Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 07-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
kach22i
Regular User

Default Fire destroys car and art collection

Does anyone know what was in the car and art collection of Linden Nelson?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31983402/
The home was owned by Linden Nelson, chairman and CEO of Raleigh Michigan Studios, formerly Motown Motion Pictures.

Four people were home when the fire broke out around 4 a.m.

No one was hurt.

Neighbors told Local 4 there was a party at the home Friday night.

They also said Nelson was known for his art and car collections, which he kept inside the home.

Several million dollars worth of artwork may have been lost in the fire.
Architect and Business Owner
kach22i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

no idea really.

BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP: Investigators to seek cause of mansion fire

An investigation is to start this week into the cause of the fire that destroyed a 23,000-square-foot home on Wing Lake Road, Fire Chief Dave Piche said Sunday.
Piche said officials from his department, the township's fire marshal, Oakland County Sheriff's Office and the homeowner's insurance company will investigate the blaze.
No one was injured in the Saturday morning fire at the home of movie studio businessman Linden Nelson. According to the township's assessor, the property has a 2009 assessed value of $2.45 million.
I think that assessment is obtusely low. The property alone that it is on may be 2.45MM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Hmmm - in these types of economic times, it is easier to be paid by insurance for such lists of assets rather than try sell them on the open market... I am just saying......
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Hmmm - in these types of economic times, it is easier to be paid by insurance for such lists of assets rather than try sell them on the open market... I am just saying......
You mean het did it on purpose?
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
You mean het did it on purpose?
speculating that is what may have happened. I don't think so considering the state subsidization of the film industry as of late. Also, even if it was... he "owns" so many politicians (as in they owe him favors)...

http://www.campaignmoney.com/politic...n.asp?cycle=08
Old 07-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
lago1
Regular User

Not sure which autos he kept in the garage odf his wing lake house, however He did collect mostly modern art. Please remember Lindy has a close friendship/biz-relationship to Alfred Taubman who is a high -end collector of fine art.

I would like to comment on a couple of points made here in this forum. The 2.45M assesment is really low considering it is a 23k sq. foot structure of steel/glass and wood designed by Irving Tobocman. That puts it at $100 a sq. foot! I would say the $5-6M dollar range is more like it.

One fine detail that bothers me is Mr. Nelson himself called the Fire dept at 4:19am.... His high-tech fire alarm system should have alarmed the residence. When we have a problem w/ one of our biz's we get a call from the alarm Co. then they notify the fire dept. But in the news it says Lindy himself called..I find this strange. Also ,I'm suprised the home did not have some kind of fire-suppression system to protect the fine art.

In the past , Nelson always had a staff of one live-in servant at a much smaller home he previously had in Blmfld hills (approx 10k sq. feet) It shocks me that only 4 (mr-mrs and 2 children) were at the home during the fire .... especially since he had a large party the evening b4. I'm sure Irving had to have had a servants quarters somewhere tucked away in the design of the 23k sq. feet house.

All done and said...It's an awful thing to have your home and contents lost to a fire...Fortunately everyone is safe.

One further note, During a business trip to Aspen Co. just two weeks b4 this fire tragedy, Lindy was arrested for being disorderly and resisting arrest for parking in a Fire Lane in downtown Aspen. Linden was only charged w/ being disorderly.

Oh ... To the individual who commented on Nelsons' political contributions ... What's your point?
lago1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

All interesting info, lago. You are by far more informed on this than the rest of us. Thankfully everybody is ok.

Originally Posted by lago1 View Post

Oh ... To the individual who commented on Nelsons' political contributions ... What's your point?
Contributions net political favors. Doesn't matter whom the beneficiary is; only that the said candidates have won. Of course, the suggestion is merely speculation. Nothing more.

Spoke with somebody yesterday who is very familiar with the property; and basically, the home fills up almost the entire property itself. Taubman came up in the conversation as well; and Marvin did as well.

Not much of an update here:
http://www.hometownlife.com/article/...WS02/307210001

You seem to be pretty familiar with the family, are they OK?

Last edited by nthfinity; 07-22-2009 at 10:24 AM.
nthfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
kach22i
Regular User

From that artcile link, someone wrote some pretty good commentary.

