Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 12-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Zfrk's "new" baby: 1997 328i

Last month, after about 8 months of saving, I picked up a 1997 BMW 328i off of a co-worker for considerably less than I saved. It's not a iS, but it is a 5-speed with a 6-disc changer and Hi-Fi stereo. Cruise, ASC, board computer, etc.

He bought it off a customer for dirt cheap, went through it and fixed a bunch of stuff and tried selling it for $5,000 with no takers. Anyone that showed up either wanted to make payments are got scared of the fact that there are over 200,000 miles on it.

He started asking me if I was interested and after spending an entire day trying to by a coupe off of a used car lot (which didn't want to deviate from THEIR $5,000 asking price, despite needing $4,000 in repairs), I decided to stop by and check this one out. $3,500 later, I had a replacement for the Toyota, which will be relegated to track use.

So far all I've replaced the trailing arm bushings and need to replace the fuel system vent valve but that's really it. Paint isn't in the best condition, but with 208,000 on the clock, whatever. For the price I got it and the condition it's in; I can't complain.

I don't have anything planned as far as upgrades in the near future. Especially since there are other things I need to take care of around the house first.

After 4 years of driving a base model, $200 beater, and all the crap I got for it, the step up to an E36 feels like pure vindication, especially when I laugh about people still taking out loans for cars like this . Should last me another 100,000 miles easy

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Nice - and when you are done with it, gut it and make it your dedicated track monster.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

congradulations zfrk

A friend of mine just picked up a 318 5 speed... 96 or 97 I think. He bought it for a song; and unfortunately, he got what he paid for. At least it's falling apart less than his previous car. (Asking 2800 paid 1500)
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

E36's can be a tricky model to buy. At this point, the interiors are starting to let go. The seat leather in mine is pretty stiff and I need to start treating it.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
marcefer
Regular User

Congrats man! I really like the E36.
marcefer is offline   Reply With Quote