Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 06-12-2004, 04:06 AM   #16
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by astonmartinandy
Yeh Clarkie was approved as one of the few "European" customers. Doesn't it seem a bit pathetic that the original GT40 achieved a speed just 4mp/h less on the Mulsanne straight nearly 40 years ago?
You forget, the Nardo High-Speed track is a perfectly circular autodrome...i.e. a long, circular test track...This means that the car won't be able to achieve it's maximum straight-line velocity because in effect it is cornering as it laps. The top lane at Nardo has a hands off limit of 125mph or so if I recall correctly from the bit that Tiff did with the Bentley Continental GT, so you can imagine that it must be something of a corner at 205. At any rate, the fact that the car hit 205 on a banked circular ciruit would tend to mean that it has a true, straight-line top speed of nearer to 215mph or even 220, given the right circumstances.

Is that Enzo really worth it?
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #17
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Lol I appreciate the lower drag co-efficents and 200 mp/h is still an achievement for all car manufacturers, but I would still choose the original without a shadow of a doubt.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:27 AM   #18
blah
Regular User

I dont know about 200, once your going that fast drag becomes a bitch.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #19
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah
I dont know about 200, once your going that fast drag becomes a bitch.
Long, LOOOONG before you break the 200mph barrier drag is an issue hehe...hence the high-downforce wings on F1 cars and the pursuit of low frontal area, low Cd car design for mass market autos.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:04 PM   #20
nthfinity
Regular User

i think this image shows the eqation nicely. 200 is no skipper of a number on the ground
Old 06-13-2004, 08:35 PM   #21
SilverPhoenix
Regular User

http://www.topgear.com/servlet/tg?DE...Number=02.html

As the development cycle has moved on, the GT's big V8 has proven to be even more powerful than first predicted. "It now gives 550bhp," confirms GT Program Manager, Jamal Hameedi, here to chaperone me... and the car. "Once it passes 5,000 miles, we've been finding that it produces even more than that
SilverPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:03 PM   #22
blah
Regular User

holy shit they hit 202 on the Autobahn.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:13 PM   #23
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

ahhhh...i love underrated figures. always makes the buying public feel all cozy inside after they find out that their ford really has 550 hp and can break 200 mph, you know, instead of just knowing that their ford went wicked-fucking-fast.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:50 PM   #24
FordGTGuy

I geuss i'm the only one here that saw the footage of the Ford GT at Gingerman(whatever) raceway against the Modenas they weren't CS they were plain modena 360s. This test took place before they even put bigger wheels on the Ford GT actually they put them on after a test run before the Competition. Heres the thing the Ford GT had a 100 hp restriction taking it down to 400 hp. This Test run took place before they added the extra 50 horse power and took the rpm on torque down to 3750 and added 500 rpm to the hp so the Ford GT had these specs.
THIS IS THE 2002 FORD GT Concept Edition not the 2005
This event took place after the 6 months and before the Detroit Auto Show.
400 hp @ 6000 rpm
500 lbs-torque @ 6000 rpm

the Modena had its normal 2002 edition specs.

heres what happened in a nut shell. Ferrari got its ass kicked even wit Ford GTs restriction and non updated car.

A 360 Modena even broke its clutch trying to keep up and still fell seconds behind on every lap.

The Drivers did swap cars and yes the stats were the same Ford GT won over the Modena.

I love this spell check feature.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:52 PM   #25
FordGTGuy

I'm going into auto mechanics next year how does it gain horse power the more miles is it sort of like breaking the car in the a baseball cap or something?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:35 PM   #26
mclaren_Gt
Regular User

WOW 205 MILES
great info
Old 09-06-2004, 11:09 PM   #27
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by mclaren_Gt
WOW 205 MILES
great info
212mph... they downplayed it, then later everyone found out...
212 for the silver/black gt, 209 for the honeybee gt