Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 01-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default Took the S6 to the Track Yesterday

So I took the S6 to Thunderhill yesterday (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46191). Was going to bring the RSA, but I recently put in new exhaust manifolds and haven't finished plumbing the heater lines so it is without heat at the moment and I wimped out because it was so cold. Plus, I thought it would be fun to pass and run people down with a wagon...while I had my roofrack on it.

The S6 handles very well. It doesn't handle like the 4,000 brick that it is. The 17" tires are probably a shade small for the car...when you really push it like I did. For track, the brakes are hopeless. I did several half sessions (about 10 minutes instead of the full 20 minutes) because I could start smelling the brakes...and brake fade was probably just a few turns away...so I would bring it in...with the brakes smoking and my car getting stares from people. I drove it up and down the paddock to try to cool them down before parking.

Despite putting the tire pressure to about 38 hot (like the Porsche), the car rolled heavily onto the sidewalls:

Looks like it rolled about 1/2 onto "Michelin," which means I was way low on pressure.

Great car though. Dealing with the auto transmission was a pain...even in tiptronic mode. It was nice it held the gear, but you really have to anticipate your shifts because the transmission is so slow in shifting. I found using the center stick to shift was easier than the buttons on the steering wheel...because I had on gloves. But I mixed it up a little, using the steering wheel buttons on the straights and the center stick out of turns, etc.

The thing that bothers me with the center console is the push foward to shift up...it is counter intuitive to me. I want to pull back to grab the next gear...like in the BMW SMG cars. So I had to really think about it before shifting, which took away my concentration from other things.

I ordered my GIAC tip chip last week and it should be in by this coming week. I wish I had it for yesterday...but not having it gave me a feel for how the car is stock, so...that's cool, I guess. I know it sucks. :roll:

A new Sepang Bronze E60 M5 couldn't keep up with me (I know...it's the driver versus the car), but it was nice slowly making space on the super sedan. Couple of Vettes let me pass, etc. Today had a combined BC group...so I'm certain those I got past were the B drivers...and probably not the C drivers. Since I could only manage half sessions...I never got passed. hahaha

Overall, nicely balanced car. It could use brakes and suspension and bigger wheels and tires. But I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it is, straight out of the box, minus the MTM chip and MTM wheel spacers on there now.

The S6 runs quite a bit of camber on all 4 wheels. Regular driving uses only the inner 1/2:

Old 01-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
TopGearNL
Regular User

Good to hear StanAE86! So the S6 really is a blast overall, handles good etc etc
Old 01-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
StanAE86
Regular User

Yeah, it actually was quite surprising how well it drove on the track. It feels smaller than an Avant. I wonder how much of an impact the wheel spacers played...by widening the track.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Must of been great to be the "crazy guy in the wagon" at the track.

Shifting with the center gear lever must of been weird as you mentioned shifting up you
had to push and not pull. I always thought SMG type shifters were all the same (push - shift down, pull - shift up)

You might not have felt the weight of the car but the tires and brakes definitely took a beating. Probably a good idea to cut the time short to save the brakes.

It's really great you get to take your cars to the track
Old 01-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Shifting with the center gear lever must of been weird as you mentioned shifting up you
had to push and not pull. I always thought SMG type shifters were all the same (push - shift down, pull - shift up)
That really pissed me off when I used to drive the Alfa 147 Selespeed. The Clio racer is as you say: pull - shift up, and push - shift down. The Alfa was the contrary... :roll:
I can see a potential problem with that indeed :shock:
Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
StanAE86
Regular User

No upgrades for the S6...daily driver. On the street, the brakes are fine. I don't go into the mountains with it...so I think I will keep it all stock. Except for the tip chip. I'll let you all know how it is, once it's in...
Old 08-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
master_jcp
Regular User

The old S6 was a very rear car or?
master_jcp is offline   Reply With Quote