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/...WS02/307210001
BigHattMan wrote:

If you are inteested in doing some Internet research, try the following:

1. Google "Aspen Daily News" and then search the name Linden D. Nelson. Very interesting stuff. For example, Mr. Nelson paid $13M for the Crystal Palace restaurant which has been closed for months due to lack of business.
2. Aspen Daily News mentioned Mr. Nelson was building a shopping mall (with his pal Taubman?) in North Las Vegas but for which construction has been stopped.
3. Today, fifteen vehicles were all over Wing Lake Road in front of the house. Rent-a-guards watch over the driveway entrances. Oakland Sheriff' car in the driveway, Fire Dept. investigator car on the street. What are they so interested in?
4. Contrary to rumors, the house is NOT in foreclosure.
5. What would be the motive to torch the house?
7/22/2009 4:20:58 PM
Architect and Business Owner
kach22i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

5. What would be the motive to torch the house?
Cashflow
Old 07-23-2009, 03:06 AM   #10
Mattk
Regular User

I would like to comment on a couple of points made here in this forum. The 2.45M assesment is really low considering it is a 23k sq. foot structure of steel/glass and wood designed by Irving Tobocman. That puts it at $100 a sq. foot! I would say the $5-6M dollar range is more like it.
I'm pretty sure the $2.45mn figure is for land only. The house itself is for real estate agents to value. Considering this is a designer residence, I doubt there would be a great incentive to burn it down. Most people trying to run an insurance scam would not be torching their primary residence and all their art work and cars. It's not worth it in an emotional sense.

Contributions net political favors.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. Incumbency is a major factor (to the tune of around 80%) in the US. It's pretty difficult to own a politician because they'd probably get re-elected anyway. It's also difficult for a federal politician to help individuals directly. What is Hillary Clinton going to do for him? Hire him to make movies?

One further note, During a business trip to Aspen Co. just two weeks b4 this fire tragedy, Lindy was arrested for being disorderly and resisting arrest for parking in a Fire Lane in downtown Aspen.
What was he doing!? Parking in a fire lane is hardly the most heinous of offences. He must have gone crazy.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
I'm pretty sure the $2.45mn figure is for land only. The house itself is for real estate agents to value. Considering this is a designer residence, I doubt there would be a great incentive to burn it down. Most people trying to run an insurance scam would not be torching their primary residence and all their art work and cars. It's not worth it in an emotional sense.
At these levels there is no "emotional sense" - see Bernie Madoff for reference.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Incumbency is a major factor (to the tune of around 80%) in the US. It's pretty difficult to own a politician because they'd probably get re-elected anyway. It's also difficult for a federal politician to help individuals directly. What is Hillary Clinton going to do for him? Hire him to make movies?
Wrong on every front - you clearly do not understand how the system has played out here due to the incumbancy level - I will share a special Video series with that will assist in allowing you to understand the level of corruption that has been achieved by predominantly liberal ( but some coneservatives as well) legislature.

Money buys politcal favour here - plain and simple - see Clinton renting out the Lincoln bedroom for reference.

What was he doing!? Parking in a fire lane is hardly the most heinous of offences. He must have gone crazy.
Parkign in a fire lane is actually quite the offence if a Fire Inspector or actual Emergency personal arrive on the scene. Thats why they have firelanes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
Mattk
Regular User

At these levels there is no "emotional sense" - see Bernie Madoff for reference.
Bernie Madoff had no soul and therefore did not feel guilty ripping everyone off. Normal people don't do that. Maybe Nelson is the same and only collected cars and art to appear cool, but unlikely.

As for political contributions, I see your point, but I'm not convinced simply handing over money would have helped Nelson. He doesn't seem to donate a great deal of money. A few thousand here and there is pretty insignificant for a wealthy man.

Parkign in a fire lane is actually quite the offence if a Fire Inspector or actual Emergency personal arrive on the scene.
Well, obviously, but I'm pretty sure you won't get thrown in prison for it. The arrest must've been for going beserk.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

As for political contributions, I see your point, but I'm not convinced simply handing over money would have helped Nelson. He doesn't seem to donate a great deal of money. A few thousand here and there is pretty insignificant for a wealthy man.
Those contributions do not include those made to PAC's. The system is much dirtier ever since Campaign Finance Reform was set. Additionally, he gave considerably to local politicians, not just those on the federal level. The assessor is somebody on the local level which he appears to have levied to receive such a low assessment. This comes from a town where if there is a Ferrari in the driveway when the Assessor arrives; the property value magically jumps $50,000 + over the previous year, even if the home was bought the previous year or the economy is in a downturn!

Also, the said local State politicians granted, or directed a great deal of capitol investment and business his way in the means of the Hollywood movie industry. Something to the nature of Hollywood pays 40% less tax for movies made here over any other state. Detroit was used as the desert city battle location in Transformers 1... and plenty of other recent movies have been made here. You could argue that his political contributions have already been paid back.

As per the suggestion by RC, this kind of wealth, or lack of cash flow can make one ponder, and go to extremes. He is investing in RE in all the wrong places...
Old 07-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
RC45
Regular User

Here you go Matt - a small sampling of "local" corruption... and it just gets worse the higher up the chain you go - ethics, honesty and liberal politicians do not mix well

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1248...cle-outset-box

By SUZANNE SATALINE and AMIR EFRATI
Federal agents swept into New Jersey towns across several counties Thursday morning, charging 44 people, including mayors and religious leaders, in a federal investigation into public corruption and a high-volume, international money-laundering conspiracy.

The arrests in the corruption probe included Peter Cammarano III, the newly elected Democratic mayor of Hoboken; Dennis Elwell, mayor of Secaucus, also a Democrat; state Assemblyman Daniel Van Pelt, a Republican; and Democrat Leona Beldini, the deputy mayor of Jersey City.

Arrests that are part of the money-laundering portion of the investigation include several rabbis in New York and New Jersey, according to Ralph Marra Jr., acting U.S. attorney for New Jersey.

Those arrested were expected to be arraigned in court Thursday afternoon.

The key to the investigation was an Orthodox Jewish real-estate developer, according to a person familiar with the matter. Solomon Dwek was arrested on bank-fraud charges in 2006 and was forced to seek bankruptcy protection for himself and his companies, which owned about 300 residential and commercial properties. Mr. Dwek, 36 years old, a religious-school head and philanthropist from Ocean Township, was charged with defrauding PNC Bank out of $25 million. Mr. Dwek remained free on a $10 million bond. A lawyer for Mr. Dwek couldn't be reached for comment.

To ensnare most of the defendants, the Federal Bureau of Investigation used Mr. Dwek to attempt to bribe numerous public officials in New Jersey, including Hoboken and Jersey City, according to a person familiar with the matter. The probe roped in several other real-estate developers who also wanted to bribe officials. The criminal complaints unsealed Thursday referenced an unnamed "cooperating witness" who represented himself as a real-estate developer seeking to pay bribes. A person familiar with the matter said Mr. Dwek is the witness.

"The politicians willingly put themselves up for sale," Mr. Marra said in an afternoon news conference. "They existed in an ethics-free zone."

Mr. Cammarano, who became Hoboken mayor on July 1, allegedly agreed to take $10,000 in bribes from the cooperating witness in exchange for supporting the developer's future plans in Hoboken. The alleged bribes occurred during Mr. Cammarano's mayoral campaign earlier this year, according to the FBI's complaint, which also charged an associate of Mr. Cammarano, who allegedly served as a middleman and took cash for him.

Mr. Dwek was also the key to the money-laundering probe, according to the person familiar with the matter. Under the FBI's direction, Mr. Dwek represented himself as someone who engaged in illegal businesses and schemes including bank fraud, trafficking in counterfeit goods and concealing assets and monies in connection with bankruptcy proceedings.

In 2007, for example, Eliahu Ben Haim, the principal rabbi of Congregation Ohel Yaacob, a synagogue located in the shore community of Deal, accepted a $50,000 check from the cooperating witness, which was drawn from an account held by a fictitious company set up by the FBI "for the purpose of enabling [the cooperating witness] to launder money represented to be the proceeds of illegal activities," according to one criminal complaint. Mr. Ben Haim was named as a co-conspirator in court documents. The check was made payable to one of Mr. Ben Haim's charitable organizations "with the expectation that the proceeds would be returned to the [cooperating witness] at a later date, minus a ten percent fee to be retained by Co-conspirator Ben Haim."

A woman who answered the phone at Ohel Yaacob Congregation in Deal said, "I don't have anything to say.''

"The rings were international in scope, connected to Deal, N.J., Brooklyn, N.Y., Israel and Switzerland," Mr. Marra said. "They trafficked in the cleaning of dirty money all across the world."

Mr. Marra added that one defendant, who became known as the "kidney salesman," worked to get people to donate kidneys for $10,000, then would look to sell the kidneys for $160,000.

New Jersey has been rife with political corruption for decades. Chris Christie, a Republican and former federal prosecutor, is campaigning for governor citing his long track record of winning convictions of public officials.

Gov. Jon Corzine, a Democrat who is running for re-election this year against Mr. Christie, issued a statement saying: "Any corruption is unacceptable – anywhere, anytime, by anybody. The scale of corruption we're seeing as this unfolds is simply outrageous and cannot be tolerated."

Mr. Corzine ran four years ago promising to quash corruption in the state. A package of proposed legislative fixes have been held up in the legislature and he has been subject to withering criticism by voters who say he failed to act on his promise.

Who's Who in the Probe
Here's a closer look at the public officials arrested Thursday as part of a major corruption and international money-laundering conspiracy probe:

■Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano III, 32: Lawyer and former Hoboken City Councilman since 2005, he was elected mayor of Hoboken in June.
■Secaucus Mayor Dennis Elwell, 64: Served more than two decades as mayor and a member of the town council and is a former Secaucus Board of Education member. A Vietnam combat veteran, he is also the president of a family-owned trucking company.
■Jersey City Deputy Mayor Leona Beldini: One of three deputy mayors for New Jersey's second-largest city.
■State Assemblyman Daniel Van Pelt, 44: Elected to the Legislature in 2008, the Republican from Monmouth County is also the mayor of Ocean Township, a post he has held since 1998, and is the Lumberton Township administrator.
Source: Associated Press