Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default P90x

Just curious if anybody has tried it here. I'm on day 3; which has been the easiest by far.

I really haven't posted this kind of stuff here, but basically, with little long lasting success, I've been struggling with my weight. Mainly because I didn't care much. Well, that's not the case anymore. I may be on day 3 of the system, but I've been approaching the whole target (losing the fat) for 230+- days now with some pretty good results. As of today, I am down 67 lbs in that time. P90x seems to be the logical step to step up my progress to a higher degree. It's totally kicked my ass every day, and I thought I was doing pretty good before!

Anybody think the supplements they suggest are worth it? I'm not really a general fan of Anti-oxidants, or supplements which may damage my kidneys/ liver just for a little extra muscle gains.

Based on my 1st week experience, this is not a system I'd recommend for people just starting to exercise for various reasons; but it's definitely something you could likely build into in two months. It's VERY intense. IMO, a very good thing!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Minacious
Regular User

I'm fortunate enough to have the body of an Adonis.

Even though I may still look fairly good on the outside, I don't exercise anymore, and the midsection ( and really just overall) could use a bit of work and toning up. I still do a little bicycle riding here and there, but that is it.

I have been looking for a nice workout plan, but laziness, and the lack of any real motivation, has kept that fire burning low.

I've always assumed this was more infomercial BS, so it will be interesting to read a real-world experience with it.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Sapetoku
Regular User

I work out five times a week (split scheme) and have improved a lot since I started with that work out but I have never used any kind of supplement. Sure I could lose a few pounds but that's mainly my diet which is not really balanced. I don't think you need the supplements to get a muscular, tone physique, a regular work out with a combination of cardio and free weights will get you really far! I would say: stay a way from the ridiculously overpriced suplements, they're not worth it and they're hardly healthy.
Sapetoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
10000rpmlover
Regular User

I am a fat bald married man, if you've seen ghost hunters, people say me and that guy must be twins, I could use some p90x, but the fact is, I am barely 215lbs, and I am 5'11" so, I still look ok, plus I wanna be scary when my daughters start dating

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover View Post
I am a fat bald married man, if you've seen ghost hunters, people say me and that guy must be twins,
I misread that as Ghostbusters and was prompted with this image.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sapetoku View Post
I work out five times a week (split scheme) and have improved a lot since I started with that work out but I have never used any kind of supplement. Sure I could lose a few pounds but that's mainly my diet which is not really balanced. I don't think you need the supplements to get a muscular, tone physique, a regular work out with a combination of cardio and free weights will get you really far! I would say: stay a way from the ridiculously overpriced suplements, they're not worth it and they're hardly healthy.
"My" doctor has recommended a basic whey protein + amino acids powder to take after a workout, and with breakfast; Since I started that, I definitely have noticed more energy, and less appetite. That said, he said what I'm taking is very safe, and in fact "feeds" my muscles when rebuilding rather than feeding off themselves. I've got to talk to him about a few other products, like Creatine to see if that is OK or not. I will say this... if you think you will have the same results as the next guy w/out taking Whey; you may... A lot comes down to genetics. I've been told I have a good frame to work with.

My diet is 95+% awesome, but to me, I'm now just eating like I will for the rest of my life... I'm a hell of a picky person, so that says something. I also recently found an awesome sugar substatute which is 100% natural, and has entirely replaced Sugar in Japan... Stevia. Currently it's only allowed to be sold as a supplement, but there are legal battles which even just recently have been won. (Sun Crystals).

P90x may be the ultimate info-mercial for exercising; but it's definitely NOT a scam in terms of the routine. Like I was asking before... just wondering about their multi-vitamin, and drink mix more than anything else.

1000, I guess I'm just a tad bit ~smaller~ than you in terms of relative size, I just weighed in today at 217 @ 6'2"
I originally had a goal weight of 190, but I'm not stopping my fat reduction until I can see my 6 pack abs LOL.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
loliea
Regular User

Good luck for you diet, the last pounds are the hardest .

Personally I am 6' and 205 and I feel good the way I am. I was never fit (at least according to some standards) and I don't have six pack (don't need it I am married and my wife loves me the way I am ). I love good food and when it is good ... well ... I eat like a beagle. I try to compensate this weakness with exercise (long hikes in the hills, mountain biking and Bikram yoga) and healthy diet with veggies, good meat and fruits (and cheese, lots of it ). I stay away from microwave dinners, pre-cooked dishs with tons of shit in it and fast foods.

loliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Minacious
Regular User

Believe it or not, you can eat whatever you want and still remain fit. It's more about when and how you are eating.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
Believe it or not, you can eat whatever you want and still remain fit. It's more about when and how you are eating.
and how much. Certain foods don't aid well in muscle rebuilding, feeding etc.... most foods. Most processed foods don't digest well; and affect digestion adversely...

Eating a balanced and healthy meal only aids to speeding up the process of going from (NOT fit---> Fit, and less body-fat)
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

1st week into p90x, and on the worksheet (keeping track of reps/ weight) I've shown significant improvement on the 1st workout. I think I'll be going at a rate of p100x +- as sometimes I'm out of town and unable to do a proper workout.

Some things I'm noticing is
1. I'm going to have to get more free weight dumbells. Prior to starting, I added 2x 25 lb; and I think I'll have to get 2x 35, and 1x 50 or 60 before I'm through with the system. I already have 2x 10 lb.

2. I am a little low on space, but can still get all the workouts done.

3. I could add a significant amount of reps to the 1st workout... 243 total push ups vs. 226. I suffered at the end for adding so many (til failure for many of the sets); so my final set was down by 3. Of each set, only one set declined in reps. I had a total today of 87 vs. 61 my first attempt for pull up/ chin up combinations.

I'm still not at full speed playing the dvd + working out... but that will come with time. I'll try harder for week 3 I think.

If chest back kicked my ass hard last week, plyometrics did it worse. In some ways, I'm looking forward to it... but not in others.

P.S. My ab workout is harder than theirs, with the exception of obliques... ouch, that hurts!