Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 01-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
Mattk
Regular User

The costs:
Theory test for teacher 17€
Material for teaching about 20€
Extra pedal to the car about 60€
Inspection for pedal installation 28€
Teaching permit 19€
Driving permit 60€
Theory test 17€
Driving test 36€
Drivers license 13,5€
Driving school 2nd stage about 200€
In total 470,5€
Ofcourse in addition your relation with you father, mother, brother or whoever teached you is forever ruined after the trauma in the car
Sounds like the MasterCard "priceless" ads.

Getting your licence in my state is a somewhat long, although straightforward process.

Step 1: Go to motor registry and get your learner driver licence by answer a set of fairly easy questions correctly. This test is easy, because you can practise on the internet and memorise all the answers. You can do this at age 16. It is not remarkably expensive. $30-something for the test and similar amount for licence. This licence allows you to drive whilst accompanied by a sober person with a full licence.

Step 2: Learn to drive. Most people take plenty of lessons. Mine cost around $30 per hour. You need 50 hours of experience to be able to take your driving test, but not all of them have to be supervised by a driver instructor. You have to fill in a log book to log your driving experience.

Step 3: If you have 50 hours of experience and are 17, you can take the driving test, which involves doing regular stuff like driving, turning, parking, u-turns etc. Fairly straightforward, although first time around, I got a bastard who failed me for crossing a pedestrian crossing after this old bloke had just put one step on the crossing on the far side of the road. The test costs $30-something and the licence $40-something. The licence you get is the provisional driver licence 1, or "red Ps" (because you get plastic signs with a red P on them to put onto your car). This allows you to drive unaccompanied, at a maximum speed of 90km/h.

Step 4: After one year on your red Ps, you can go for your provisional driver licence 2. This involves doing a "hazard perception test", where you answer questions like in a computer game. Basically, you are given real-life situations on a video touch-screen and you touch the screen when it is safe to turn or overtake, or when you need to brake. This test is quite hard, if only because the screen is really fuzzy, but it only takes 10 minutes. Once you pass it, you get green Ps and can drive at a whopping 100km/h. If you took the driving test in an automatic car (most people do), you can now drive manuals as well, whereas before you could not. The test, again, costs $30-something and the licence costs $66.

Step 5: After two years on your green Ps, you can go to the motor registry and get your full licence. This involves a knowledge test of some description. You then pay some large amount of money and get your full licence, which entitles you to drive right up to the maximum speed limit, which is 110km/h, and also drive with a BAC of 0.05, whereas before you could have no alcohol.

I'm on my green Ps at the moment, a ripe target for cops doing random breath testing.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
saadie
Regular User

well ... here you get can get the licence after you get your ID card .. and you are eligible for an ID when you turn 18 ...
it took me like 30 mins ( blood group test // picture // filling forms // driving test)
got the licence after 3 days .... i dont know about the costs ... but im pretty sure it was under 10$
Old 01-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Mattk
Regular User

Some countries' licences aren't accepted in my state. Like Indonesian ones. When I went for my green Ps, this middle-aged Indonesian man could only get a learner licence, despite being qualified in Indonesia. He now has to take the driver test again. Haha, sucked in.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
saadie
Regular User

well there are schools ... but only girls go there .. my mom taught me how to drive like 4 years back ... when i was 15 .. after the 3rd day i wouldnt let her in the car haha ... she frigging yelled too much ... soo yeah it happens somewhere somehow

imo paying 1400 euros is worth it ... atleast you dont get to see 9/10 guys driving next to you who are total maniacs plus you get good roads to drive on and better cars unlike 1500 cc FWD cars available here
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Mattk
Regular User

I'd prefer a system where you actually need to know what you're doing to be on the road. Most people actually follow the rules here, except for taxi drivers and bus drivers. On more than a few occasions, I've almost been crushed by large buses who like to get into the wrong lane when they are turning, only to charge through into your lane without warning when the lights go green.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
evoWalo
Regular User

