Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 05-03-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
irrational_i
Regular User

Default Tyre questions - Please help

I have to replace the tyres on my 1980 Porsche 911 SC.
The current tyres are Pirelli P7. Michelins where not available at the time. Now I have to replace the rear tyres again, and once more the Michelins are out of stock.
The dealer also stocks a tyre called "Kumho". Has anyone heard of this? Not only are they cheaper, but a little internet research seems to indicate that they are better than Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone!
The P7's where okay for highway travel and wore down fine, but I felt a lack in performance.

I am looking for performance, travelling regularly at or over 160kph.
Cornering is very important.

My size is: 255/65/15.
Choices:
Kumho kh11
Michelin Pilot Primacy
Pirelli p6000
Bridgestone Turanza E30

This site: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=GT
has some interesting comparisons.

Any help?
irrational_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
coombsie66
Regular User

Ive heard of Kumho's, never used them though. I currently run Toyo proxes T1-S's they are good in the dry, a little slippy in the wet and look good.
Not sure on the rest.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:42 AM   #3
irrational_i
Regular User

Thanks for the info. I would have seriously considered the Potenzas, but unfortunately in the sizes I need it is a problem. Also I need to replace them quickly and can't wait for 8 weeks intil new stock arrives from Europe. Sometimes South Africa really sucks.

Because they are so cheap I decided to give the Kumhos a try, as they seem to be at the very least a reasonable tyre.

Brembo:
I have had Kumho tires along with alot of other brands......(I run thru a few sets a summer)

I do not agree with this survey from the tirerack site, the Kumho`s do not have that great grip IMO......they are good for the money no doubt but if you are looking for something that really sticks to the tarmac dont buy that tire...
Did you run the kh11 or another model? The reviews for some other models where not that great or at merely average.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
irrational_i
Regular User

Thanks again. I only fitted the rear ones - fronts are on order.
I was playing in 2nd gear around some average corners and doing some acceleration.
They seem okay. Maybe a touch harder than the Pirellis I had before, but at least similar grip. I will play with them a bit later as its hard to say how good brand new tyres are.
Keeping the old Pirellis for track days though. Yummy. Almost slick Pirellis grip very well.