Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 02-19-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
|Nuno|
Regular User

Default McLaren threatens F1 exit

From F1racing.net:

McLaren could pull out of Formula One at the end of the 2007 season if the sport's future is not resolved to the team's satisfaction, boss Ron Dennis has warned.

"If the status quo exists we will not participate in 2008," Dennis said. "We don't believe there will be two rival series and if the manufacturers and teams stay together, hopefully it will also be something that Ferrari will want to align themselves with."

"We think that transparency, fairness, appropriate governance and stability are crucial," added McLaren's F1 operations boss Martin Whitmarsh. "Give the companies which are now investing significant amounts in F1 - the sport needs to grow up. We wont keep the likes of Honda, Toyota and so on if they perceive a lack of clarity and fairness - and currently they do."

"I don't believe the voting members of the FIA have any comprehension of the dissatisfaction felt by all the manufacturers and the nine teams at the current situation in F1," Whitmarsh concluded.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
mindgam3
Regular User

Looks like bernie and max need to sort out F1 or else everyone including mclaren are definately going to GPWC.... good for them
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Toronto
Regular User

see what happens when a nazi is in power, they make everything worse, why max, why? (ya he is a real nazi, do a search on his dad )
Old 02-19-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
ikon2003
Regular User

Jeeez, I hope they get their act together. I'd hate to see one of the major players in F1 leave the scene.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
SafirXP
Regular User

hmmm... what is Ron Dennis whining about exactly?
SafirXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:21 PM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

This is just some negotiating tactics being thrown around. I wouldnt be overly worried

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #7
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
they are all little bitches, leave leave leave. the last thing F1 needs is cry babies.
i wasnt around when McLaren was dominating back in the 80's but i highly doubt Ferrari or any other team threatened to leave then. people are just mad and jealous of Ferrari's dominance and it seems the only way that they will take down Ferrari is by changing the rules, which goes to show they simply SUCK.
granted if they were winning, do you think they would care about the sport of course not.
its not just ferrari, its also how max and bernie ar running F1 as a whole
Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #8
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
This is just some negotiating tactics being thrown around. I wouldnt be overly worried
I'm not worried for one. I reckon it would be better if everyone moved to GPWC
Old 02-21-2005, 02:19 AM   #9
fultron
Regular User

I dont think Ferrari should have more controll over the rules than any other team. Actually dont think any team should have any say in the rules. I dont blame them. When is racing about politics? Its a competition to see who can build the best car, not who makes the most money or who can "sway" the rules. Hey, im all for the 8 teams leaving to go to the GPWC if it will allow the sport to exist without this ferrari/fia bond we have now. And dont get me wrong, im not trying to talk down ferrari or micheal but i agree with the teams, its time for a change.
fultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:37 AM   #10
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

Hooray thats the best news ever Im off to celebrate

Racing was about politics as soon as money is involved, thats how the world revolves and even if GPWC was to start, there will be just as much politics. They wont just magically disappear going to GPWC.

Bernie/Max has made this mess not Ferrari.

SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:51 AM   #11
Fleischmann
Regular User

I doubt they will exit F1 as it is their main source of finanse but it would be a pity if they did