New License [ Non-Professional ] [ Professional ] [ Conductors ] [ Students ]
Criteria And Qualifications
1. Must be at least:
- Sixteen (16) years old for Student Permit
- Seventeen (17) years old for Non-Professional License
- Eighteen (18) years old for Professional License and Conductor's License
2. Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle
3. Must not be a drug user or alcoholic
4. Must be able to read and write in Pilipino or English
5. Must be clean, neat and presentable

I first got my license when I was 20-21yo I remembered the answers to the written exam being posted all over the Land Transportation Office (local equivalent to the DMV). Before the test they reviewed us verbally in the class, then have a short prayer so we all pass and the same fellow gives us the exam. Obviously 99% of the time you pass. The practical exam was just made up of parallel parking and parking forwards and backwards for cars while the exam for driving a small moped made up of driving 20 meters then a U turn and back again from where I started. I'm guessing they make it dummy-proof to allow just about anyone to be able to make a living out of driving a vehicle. It has the bad effect of allowing barely above retards driving on the roads who tend to rewrite the rules of the road. That's why people like Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso, Juan Pablo Montoya & Jarno Trulli have all said they're scared to drive in the Philippines for fear of life.

I could've gotten a pro license allowing me to drive a 10 wheeler truck but nixed it cause I dont want to get teased and go through all the hassles of blood drawn out of me.

New License / Permit
Fees / License
Student Permit / Conductor's License / Professional License / Non-Professional License
Application Fee 0.00 / 25.00 / 25.00 / 25.00
Computer Fee -- Application Fee 0.00 / 52.80 / 52.80 / 52.80
License / Permit 75.00 / 210.00 / 240.00 / 180.00
Computer Fee -- License Fee 52.80 / 52.80 / 52.80 / 52.80
Total 127.80 / 340.60 / 370.60 / 310.60

USD1.00 = PHP49.07
EUR1.00 = PHP63.337

It is customary to give a P500.00 bribe to expedite your license application

Did I mention driving schools are purely optional? To make much more affordable to the general public they allow students to be taught how to drive by non-pros under the assumption they know what they're doing and have the competence to impart important information.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Fleischmann
Regular User

Similair rules to Finland,. only different prices. The whole course costs around 1200 PLN atm which is rougly 300 euro. If you fail first time you get two more chances (costing 100PLN each), if after 3 attempts you don't succeed you must take extra lessons.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
TNT
Regular User

In the United States, the driving age is determined by the state or territory, with the most common age being sixteen. The age for a license varies from 14 years 3 months to 17 years. Most states and territories also have learner driver's licenses (also called learner's permits), which allow a person to drive provided they are accompanied by a licensed driver. There has also been a trend toward "graduated driver's licenses," in which new (especially young) drivers are gradually allowed more driving privileges instead of being given complete driving privileges all at once. Learner's permits are granted by some states to drivers as young as fourteen. Some states also issue driver's licenses to 14 or 15 year old drivers to drive alone. New Jersey issues licenses to 17 year olds and in NYC only those over 18 with drivers ed are permitted to drive alone.
In the U.S. all of the states have standardized their commercial driver's licenses for commercial drivers who cross state lines.
In the U.S., minimum driving ages vary from state to state. Here are some examples:

Alabama: 15 years (learner's permit), 16 years(License upon having learner's permit for 6 months)
Alaska: Small Motorcycle: 14 years; Automobile: 14 years (Learner's Permit) / 16 years (License)
California: Automobile: 15.5 Years (Learner's Permit upon completion of classroom and registration of behind the wheel classes of driver's education), 16 years restricted license.
Colorado: 15 years, 3 months (learner's permit)
Connecticut: 16 years, 6 months (4 months with Driver's Education)
Delaware: 15 years, 10 months (learner's permit)
Florida: 15 years (learner's permit) must have learner's permit for one year, 16 years (license)
Georgia: 15 years (learner's permit), must have learner's permit for one year and one day before applying for License (16: Provisional Class D License, 18: Full Class C License)
Hawaii: 15.5 (learner's permit), 16 with parental consent [3]
Idaho : 15 years (in daylight)
Illinois : 15 years (Learner's Permit), after 6 months - 16 (License with restriction)
Indiana: 16 years, 1 month
Iowa : GDL system (Approved Driver's Education Course requried for all licenses/permits ages 14-18 with the exception of the learner's permit, parent consent required for all licenses/permits years 14-18 ): 14 years (learner's permit, may drive with family member 21 or over and anyone with a full license 25 and older, written or computerized test of road knowlage required), 14 years (moped license), 14.5 years (minor's school license; must live 1+ miles from school (although, it is up to the school's administrator whether or not to enforce the 1+ rule), may drive to any official school event or activity within the district of residence or a contiguous school district), 16 years (license with restriction: Can not drive between the hours of 12:30 am to 5 am, unless you apply for a waiver), 17 years (full license), 21 years (full license with a Blood Alcohol Content of .08 )
Kansas: 14 years, with parent
Maryland: 15 years, 9 months (learner's permit) 16 years, 3 months (provisional license) 17 years, 9 months (full license)
Massachusetts: 16 years (learner's permit after passing a written test), 16 years, 6 months(after completing driver's education and 6 hours or supervised road lessons if under 18 ), or 6 months after receiving permit (license with restrictions).
Michigan: 14 years, 9 months (with parent), 16 years (graduated learner's permit), 17 years ("full license"). All drivers under 18 must enroll in an educational course to receive a license, or the passing of a written test if a license was obtained elsewhere.
Minnesota: 15 years (learner's permit), 16 years (license)
Mississippi: 15 years (learner's permit), 16 years (intermediate license; some restrictions), 16 years (full license)
Missouri: 15 years (learner's permit), 16 years (intermediate license; some restrictions), 18 years (full license)
Montana: 15 years
Nebraska: GDL system: 13 years (farm permit), 14 years (learner's permit), 15 years (school permit), 16 years (provisional license), 17 (operator's license)
Nevada : 15 years, 6 months (learner's permit), 16 years old (license after 50 hours of behind the wheel experiance and 20 hours night time driving while having learners permit)
New Hampshire : 15.5 Yrs, with an adult 25 or Older. 16-17 Youth Operators License
New Jersey: 16 years (learner's permit), 17 years (license with some restrictions), 18 years (license)
New Mexico: GDL system: 15 years (instructional permit), 15 years 6 months (provisional license), 16 years 6 months (full license)
New York: GDL system: 16 years (learner permit)6 months after learner's permit with road test(junior license), 17 years with completion of Drivers Education or 18 years (senior license)
North Carolina:To obtain a learner's permit, you must complete driver's education and be of 15 years of age. After holding the permit for one year without infractions, you may get a provisional license. After holding the provisonal license for six months, you may get a full license. However, you may obtain a motorcycle endorsement at 16, with parental consent, without having a driver's license.
North Dakota: 14 years, 6 months (learner's permit, must hold permit for 6 months and complete a driver education course if under 16), 15 years license.
Ohio: 15 years, 6 months (learner's permit, must hold permit for 6 mos. and complete 50 hours of road practice and a driver education course if under 18 )
Oklahoma :14 years small motorcycle (daytime only, under 250cc, max speed limit of 35 mph), 15.5 learners permit, 16 intermediate driver's license (5am to 11 Pm), must have had intermediate license for 6 months for full license.
Oregon: 15 years (learner's permit), 16 years old (provisional license with restrictions), 18 years (full license)
Pennsylvania: 16 years (learner's permit), 16 years 6 months (junior license with restrictions only after having completed a minimum of 50 hours of behind the wheel driving), 17 1/2 (unrestricted license if you've held a junior license for 1 year, passed an approved driver's training course, have not been involved in a crash where you were either partially, or totally responsible, have not been convicted of any vehicle violation, and applicant has parental or guardian's approval), 18 years (unrestricted license)
South Carolina: 15 years
South Dakota: 14 years (learners permit), 14 years, 3 months (with drivers ed) or 6 months restricted license.
Tennessee: 15 years (with parent)
Texas: With approved driver's education course, 15 years (learner's permit), 16 years (license,must have held learner's permit for 6 months if under 18 ).
Utah: 15 years (learner's permit), 16 years (full license)
Virginia: 15 years, 6 months (learner's permit), 16 years, 3 months (must have held permit for minimum 9 months, driven 40 hours, including 10 nighttime hours, with a parent or guardian, completed a state-sponsored drivers' education course in public schools or equivalent)
Washington: 15 years (learner's permit providing proof of currently enrolled in a drivers ed course) 15 years, 6 months (learner's permit), 16 years (intermediate license upon completion of instructional driving course), 18 years (full license if no instructional driving course was taken)
West Virginia: 15 years with learners permit, 16 with license
Wisconsin: 15 years, 6 months (learner's permit), 16 years (license, must have held permit for 6 months if under 18, 10 days if over 18 )

[edit]Decline in licensing among young people in the U.S.
In the past decade, fewer and fewer teenagers are getting driver's licenses. According to a December 2, 2004 Los Angeles Times article, only 43% of American 16- and 17-year olds had licenses in 2002[18]. By comparison, the percentage in 1982 was 52%. The rate is even lower in some states (e.g., 9% in Missouri). The decrease in percentages are said to be due to the many restrictions that an average teen must face overall in order to obtain the licenses.
For example, in California, when drivers under the age of 18 obtain a permit, they must hold that permit for 6 months, and must have completed training with a certified driving instructor. After meeting this requirement, drivers can attempt the supervised driving test. After passing the driving test, newly licensed drivers under 18 must be accompanied and supervised by a licensed parent, guardian or other licensed driver 25 years of age or older or a licensed or certified driving instructor when they:
-Transport passengers under 20 years of age at any time, for the first twelve months.
-Drive between 11 pm and 5 am for the first twelve months.
Instead of facing these provisions, most drivers under the age of eighteen today simply wait until they turn eighteen to get their driver's license in order to bypass these restrictions.

[edit]Other information and use as identification
Most U.S. states require new drivers to complete both driver's education classes (which include both classroom lectures and textbook lessons) and driver training (behind the wheel lessons with a state-licensed driving instructor) in order to earn a driver's license.
U.S. driver's licenses have a unique number or alphanumeric code issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent), a photograph of the bearer, a copy of his or her signature, the address of his or her primary residence, the type or class of license, restrictions and/or endorsements (if any), the physical characteristics of the bearer (like height, weight, hair color, and sometimes even skin color), and birthdate. Social Security numbers are becoming less common on driver's licenses, due to identity theft concerns. In some states the orientation of a provisional driver's license (for those under the age of 21) is vertical while a regular driver's license (for those over the age of 21) is horizontal. Most states require that when a driver establishes residence in a state, he or she must obtain a license issued by that state within a certain timeframe.
The classes of licenses are usually organized so that Class A is usually the license that indicates a person can drive the heaviest and largest vehicles. The license held by the vast majority of ordinary drivers is Class C, D, or E depending upon how the government sets the weight limits for each class. Motorcycles are usually Class M, although some jurisdictions simply add an endorsement permitting the holder to operate motorcycles as well as the class of vehicle for which he or she is licensed.
Because there is no national identity card in the United States, the driver's license is often used as the de facto equivalent for completion of many common business (and governmental) transactions. As a result, driver's licenses are the focus of many kinds of identity theft. Driver's licenses were not always identification cards. Indeed, in many states, drivers licenses did not even have a photograph well into the 1980s. Activism by the Mothers Against Drunk Driving organization for the use of photo ID age verification in conjunction with increasing the drinking age to 21 in order to reduce intoxicated drivers led to photographs being added to all state licenses. New York and Tennessee were the last states to add photos in 1986 (However, New Jersey later allowed older drivers to get non-photo licences; this was later revoked). Later additions varied from state to state, and have included fingerprints, bar codes, magnetic strips, social security numbers and tamper-proof features, most of which were added to prevent identity theft and to curb the use of fake IDs. States have now slowly been converting to digitized driver's licenses which incorporate holographs and bar codes to prevent forgery.
that is the most info i can find for the US
Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
MIHALS
Regular User

