Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-07-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default Innocent Man Set Free

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001

After 21 Years, DNA Testing Sets Man Free in Rape Case

By NICHOLAS CONFESSORE, The New York Times

(Oct. 7) -- If not for a chance inventory of DNA samples gathering dust in a Connecticut warehouse, Scott Fappiano might still be lifting weights in prison.

But after the samples were discovered by his lawyers last year, Mr. Fappiano finally had the evidence he had sought for half of his life. Yesterday, a State Supreme Court judge vacated his conviction for the 1983 rape of a Brooklyn woman, after the tests showed he had not committed the crime for which he spent more than two decades in prison.

Several hours after the judge’s ruling, Mr. Fappiano shuffled out a steel door into the hallway of a Brooklyn courthouse, clutching a brown paper bag of personal items in one hand along with every relative within arm’s length with the other.

“I just kept waiting,” said Mr. Fappiano, 44, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his gray sweat pants as his mother, a brother and several cousins looked on. “I’m just happy that it’s over.”

His family and lawyers were less forgiving, their elation warring with anger and frustration as they mulled the long path that Mr. Fappiano traveled between conviction and redemption, with 21 years of it in prison.

“The only thing I feel is that my son was kidnapped,” said Rose Fappiano, his 69-year-old mother. “I couldn’t believe this day had come.”

Mr. Fappiano was represented by lawyers from the Innocence Project, a nonprofit legal clinic that works to exonerate the wrongfully convicted through DNA testing. He was the fourth person in the last year in New York State to be exonerated by testing arranged by the project’s lawyers, who yesterday called for a full-scale reform of the city’s procedures for storing evidence.

“It is no small miracle that Scott is here today,” said Nina Morrison, his Innocence Project lawyer. “Had Scott’s case depended on the evidence storage and collection inventory procedures of the New York City Police Department, he would still be in prison today.”

In a statement, Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s deputy commissioner for public information, said that the department had requested proposals for a more advanced evidence tracking system to replace the current one. “The advanced system will be used, in part, to improve retrieval of old evidence, which has sometimes proven difficult considering the extraordinary volume and the lack of an automated system in the 1980’s and 1990’s,” he said.

In a separate statement, the Brooklyn district attorney, Charles J. Hynes, called Mr. Fappiano’s imprisonment a “tragedy.” Mr. Hynes also said that while Mr. Fappiano was convicted long before his tenure as district attorney, his office “conducted extensive investigations into this case and moved immediately to have him released” once the new DNA tests were performed.

The Brooklyn woman, who was not named in court documents, was raped several times in different rooms of her and her husband’s house in December 1983. Her husband, a police officer, had been tied up by the rapist in the couple’s bedroom with a telephone cord. The rapist had broken into the house and carried a gun, court documents said.

The woman identified Mr. Fappiano as her rapist while flipping through police photographs of men who matched the general description of her assailant, and later picked him out of a lineup, though he was five inches shorter than the man she said had attacked her and had shorter hair.

But the woman’s husband did not identify Mr. Fappiano out of the lineup. Though investigators retrieved nearly a dozen pieces of physical evidence of the crime -- including cigarettes the rapist had smoked, vaginal swabs from a rape kit and semen stains on a towel and on a pair of sweat pants the victim put on after the attack-- blood tests failed to link any of it to Mr. Fappiano.

In a separate statement, the Brooklyn district attorney, Charles J. Hynes, called Mr. Fappiano’s imprisonment a “tragedy.” Mr. Hynes also said that while Mr. Fappiano was convicted long before his tenure as district attorney, his office “conducted extensive investigations into this case and moved immediately to have him released” once the new DNA tests were performed.

The Brooklyn woman, who was not named in court documents, was raped several times in different rooms of her and her husband’s house in December 1983. Her husband, a police officer, had been tied up by the rapist in the couple’s bedroom with a telephone cord. The rapist had broken into the house and carried a gun, court documents said.

The woman identified Mr. Fappiano as her rapist while flipping through police photographs of men who matched the general description of her assailant, and later picked him out of a lineup, though he was five inches shorter than the man she said had attacked her and had shorter hair.

But the woman’s husband did not identify Mr. Fappiano out of the lineup. Though investigators retrieved nearly a dozen pieces of physical evidence of the crime -- including cigarettes the rapist had smoked, vaginal swabs from a rape kit and semen stains on a towel and on a pair of sweat pants the victim put on after the attack-- blood tests failed to link any of it to Mr. Fappiano.

Lifecodes was later acquired by a Orchid Cellmark, a testing laboratory based in Maryland and Texas, which also inherited the Lifecodes testing materials from the 1980’s and 90’s. The materials were stored in a warehouse in Connecticut until last summer.

In August, an official at Orchid Cellmark contacted Ms. Morrison to tell her that an inventory of those materials had turned up the two test tubes with Mr. Fappiano’s case number on it. They contained DNA material drawn from the sweat pants, which was retested by the city medical examiner this summer, along with a new DNA sample from Mr. Fappiano. Last month, prosecutors informed Mr. Fappiano that he had been conclusively ruled out as the source of the samples.

He appeared briefly in court yesterday, near lunchtime, standing before Justice L. Priscilla Hall as she considered a motion for his release. When it was granted, his mother stood and wept.

“Scott, we made it!” she cried.

But not quite. The wheels of justice turned no quicker for Mr. Fappiano after his innocence was confirmed than they had when his innocence was in doubt. It took four hours for the requisite state and city officials to sign off on his release, and it was not until late in the afternoon that he emerged from custody, in good spirits and itching for Italian food.

“It’s the easiest thing in the world to get into jail,” he said, “and the hardest thing in the world to get out.”
Old 10-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
Mattk
Regular User

Yeah, he's not even black...
Old 10-08-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
blinkmeat
Regular User

Did I miss the EBONICS -DAY memo?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
TopGearNL
Regular User

These stories make me sick :x
Old 10-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Zot09
Regular User

21 fucking years??? That is just ludicrous! The guy was in jail longer than I have been alive! I agree with TopGearNL, this just makes me sick.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by Zot09
21 fucking years??? That is just ludicrous! The guy was in jail longer than I have been alive! I agree with TopGearNL, this just makes me sick.
Unfortunately, it happens way too often. IIRC, a guy in pennsylvania was let go after 20 years once he was found to be innocent. They then went after him for child support he didn't pay while in prison. :roll:
Old 10-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

this must be so terrible for this dude. its gonna be very hard to get back into society after 21 years in...hopefully his lawyers wil sue for damages....
Old 10-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

What damages? He was guilty until DNA showed he wasn't. There's nothing which implies that someone fucked up other than his defence counsel.

Still, 21 years is a long time. However, these things have happened before, many times, and it shows how the law has to continually change to improve itself.