Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #991
666fast
Regular User

wooooooo......that looks neat i must say Jabba..wonder how many days in a year you'd get to use the outdoor pool n jacuzzi, keeping in mind the climate in UK

Well, the pool obviously can't be used year round. But the jacuzzi certainly could be. A few friends have them and they all use it in the middle of winter. It gets damn cold here too.

The floor looks great Jabba, the second pic really shows the difference before and after. It was definately worth it IMO.
Was it sanded before it was varnished? Or was it just given another coat of varnish?

LOL, was it varnished, or is that some sort of stain?
<--- not a carpenter LOL
Old 08-09-2004, 03:09 PM   #992
Jabba
Regular User

Sanded then three coats of varnish.....talk about a mini sand storm and what a mess....but the results speak for themselves.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #993
666fast
Regular User

talk about a mini sand storm and what a mess
I can imagine. Looks great though! :thumbsup:
Old 08-09-2004, 03:12 PM   #994
Jabba
Regular User

Thinking about this as a short term fix for the climate issue.

What are the advatages of having an air dome?
An Air Dome extends the season in which you can use your pool
An Air Dome extends the time of day you can use your pool. Even after a warm July day, if you get home at 7pm it can to be too cold by then enjoy a swim - not if you have a dome!
An Air Dome extends the number of times you use your pool. Even in July not every day is a scorcher but with a dome you can swim in just about all weathers.
An Air Dome means you won't be cold when you get out. Even a slight breeze on a sunny day can make you cold when your skin is wet. No breeze inside your dome!
An Air Dome means saftey for your children and animals. With the pool sealed off you can let your children play outside without worrying if they will accidentaly fall in the pool.
An Air Dome acts like a green house making the inside nice and warm on a sunny but cool day.
An Air Dome saves on heating and chemical costs and maintenance. No leaves get in your pool with a dome and the green house effect does wonders for your water temperature.
An Air Dome can be taken down if it gets too hot, and it can get very warm in there on a warm sunny day.

How do they work?
They are a bit like a big bubble. A small fan blows air in to the dome to keep it up and it is kept down either by a water bag around the bottom or bolted to the ground via a cable around the bottom. The fan uses as much power as a 100 watt light bulb. You get in and out through a zip door. They can be taken down in about 30 minutes if it is so warm you don't need it up.

How much do they cost?
They are not an inexpensive item but they advatages they bring make them worth the money. Select the size you want and see how much it will cost. You will need about 3-4 feet or room on the side of your pool and say 5ft at one end and 10 to 12 ft at the other end to get your patio set in.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:19 PM   #995
yg60m
Regular User

An Air Dome extends the time of day you can use your pool. Even after a warm July day, if you get home at 7pm it can to be too cold by then enjoy a swim - not if you have a dome!
An Air Dome extends the number of times you use your pool. Even in July not every day is a scorcher but with a dome you can swim in just about all weathers.
An Air Dome means you won't be cold when you get out. Even a slight breeze on a sunny day can make you cold when your skin is wet. No breeze inside your dome!
An Air Dome means saftey for your children and animals. With the pool sealed off you can let your children play outside without worrying if they will accidentaly fall in the pool.
An Air Dome acts like a green house making the inside nice and warm on a sunny but cool day.
An Air Dome saves on heating and chemical costs and maintenance. No leaves get in your pool with a dome and the green house effect does wonders for your water temperature.
An Air Dome can be taken down if it gets too hot, and it can get very warm in there on a warm sunny day.
LOL, is it a song lyrics ?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:26 PM   #996
sameerrao
Regular User

LOL

Originally Posted by yg60m
LOL, is it a song lyrics ?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #997
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba

that looks like an accident waiting to happen.... pool party... lack of air
Old 08-09-2004, 04:38 PM   #998
coombsie66
Regular User

Strange coincidence jabba, that your now sorting out your pool and jaccussi, I was gunna wait till i'd finished it, but here's a little taster of what ive bin doin this summer so far!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2004, 04:01 AM   #999
Jabba
Regular User

DAMN that looks great....I am very interested in anything you can tell me about the whole project...such as cost, running equipment and any problems you have had so far....I might go for a fresh start next year seeing as the last guy has really fucked my current pool up badly......anyway congrats coombs and sons....looking forward to the next set of pictures.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:54 AM   #1000
possessed_beaver
Regular User

wow man, a massive improvment from what you're pool from the pics u sent me before.

i think the air bubble looks a bit stupid imo, i would just stick with heating.

u should post some pic's off you're green lake.
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:12 AM   #1001
Anonymous

LOL it would look a bit Area 51/ weird if viewed from above either that or they'd think you were growing something suspicious under there

Oh and coombsie you've been very busy, i hope you've had/ have decent weather to get that all done, very cool 8)
Old 08-10-2004, 01:30 PM   #1002
coombsie66
Regular User

DAMN that looks great....I am very interested in anything you can tell me about the whole project...such as cost, running equipment and any problems you have had so far....I might go for a fresh start next year seeing as the last guy has really fucked my current pool up badly......anyway congrats coombs and sons....looking forward to the next set of pictures.
Thanks, its been a lot of work, bin at it for about 5-6 weeks now, theres a bit more dun now compared to that pic. I was gunna compile the build photos and do a 'pool build' thread.
For your information, so far: It is a 32 x 16 ' liner pool, which will be heated by an oil fuel boiler (same as a normal with use of a heat exchanger, rather than a bloody expensive pool boiler), high pressure filtered. I wont post ny more details here, but when i get a chance i'll start the other topic! Today we put the oil tank in (hidden behind bushes) and ran a service trench to our pumphouse (which is below ground level so no air locks) for water, electrics, and the oil fuel suppy line.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:24 AM   #1003
Zonda11
Regular User

What are the advatages of having an air dome?

How do they work?
They are a bit like a big bubble. A small fan blows air in to the dome to keep it up and it is kept down either by a water bag around the bottom or bolted to the ground via a cable around the bottom. The fan uses as much power as a 100 watt light bulb. You get in and out through a zip door. They can be taken down in about 30 minutes if it is so warm you don't need it up.

How much do they cost?
They are not an inexpensive item but they advatages they bring make them worth the money. Select the size you want and see how much it will cost. You will need about 3-4 feet or room on the side of your pool and say 5ft at one end and 10 to 12 ft at the other end to get your patio set in.
Build another house there.....That can be an indoor pool attached to house number 2.

Zonda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:02 AM   #1004
Jabba
Regular User

That would be great indeed....as I understand it the last people tried to do just that...either it was too expensive or they couldnt get permission from the local planning council...anyway something I would love to look into.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:18 PM   #1005
Nik^XeN
Regular User

nice place jabba!
Im jalous of you! nice house nice Lambo ops:
haha