Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines

Books, Comics And Magazines This is the place to discuss Books, Comics And Magazines that you have read / are reading

Old 05-09-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
TransAm
Regular User

Default Recommended reads (fiction and non-fiction)

Ok then, anything you've read of late that you'd think others might enjoy you can add to this thread:

1. A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson (Non-fiction)

This book gives a laymans view of a lot of interesting and complex scientific topics. Bill is a great writer too.

2. The English by Jeremy Paxman. (Non-fiction)

Jeremy is the political TV presenter who ripped Tony Bliar (sic) apart on TV just before the election. The book is a bit boring in places but overall it is an interesting read for anyone with an interest in the country or it's people.

3. Mr Nice - Howard Marks. (Non-fiction)

An autobiography by an infamous drug dealer (now retired I guess). I was interested to see how he got from Oxbridge to where he ended up...

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
gucom
Regular User

I enjoyed all Dan Brown books ive read so far (all non-fiction). The most famous one, the Da Vinci Code, was IMO the best.

There are just so many great books i've read, i'll try to make a list of the absolute highlights some time
Old 05-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
komotar
Regular User

Ok, now you gave me something to talk about.

I love anything about history, specialy 19th,20th century and 1st and 2nd WW.
My dad got me into it. My living room is full of history books.

My dad had a thing for history too. He was born in 1933 and got to see the 2nd WW. At the end, when the germans left this place, he found bunch of army stuff. Not weapons but emblems, small things, army crosses and awards.... Interesting shit.

If anybody's interested, I can take a pic of all the stuff...

Anyway, right now I'm writing a book called The Age of Extreems. The writer is ERIC HOBSBAWM. He's a freaking genious of a historian. If anybody is into history, the development of capitalism, comunism and stuff like that. Politics over the last couple of centurys, check this guy out. This is his third book I'm reading...

I like biographies of any kind. I like to read about the big and important people that made a difference.

And then there's Jules Verne. I think I have read all of his sc fi stuff.
The things that went on in his mind were just out of this world.....

Modern sci fi novels are nice, but nothing compared to the pioneers of the whole sci fi novel era.....

If anybody knows a good early sci fi writer, tell me about it.Thx.

And the history freaks, check out Mr. Hobsbawm. It's a demanding read, but the amunt af stuff you learn about the past is just mind blowing...

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
topgeartom
Regular User

Indeed, i lost sooo many hours of sleep thanks to 'The Da Vinci Code'

altoguh if you have read TDVC, then i suggest you get your hands on some of Robert Crais' novels.

I have read L.A. Requiem, which, although a little more 'trashy' than TDVC is still a very entertaining and gripping read.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
666fast
Regular User

Finished "A Portrait of a Killer" by Patricia Cromwell not too long ago. Very good book about Jack the Ripper and who he could be. After reading the book, I'm convinced that the person in the book is indeed Jack the Ripper. I also didn't realize just how brutal and disgusting the murders were.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
TransAm
Regular User

@ komotar - what about Aldous Huxley and HG Wells for pioneering SF authors. Iain Banks is supposed to be good as well. SF is not my thing, but my best mate is well into it.

@gucom and Tom - Funny you mention Dan Brown - I went on a business trip recently (UK) and bought a couple of Dan Brown books, Deception Point and Angels and Demons. I intended to get TDVC but could only find a hardback version. Anyway, I started reading A&D and I couldnt get into it at all. Maybe I was a bit too tired on the journey.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
TT
Regular User

Hehe Dan Brown is the big hit of the moment obviously and I guess most of us did already read The Da Vinci code I have Angels and Demons too, but on the shelve for now.

A different read I am finally achieving after years is the Black Tower saga by Stephen King.. I read the first book when it first came out.. then it took a fucking lot to complete the 6 books opus! Finally I am reading the 5th one and although it is totally different from the usual King's work, it's a nice read IMO
Old 05-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
ARMAN
Regular User

Originally Posted by komotar
Anyway, right now I'm writing a book called The Age of Extreems. The writer is ERIC HOBSBAWM.
First I thought "holy jump, he's writing a book" :shock: then realized a mistype

Well I read educational books only 8)

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #9
Patricio

Originally Posted by TT
Hehe Dan Brown is the big hit of the moment obviously and I guess most of us did already read The Da Vinci code I have Angels and Demons too, but on the shelve for now.
yep I read both of those and 'Deception Point' a few months ago, all of which are a pretty good read
Old 05-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #10
stradale
Regular User

@ komotar and all others who are interested in books on WWI and WWII, try Antony Beevor and John Keegan's books as well. Especially Beevor's book 'Berlin 1945, The Downfall' left me in awe. I'm reading his book 'Stalingrad' now.

Of the fictional category I liked Harry Mulisch' 'Discovery of Heaven' and 'Siegfried' very much. I think they have been translated to many other languages as well. Thrillers by Martin Cruz Smith ('Gorki Park', 'Havana Bay', 'Wolves Eat Dogs', 'Rose' and 'Tokio Station' I can recommend) are good too. Stephens Fry's books are a bit weird, but very funny. As far the rest I read Dutch books mostly, so I doubt many of you will know them.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #11
TransAm
Regular User

Stradale, I have a Hugh Laurie book called 'The Gun Seller' that is a good read...

(Hugh Laurie was a comedy double act with Stephen Fry for many years)

Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 PM   #12
ZfrkS62
Regular User

hmm..i haven't read much outside of BMW training manuals in the past year only 2 books i rememeber reading are both fiction.

my ex let me borrow her copy of 'Shanghai Baby' by Wei Hui, which was banned in China for its liberal standpoint of the main charcater's (female) sexual exploration throughout the book. Though alot probably got lost in translation it is quite an entertaining read.

Other one i read was 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' by Ernest Hemingway (yes, it was a book before a song, what do you think inspired Hetfield? ). If you didn't read it in high school, go get it. Few authors have ever mastered the art of character development and setting the way Hemingway did. Granted there are parts that seem to drag on, but you can clearly visualize everything that is being said.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:37 AM   #13
TT
Regular User

About fiction books (obviously as said by brembo, the best by far beeing the LOTR) a marvellous one wich I adored and read at least twice when I was around 18, was Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock. It is not the "bestseller" fantasy like Shannara or the other famous sagas, but it's for sure really nice! The hero is a bit different than your typical hero! Check it out if you like fantasy and want something different
Old 05-10-2005, 05:47 AM   #14
komotar
Regular User

Originally Posted by ARMAN
Originally Posted by komotar
Anyway, right now I'm writing a book called The Age of Extreems. The writer is ERIC HOBSBAWM.
First I thought "holy jump, he's writing a book" :shock: then realized a mistype

Well I read educational books only 8)

ops: ops: ops:

@TransAm2001

thx man. I've read half of Ian Banks's "business" and then I stopped because the owner took the book home( vacation ). He wrote some good stuff, and I'll go to the library tomorrow. Thx for reminding me 8)

Never heard of Aldous Huxley , but I googled him and he looks like an interesting guy....maybe after Hobsbawm and Banks...

@stradale

I've heard of Beevor but never read anything that he wrote.
I'll check him out in our library. Thx for the hint

As for Joh Keegan, I just googled hime and I can see he wrote a bunch of stuff on WW2 and War in general. I have to get hiss stuff in my hands.

Thx a bunch to both of you!

This thread rocks! 8)

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:36 AM   #15
zondaland
Regular User

If you are hugely into WW1 then you can always go for the official war history's, guys like Bean.

I read Antony Beevor's Stalingrad and it was absolutely stunning, it was just mindblowing to read about the passion with which the Russian soldiers fought.

Also for Sci-fi make sure you read Orwells 1984 if you havent already.

On a favourite recent book I would have to say A War Against Truth by Paul William Roberts. It is just an incredible book about the invasion of Iraq by US forces. Regardless of your politics or your thoughts on the war this should imo be compulsory reading for anybody living in a democracy. Make no mistake this guy is no friend of Sadaam Husseins but some of the things that he relays are just incredibly touching.

From almost countless breaches of the Geneva conventions to US soldiers trading food with him for a quick phone call back to their loved ones. Whatever notion you have of this war from the mainstream media this book will blow you away.

Check out http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=7010 for a slightly better written review.
zondaland is offline   Reply With Quote