Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #31
graywolf624
Regular User

i have yet to see the auto industry having products which are cheaper (GM) while sending factory jobs to mexico from michigan.... then again, most GM products have a cheap look/feel to them.
the cheap feel is in a great many of the cars in the other manufacturers as well, but GM generally is seeming to be winning in making cars that dont look fresh. but mabey thats just me
However, I am all about free trade, and expanding buisnesses in capitolism, rather then shifting greatly. although, i know a plant can not run efficiantly in a building which is 100 years old....
The interesting thing here is that gm has adapted toyotas lean manufacturing process. This is why they are breaking even. They aren't really doing that well though. They have an outside cost. Particularly 3-4 x as many retired employees then workers that they must pay retirement too. Ford meanwhile is still heading towards bankruptcy. These 2 are definitly propping up the market prices because of their outside costs. Then there are also tarriffs worldwide on certain car related items. Toyota is the only manufacturer that is making obsorbinent profits on their cars. And frankly while they are reliable cars, I feel if you compare the features of a camry (for example) to other cars in that price range the other cars have 10x as many features. However,they are riding off their reliability reputation.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote