Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Japanese Cars

Japanese Cars Japanese car discussion

Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
LS3 GT-R . . . . . .
I was obviously joking. I'd consider something like that a sacrilege.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
What's wrong with the LS3? GM LS engines are some of the most flexible engines available. LS3 produces 430hp @ 4400rpm in the new Corvettes. You fit that engine with a twin turbo. 600hp? No problem.
Yes, if it were up to some of you every sports car should have an LS3. Want more power? LS3 with twin turbos. Want even more power? SLAP 4 TURBOS on that LS3.

In fact the veyron actually has two LS3's mounted in a W.

Oh no, we're about to ruin another thread. Im done with this ridiculous argument before it starts.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #18
Pokiou
Regular User

Damn right you are or ill end up sticking my right foot up your arse. And any that tries to take the topic off course!
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #19
79TA
Regular User

Well, the LS7R has gotten a few awards . . .
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/13/c...e-of-the-year/

Why you ask . . . Because you can make that much power with an N/A LS3? Because it sounds better? Because it's a silly idea that wasn't meant to be taken as a serious suggestion?
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #20
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I'm just saying. The Engine of the Year award usually goes to the most technically advanced engine anyway, not on affordability, availability, maintainability, etc... And as I recall... the VR38DETT hasn't won any Engine of the Year award either, did it? And lots of small sports car manufacturers do use LS engines a lot.

I'm not saying the VR38DETT is a bad engine. I'm just saying that it's probably easier to make 600hp with the LS3.

Of course, this was a case of a joke taken too seriously.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Of course, this was a case of a joke taken too seriously.
What joke? I do believe their a couple of LSx Skylines posted on these very boards..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #22
Pokiou
Regular User

those skylines ar bastardised... Id rather a straight 6 turbo anydays then a lumpy cunky lazy v8... Unless its one of those less angled italian v8's
Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #23
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pokiou View Post
Id rather a straight 6 turbo anydays then a lumpy cunky lazy v8...
Lazy V8s that win Le Mans! Whoop!

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
What joke? I do believe their a couple of LSx Skylines posted on these very boards..
It started as a joke, and as I was typing, I realized that it might be a good idea, although I'd hate to see an LS in Nissans. I've heard about too many 240SXs with LS1s...

Anyways. The GT-R's transmission is a twin clutch system designed in-house? Ricardo already made DSG that can handle 1000ft lb of torque. I can't see why Nissan can't. Although it might not want to do that for just one specific trim of one model, that they can't use on any other model. As for the engine, I'm sure it can cope with 600hp. They've already had mad small displacement production engines that make like 150+hp/liter. (Jag XJ220, Bugatti EB110, B Engineering Edonis... wait they're pretty much the same car. These are, of course, hypercars.) Not sure about the servicing issues with those engines, though. With void warrantees, they'd better take the cars to someone who really knows how GT-Rs work or face Nissan's wrath for ruining their "perfect" car.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 05-08-2008 at 09:58 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #24
Pokiou
Regular User

Well weeeeeeeee are not talking about LeMans cars or F1 cars are we ?? lol
Old 05-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #25
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Well weeeeeeeee are not talking about LeMans cars or F1 cars are we ?? lol
No. I sidetrack. But since you asked, I was talking about the LS7.R which is based on LS7 and has won a Global Motorsport Engine of the Year award. Nissan decided that the VR38DETT isn't fit for racing, so it put a 4.5L V8 in its GT500 car instead. (they did run VQ30DETT for a while with the 350Z, but they switched that with a V8 anyways) That's all. I'll stop talking about it if you stop bringing it up.

Do you think Nissan will keep the dual clutch system or they'll get a new gearbox for the V-Spec? I mean, these Japanese tuners must be worried for a reason, unless they don't know what they're talking about. Normal manual? Sequential manual? Just beef up the current one?

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 05-08-2008 at 10:56 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #26
Pokiou
Regular User

i never liked the auto shift.. but it seems to be proving it self quite effectivly.. non the less it will need to be overhauled. OR im sure they can slap on a 6speed manual.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #27
RC45
Regular User

i never liked the auto shift.. but it seems to be proving it self quite effectivly.. non the less it will need to be overhauled. OR im sure they can slap on a 6speed manual.
Wouldnt a 6 speed manul then make the car slower than a diesel Passat wagon though?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:37 AM   #28
Pokiou
Regular User

why the wink ? why would it make it slower ?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #29
torrentjunkie
Regular User

nice pic, looks good in red , maybe irrelevant but found a gallery with some great pics

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/first...n-gt-r/733982/
Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #30
RC45
Regular User

why the wink ? why would it make it slower ?
Why? Becuase the only reaon the GT-R is fast is because of all the computer aids.

Computer aided gear shift, computer aided traction, computer aided stability - and I am willing to bet money on a situational aware and computer controlled over-boost.

With a conventional 6speed manual and clutch pedal the GT-R would be a 3900lb Mustang