - its so easy to see where a driver has gained the advantage. This is something they need to adopt to F1 also - it can show us corner by corner where Schumacher gained on Montoya or vice-versa....

Most of the anti-F1 arguments quoted so far in this forum are:
1. Not much overtaking or racing in F1
2. Predictability of results
3. Lack of tarmac choices
4. Non-charismatic drivers.

- Not much overtaking or racing in F1
Obviously the comparison is with other forms of road racing because WRC runs one competitor at time. This is true but is a function of restrictive circuits (Hungary, Nurburgring, Monaco) and also different budgets of the teams. Now the circuits can't be helped but if Mclaren, Renault and Williams up their game, we wil have a cracker of a season.

- Predictability of results - Similar to above plus what do expect if you mate the best driver in the world to the best car? Other competitors need their cars to be better than Schumi's for them to win (a la' Hakkinen)

- lack of tarmac - also true but so what - different horses for different courses - live and let live

- non-charismatic drivers - TT's quote highlights the point
I always considered WRC drivers 100 times more carismatic and cool than F1 drivers

I do not think that this was always true - F1 drivers used to speak their mind in the past and till the eighties there was a good deal of action happening on and off the racing circuit. Today things have become more subdued. There is a good reason for this - F1 drivers are under incredible scrutiny and pressure from the media, fans, etc... The media loves to get some major mileage from ill-judged quotes from F1 drivers -
therefore drivers have learnt to keep their opinions to themselves (with a few exceptions - Montoya, Villenueve). The horde of crowds that throng the F1 paddocks today to catch a glimpse or get an autograph can scare a brave Hercules also - it is unfair to expect the same schumacher to meet and greet every fan who comes to the race. For each WRC race, the fans have the ability to go to multiple towns to see the drivers over the different stages- the crowds are much more manageable and you can get better visibility and access to drivers. COmpare this to F1 circuits with 70000 fans waiting to mob you..

sau_mathur
05-11-2004, 12:02 PM
I have watched more F1 than WRC, thus F1 for me. But thats not the only reason.
F1 is more fast, more technically advanced....its things in f1 taht later get incorporated into road cars (sequential shift for eg.)
Both are dangerous sports, but the risk in f1 is far more than wrc, the glamour associated with f1 is tremendous, and well there is this genius by the name of Michael Schumacher that just oohhh...hes soo good at this sport.!!!!!

WRC is great though..i love watching it...the way those guys drive is insane, and the adrenaline rush is unreal..!! But, my pick has to be f1.

abbor
05-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Of course I like WRC the most.... Just look at Schumacher driving alone in front, over and over again. F1 is so fucking boring... And I like following Solberg since he's from Norway

homemade wrx
06-08-2004, 09:58 PM
I love them both but WRC has to be number one...both have such highly technical vehicles but WRC beats out F1 in my opinion...

philios55
06-23-2004, 01:26 PM
WRC for me!!
is more competive,imo more difficult and by far more exciting than f1!
for example:check the results in every WRC event,every time we have different winner and different first 3!!its so hard you can never quess who is gonna be first or second etc.In F1 races 90% of wins are for ferrari and Michael Schumacher,boring!

szumszer
06-23-2004, 06:00 PM
WRC, more like real driving, i mean they actually compete on streets (some races at least), besides F1 is so technologically advanced ... there is no point of reference, maybe if you take a mclaren f1 to a track, may be that is in some way comparable, well, not really ... while you can actually buy and drive a subaru STI with 300 bhp, not the same as WRC, but still so much closer than an F1 car to anything else; besides WRC requires drivers to compete under different road conditions meter by meter, while track don't change, schumi could probably drive many of them blindfolded

TopGearNL
06-25-2004, 05:46 PM
I like both, can't choos actually but if you like both and find F1 as well as WRC appealing to you, download the serious canyon racing vid in the video section and it sort of combines the 2 togehter, they race track cars (F3000) in a canyon and very very fast :D

Jeremy Clarkson - Saab 9-5 -:''So if you buy a Saab you can break the sound barrier and manoevre up your own tailpipe! REALLY?

chipanggo
06-28-2004, 02:40 AM
f1 for me. it's got the whole package: the technical advancements, the human drama, the glitz, the glamour, and the girls.

oh and the races are nice too. :)

kimbolas
07-02-2004, 11:54 AM
F1 has been developing to a higher level, wich WRC can't be compared. But i believe that WRC its better, because i can buy an Impreza or an EVO and spend less than 50.000 Euros changing him to compete in rally championship. I dont know the value for an F1........ 8)

kompak
07-06-2004, 07:33 AM
i love both of it.....Formula 1 & World Rally Championship......

fabro_s
07-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Well, F1 and WRC are different things, but I think F1 sometimes gets boring, since its the same thing, race circuit, too many laps, voth ferrari cars on front, or a williams on 2nd, but then the wrc gets different environments, some crash, others are stuck in mud or in ice etc etc, so I think WRC its more interesting...

Ford Capri 2.8i
07-09-2004, 01:08 PM
I do prefer the rallying rather than Formula 1, just because their concepts are very different, and i prefer to watch overstering a car rather than straigh and fast, on the other hand, nowadays since the races are won due to the good fuel and tyres change strategy, rather than a good overtaking, in this moment i prefer the rallying much more than the Formula 1, although the rallying concept has changed with the time(the cars slides less than before, the stages are shorter and more weird.....)