in Czech, 10 years ago I paid about 300 Euro, 2 months of theory and driving practise with instructor. during that time you're NOT alowed to drive on your own. after about 2 months you're doing test which contains 55 question, you're allowed to make max. 5 errors. then the driving test with police officer for about 20 minutes. after that you'll get the driving licence for the cars up to 3,5 tons.

still, Czech rep. has the worst reputation of safety on the road :bah: :x we have lots of idiots here who think they're kings of the road :fist:
Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
ViperASR
Regular User

I read from news yesterday about some Finnish guy who got a drivers license in Florida. It took him 3 hours and 20$.
Sounds about right . They hand out alot of drivers licenses to complete RETARDS over here. Alot of my friends dont deserve to have drivers licenses, and would probobly not get one in another country.

As for me, I got my permit when I truned 15. I dont remember the price and am too lazy to look, but I dont think it was much, like under $100. For the permit you have to have someone in the passenger seat who is 18 or older and has a valid drivers license. After you have had that for a year, and you turn 16, you get a full drivers license, but you have time restictions on it till you turn 18.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #11
graywolf624
Regular User

How many of your countries have a seperate license for manual versus auto cars?
Old 01-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #12
graywolf624
Regular User

To get my license I had to take a 25 question multiple choice theory test on a computer and a 25 min driving test. Total cost was under 100 dollars. First there was the learners permit which cost about 30 dollars and was a theory test. With that I could drive with an adult in the car (adult being anyone over 18). Then 6 months later I was able to take the drivers test for a full license. Pennsylvania has since instituted jr drivers license for the first few months of driving.

I have since changed states and the regs on my license change as I do. Currently, with no more testing, I am legally allowed to drive anything under 26000 lbs gross vehicle weight, less then 16 people and non hazmat. It concerns me a bit that any idiot can go out and drie something that size, oh well.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

a Drivers license here would cost you a total of about $830
here to get a license you need to do an eye sight test, then you take a picture of yourself that goes on a special paper that is your temp license, which you can only use while driving with the driving instructor, you need a min of 21 driving lessons, and if your lame you'll do more.. I've seen girls in my day that are in their +50th lesson.. :roll: you all so need to do a theoretical test. after the instructor feels you ready you do an internal test, an other instructor from the driving school tests you as if it was a real test.. if you pass a date is set for your real test with an official "tester" we call them.. and if you pass you'll get your license in a week or so.. you can fail and do as many test as you want, but it will cost you.. a theoretical test costs about $43 THE test costs about $57 and each lesson will run you about $28 could be more now days with the oil prices.. you take the theoretical test at 16 and half, and the final test at 17.. if you learn on an manual you can drive both manual and auto, if you learn on auto you can only drive on autos..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
gis
Regular User

wow i cant remember some of the stuff now.the lessons are £17.50 (when i did them) and that was for one hour.luckily i passed in 13 lessons so wasnt a fortune,compared to my mates 53 lessons,lol to send for the license once you have passed it was £35.i think the theory test wasnt far off that price either.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #15
bmagni
Regular User

I've had a license since i was 14 and I did no tests or anything, just paid the fee which was like 15dlls if I remember correctly...
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote