Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
r2r
Regular User

Default One love/hate design...

...in your opinion.

And don't just pick out the obvious. Chose a car that you think others would not fully see it's greatness or flaws. Then give a reason to why you chose the car you did.

Pick in the same category, Ex:

Love: Audi c6 A6 - Very understated design, but without a doubt has all the elements of a great sedan. Elegant, clean forms that work with each other, looks purposeful inside and out.

Hate: 2004+ BMW 5 series - I thought I would grow into the design, but after three years every time I see one on the street I hate it progressively more. From the hideous headlights and taillights that look like eye lashes from a hooker, to the unorganized interior, this car is completely passionless imo.

Would love to hear your picks…
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
r2r
Regular User

Haha, I must be the only one really conscious about designs on cars. Either that or I'm really bored

Here is another one:

Love: Ferrari Enzo - Not beautiful in the traditional way, but with modern and extreme forms that show it's clear purpose and indicate its exotic flavor.

Hate: Saleen S7 - It might have the performance to match it's competitors, but as far as design it's screams "ok, I'm out of ideas. Lets mix and match parts from other supercars now..." Not to mention too many to count air vents on the car.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
acmarttin
Regular User

Ok, I'll play

I actually like this game, not a bad idea. Must just be slow board traffic?

Love: BMW Z4 - When it first came out I thought it was way overdone. I didn't like the "Bangle Bimmers" at all - as you pointed out with the E60 5er. But lately, my thirst for an S2000 is diminishing as the design gets dated, and my lust for a Z4 has peaked. Since we're talking design only, I really dig the taillights, and rear decklid. Basically the hourglass shape of this car and it's rear end have me ready to write a check as soon as I'm ready to buy a car. It's a modern roadster that has you slung low so you feel like a pilot and not an operator - staring down the long bonnet.

Hate: 2005+ Ford Mustang - I don't want to come off as a "Euro loving elitist" but most of the reason why I'm hating on the new 'stang is because I see, literally in a good full day of driving and errand running, at least near 100 of these every day. (Big city still counts!) And at first I thought - yeah kinda clever to bring back the old family look. But now I feel like, you might as well stamp a barcode on your forehead because it's the most typical coupe or vert in existence to me now. To my eyes now it's nothing more than a bland series of geometric slabs cheaply sewn together and fed to the masses. I guess once you stare at it enough you realize how dull it really is for a car that's supposed to excite.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:42 AM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Love: Mercedes-Benz CLS55/63 AMG - I guess I could've talked about other cars, but I love this car's looks. Some might say that it's droopy or banana like, but to me, it's swooping and shapely. It's just so elegant and design oriented compared to every other car in the Mercedes-Benz line up. Even the SLR. SLR's a tarted up hooker compared to the CLS. Everything is just the right shape and size. And When you get up close to it, it hits you. How low it is. How shallow the DLO is. The surface treatment on the side is just perfect, unlike the Tonka Toy-like bulges on the new MBs. The lights flow with the lines, the thin 5 spokes are insanely simple looking yet so elegant. I don't know how anyone could choose a regular E-Class over this. It's just simply the prettiest German car in the last ...oh 30 years? Or is that too much?
On a side note-I love BMW's Corona headlamp rings and the taillamps' "glow".

Hate: Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano - It's just so ugly. They took design cues from the Enzo (whose design that I never cared for) and stuck them on an awkwardly proportioned GT. It looks good on the F430, but not on the 599. The rear end looks fat. Those single taillamps don't help. The vertically stretched headlamps gives it a stupid permanently surprised look. The slats and the ducts and vents I'm sure are all functional, but they ruin the shape. Those flying buttresses, which I suppose are cool in idea, look terribly out of place. Roofline is weird. And the whole stance, that arse up-in-the-air look is just hideous. I've seen this car in real life in all the conceivable angles and there is absolutely nothing I like in how it looks. I guess even Pininfarina makes mistakes sometimes.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
79TA
Regular User

Love: '05 to current Mustang. The current gen Mustang is a thoughtfully executed modern rebirth of a classic. Despite bulking up to modern safety standards, the car has the classic long nose/short rear deck proportions that only pony cars seem to have. I can't see enough of these cars during the day. Sighting them always brightens my day, especially when one thinks about all the more expensive cars that the 4.6 litre V8 puts to shame. Even with the lack of performance potential of the V6 models, it's still fairly sporty and just as good looking. It's comforting to know that there's a stylish car that needn't be marketed as niche. No matter how many Mustangs might be on the road, the majority of the cars around me during my commute are soulless and inspire nothing but mediocrity.

Hate: BMW Z4 - It's been said that evil is a perversion of good. This statement is especially relevant to how the Z4 takes the long nose/short deck proportions to an awkward extreme. Driving a Z4 is not unlike driving around in a big cock - sack up no less. Of course, the usual bangle features are present with no shortage of overemphasized lines and dashes. On the theme of perverted good, the belt line seems to be taken from a '67 Camaro and then contorted into a soulless caricature. The rear end of the car is confused; it tries to taper off and then suddenly breaks . . . not unlike a turd. The car only looks "good" from a couple of angles at best. Otherwise, its proportions make it look as if it hadn't had time to fully develop in the womb. However, fetal alcohol syndrome on wheels would be a better explanation. The final offense is that the driver is telling the world that they had nothing better to spend 40,000.00+ dollars on.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
graywolf624
Regular User

Love: Cayman S: The design is sleek. Many people say it looks like the 911 but honestly I don't even like the 911s look. There is just something about the design. This is further accentuated by the ability to customize. You can make the car any color you want.. How cool is that? Granted the car is really pricey but still all in all I'd say its one of the nicest designs.

Hate: Nissan GTR- Ugly in a bulldog sorta way. The car looks as heavy as it really is. That honestly wouldn't be enough to make this enter my hate category. What is? How about the hype surrounding the car. The car isn't even released and already it is doing a 7:4x nurburing lap and a 1/4 mile at 11.7 149 mph. Given the first number is dubious at best and the second number is impossible (149 mph is a 8 second 1000 bhp timeslip), the car just represents all that is overhyped in the world.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
r2r
Regular User

Very interesting to hear some peoples opinions on these car designs

Originally Posted by acmarttin View Post
Love: BMW Z4
The Z4 has it's design flaws, but it is in my opinion one of the few successful modern BMW designs. And as 79TA pointed out, it might have "long nose/short deck proportions to an awkward extreme" it works with this car to give it that sling shot effect to emphasize it's purpose. I would much rather prefer the coupe as it highlights the car's design strengths in terms of connecting the whole package together. It's a modern automotive design that uses some traces of classic sports car proportions with a modern taste. It's radical in it's execution but stays true to it's purpose.

Last edited by r2r; 12-18-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:53 AM   #8
r2r
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Love: Mercedes-Benz CLS55/63 AMG
I agree with you on CLS. It's the only new modern Mercedes I love. Not to mention it's the only AMG model that looks like it should have the insane amount of horespower AMG is know to put in these luxury cars.

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Hate: Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano
I agree. Unfortunate to see Ferrari design in such a downfall, but I guess everybody has their bad days