Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #1
666fast
Regular User

Default eMule help

First off I'm using Norton Internet security.
The default port is 4662 I believe but I kept getting Low ID stuff and I eventually figured out that to fix it. i switched it to port 80. Is that a good idea? I now have a High ID ranking because of it.

The problem is with the downloads, they are very very slow. Even though it found 45 sources for the file, I can only connect to one and I'm downloading at 1.4KB/sec. Which is just stupid, I don't pay for cable to get super slow speeds. LOL
I've also got 12 files that are waiting to be downloaded, they haven't budged at all. Anyone know why?
Uploading is just fine, I've already uploaded a few files to a couple people without a problem.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get it to speed up? Please!

I'm hardly a computer genius, so any help offered would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:12 PM   #2
altezza
Regular User

I think you have to wait for few hours (that's the queueing time, because 45 sources are really not that many for a file) before you can download it at a faster speed
You may also set your upload speed higher to that you can get a higher download speed, but i think your problem isn't the upload speed, but because not too many ppl are serving the file to you
altezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:28 PM   #3
666fast
Regular User

I hope it just needs mroe sources! Currently, it's gonna take 2 days for a 138MB file!
I don't understand it, on some servers I have a HIgh ID and some say i have a low ID.

I've read through the FAQ on the eMule website and it says not to set the upload speed to fast because it'll chew up your bandwidth and make the downloads slower? Unless that os what you meant to say
Old 09-08-2003, 07:33 PM   #4
altezza
Regular User

another solution is to connect to a server with more ppl (i guess that will bring more sources, but i'm not 100% sure)
my favourite servers: razorback (195.245.244.243:4661)
probenprinz.de (193.111.198.138:4242, 193.111.198.137:4242)
silent-bob (194.97.40.162:4242)
emule server (66.111.39.20:4242)
For the upload rate, my cable company has a 58k/s upload limit, so i usually set it to 20 kb/s upload at most and reserve some bandwidth for other stuffs (IE)

also, for the 12 files that are waiting to be downloaded, you need to double click on them so that they can start queuing, after that you should see how many sources are availabe for each files

sometimes, the same file can be in different names and one of them can have more sources, here are some of the sites i like most~
http://www.sharereactor.com/
http://www.filedonkey.com/
http://www.jigle.com/
Old 09-08-2003, 07:39 PM   #5
666fast
Regular User

Yea, I set my upload limit at 15kb/sec. I just found out that Comcast does cap the upload speeds. Which is gay.

Anyway, the speeds are increasing then slowing down, I think you are right on that it needs more sources. Either way, I hope they finish. LOL
I might have some good videos to share with everyone if Demon will let me upload more files to his space. I've got a rip of The Ferrari Story downloading (slowly!) It's 500MB, hopefully it's worth it!

Thanks for theose server adresses. They should come in handy!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:41 PM   #6
666fast
Regular User

One other question, when I search it'll come back with the results.
Under available, it's say 112(3). What does that mean?
I think the 112 is the amount of users, what is the (3)?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:43 PM   #7
altezza
Regular User

yeah, u're right
112(3) means there are 112 users have that file and 3 of them are uploading it to u

btw, that Ferrari story vid sounds interesting, i'm looking forward to it =)
Old 09-08-2003, 07:54 PM   #8
666fast
Regular User

thanks for the help altezza, greatly appreciated.
The vid does sound interesting, hopefully somone can host it or parts of it. It's a big file!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:03 PM   #9
altezza
Regular User

It's my pleasure, u're very welcome!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:53 PM   #10
AlienDB7
Regular User

A bit off-topic, but what's the difference between eMule, eDonkey2k and Overnet? I've been using overnet to download a tv show but it's taking forever with only 10 sources. Wonder if I should switch to eMule or eDonkey2k.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:55 PM   #11
Nemisis8u
Regular User

I had the same problem. But i but I have a firewall so it never connects
Nemisis8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:12 PM   #12
666fast
Regular User

I've never even heard of Overnet, so I can't help ya.

With eMule, you have to double click the file that is downloading and that will queue the video. If you use Kazaa you know how you can specify the maximum amount of uploads at once, with eMule, you can't do that.
You specify your upload speed and it'll only let so many people upload from you. So once you queue the download, you basically stand in line and wait for your turn to download form someone.
Ot at least that is what I make of it.

The downloads start off slow, but just let them run for a while and they will eventually get going. Make sure to queue them.
I've been doing random searches to see what is out there, and there is a ton more stuff than what is on Kazaa. So I'm willing to wait for the downloads to finish.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:58 AM   #13
GT-R_R34
Regular User

true emule has more file than kazaa but is harder to connect. think of this emule is like winmx and irc in one package. winmx queue forever, and irc more choices in servers. i'm trying something new now is ES5 (earth station 5). kind of weird to use but it hides your IP address.
GT-R_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote