Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Japanese Cars

Japanese Cars Japanese car discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
toffytofik
Regular User

Default The Nissan GTR - THE LEGEND IS REAL

Brand new promo video of the powerful Nissan GT-R from the Geneva Motorshow 2008.
^
Awesome vid, very creative! Worth the watch!

And to spice it up, here's the other one: "Godzilla is back. Hits its First Strike!"

^
Warning: this one is very EPIC!

Enjoy!
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Interesting visuals. Although if it were up to me, I'd just have my super GT hooning around to an Italian aria... or metal.

As for the second one, it's an unofficial one, but it's aiming at all Porsches? Even the 993? Isn't that sacrilegious?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Seen the last one last year. Funny as hell when I first saw it. Still puts a smile on my face.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
04RCSTI
Regular User

I cant even imagine how much work that first video took...wow.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

This car has been hyped so much, that when the first series of recalls are done to address failing systems and broken parts - the financial blow to Nissan will be so devestating, they will wish they had saved the promo dollars to help pay for the warranty funds

Not even Ferrari or Porsche have taken so much time to promote false engine outputs and tyre specs - this one is sadly going to never live up to the hype

Add that to the rediculous markups being charged by dealers already, and you have the makings of a market white elephant not seen in decades.

Sad really, because this car could have been a hit without all this marketing crap - just let it stand on its merits, like say, the GT3 or Elise or even the NSX.

There will always be an asterisk next to any achievement of this Barry Bonds of the car world.

Last edited by RC45; 03-04-2008 at 11:22 PM.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Not even Ferrari or Porsche have taken so much time to promote false engine outputs and tyre specs - this one is sadly going to never live up to the hype
Never in the history of the whole world, has there been an internet poster, so inflammatory as You.

Arn't you finding difficult, being that there are so many 3rd party reports attesting to the GT-R's performance, to continue to criticise it? I was so anti- this car, but now it appears that Nissan have under stated the hp figures.. That's what I like to see.

(BTW, all vette's are rubbish. )
Old 03-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
(BTW, all vette's are rubbish. )
Them's fighting words. Never in the history of the whole world, has been an internet poster, so wrong as you.

And if a manufacturer's going to claim performance figures, they should do it with the correct power ratings. Otherwise it's deceptive. I mean, according to that one power reading, the GT-R makes, what, 520hp? That's 40 more than claimed. That's wrong. It creates an illusion of it being so much better than it is. As for other manufacturers, they tend to have different power ratings due to the method, like the Z06 actually making like 507hp instead of 500hp. Now that's understandable, but 40hp more than claimed? That sounds bit more than an innocent mistake, if you get my drift.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 03-05-2008 at 12:21 AM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
styla21
Regular User

Abolutely agree with you, that specified performance should be accurate.
I would be majorly pissed off however, if my new sportscar came in under the benchmark by which I thought it met. I would have been cheated.
But, if said new sportscar actually performs better, I'm not sure it gives the same grounds to feel cheated!

I don't agree with you that it's wrong of Nissan to understate their performance however, or that it "creates an illusion of being so much better than it is". That's just not possible by under-stating your product!

(And they were intended to be fighting words... And was gross tongue in cheek comment. I mentioned in another post that if anyone knew of decent RHD conversion shops, that I would actually consider buying the new vette and importing it downunder! - Comment was directed toward RC for his well known Vette support.)
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #9
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I don't agree with you that it's wrong of Nissan to understate their performance however, or that it "creates an illusion of being so much better than it is". That's just not possible by under-stating your product!
That's ubsurd. What's the point of standardizing power ratings and specifications when a manufacturer's willing to flatout lie about its product? Is it too much for people to ask for truth about a company's products?! I don't understand your irrational desire to defend this car.

(And they were intended to be fighting words... And was gross tongue in cheek comment. I mentioned in another post that if anyone knew of decent RHD conversion shops, that I would actually consider buying the new vette and importing it downunder!)
Then you shouldn't have said it.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Well, in the beginning Nissan claimed certain lap times from stock tyres and 480bhp.

That's when many said "Not if the car weighs 4000lbs it won't". All we said was, either the 480bhp is bull, or the time is bullshit - and now the truth surfaces that there is indeed more power.

Thats fine, but dont build a bunch of hype based on "we only need this little power to move our weight"... just state the real facts and move on

And the tyres - why Nissan and all these magazine reviewers just dont admit the GT-R comes with Michelin Sport Cup sticky tyres... again, simply state the facts and move on

After all, if the 997 C2 shipped with Sport Cups it would be twice the car.

So, if we put the GT-R into perspective and just keep it in context, then that would e ok - but the Jesus-mobile hype is getting a little much these days - ehehe

It's a great car, but very much dependent on all its special bits - I would like to have one that was 500lbs lighter
Old 03-05-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

I just think the car is ugly as sin, oversized, overhyped to the degree of the McLaren F1 ( which I "famously" loath for all the years of fanboy hype)

This is a populous car that is designed to stick it to the yanks in their home teritory---- the land of the Z06 performance bargain; and because it's supposed to hate on us Yanks; because of the fanboy love; because of the lack of journalistic integrity in performance tests.... all this and MORE is why I loath this car.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

In every case.... I look forward to seeing how one copes with the Loop in Hell with 10 year old Ferrari's

CARRY On, never mind me
Old 03-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
That's ubsurd. What's the point of standardizing power ratings and specifications when a manufacturer's willing to flatout lie about its product? Is it too much for people to ask for truth about a company's products?! I don't understand your irrational desire to defend this car.
Your mistaken.. I was one of the originators of the discussions, that questioned the validity over claimed lap times from Nissan. I questioned the weight, discussed the merit of slick / semi-slick tyres. I was not on the GT-R hype mobile, infact quite the opposite.

Notwithstanding, there is no gross injustice imparted by Nissan if the real power produced by their cars is indeed more than claimed power. If their car puts out 10% more power than originally claimed, you can't jump up and down and call them liars! They simply make decent engines??

I do not understand how you can feel cheated, or jaded if you were to get more than you were expecting and for what you paid for.

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Then you shouldn't have said it.
Since when are you a post nazi? It was a tongue in cheek comment to another member, who I doubt took offence and realised the humour as intended, and is well aware of my desire to import the new Vette, as soon as the RHD issue is resolved!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:35 AM   #14
RC45
Regular User

I do not understand how you can feel cheated, or jaded if you were to get more than you were expecting and for what you paid for.
Well, the problem I would have, is if you bought a 480bhp GT-R and got 520, and I bought a 480bhp GT-R and only got 490bhp.

A standard should be a standard right?

Since when are you a post nazi? It was a tongue in cheek comment to another member, who I doubt took offence and realised the humour as intended, and is well aware of my desire to import one, if it is at all feasible.
No harm - No foul
Old 03-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #15
justin101180
Regular User

The video is nice. but i'm not sure what they feature in it... the new GTR or the film projector I think it's the projector... Because it has more detail shots than the car
justin101180 is offline   Reply With Quote