Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines

Books, Comics And Magazines This is the place to discuss Books, Comics And Magazines that you have read / are reading

Old 07-12-2006, 12:01 AM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Diary; Chuck Palahniuk

Ok, two books in a row by the same guy, and i'm reading a third. I've never been one to pick a favorite other, but good lord, i can't stop reading this guy's books. Chuck Palahniuk is every creative writing teacher's WORST nightmare.

Diary is much more mild than Choke was, and what Haunted is turning out to be. Granted it's still fucked up , but it doesn't start getting deep until you get deeper into the book. It focuses around an art school dropout and housewife who has finally gotten fed up with being threatend by people who have had their summer homes remodeled by her husband, who is now in a coma after a failed suicide attempt. Inside rooms that he sealed off, he spray painted messages that are seemingly meaningless to anyone but him.

Written as a diary, Misty Wilmot's diary, it chronicles everything from June 21st to September 3rd. Her huband, already in a coma, her artistic talent gone and being replaced by a pallate of alcoholic drinks, she reaches for sanity from her overbearing mother in law who insits she is going to produce the masterpiece that saves their island town from the mainland vacationers who are over running the place. The further it all goes, the more twisted and diabolical it becomes until she is nothing but a pawn in a plan that everyone but her is in on.

260 pages, so it's not that lengthy (not compared to some of the other stuff i've read in the past anyway). You won't regret getting any of his books.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote