Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > 5th Gear Discussion > Episode Discussion

Old 11-29-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
Anonymous

Default 5th Gear : EP10 : 12th Dec

Motoring magazine. In the final edition of the current series, the best of the year is honoured at the annual Fifth Gear Awards, Jason Plato test-drives the brand new Lamborghini Gallardo SE, and there's a chance to win the Car of the Year.
My bet the car of the year won't be the Gallardo SE then
Old 12-13-2005, 02:04 AM   #2
CMonakar
Regular User

I just finished watching the test. It seems odd that the traction control on the SE cannot be completely defeated. Does anybody know if that is correct?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:13 AM   #3
TeamF1Jr
Regular User

Believe me this is way out of proportion. First the ESP (traction control) can be turned off, however, the brakes still kick in when the computer thinks the car is getting out of control, so he's right in a way that it can't be totally taken off. However, the story he doesn't tell you is that the Gallardo's lap time still since 2004 hasn't been beaten by Ferrari's 360 or F430 around Nurburgring or Hockenheim. There was another article that came out in Quattroruote, an Italian magazine, that had done a test with the Gallardo SE on their test track and it came in only 1/2 a second slower than the Carrera GT!!! and it was over a second quicker than the F430, so once again the Gallardo proves its ability. Doing drifts don't get you good lap times, the Gallardo has nothing to prove, but Plato didn't really tell the full story. Watching the video you would think the Gallardo is a boring car, after driving one, its a true Lambo to the bone.
TeamF1Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:55 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

The Gallardo is an overweight under-powered slug..

Looks cools - but that's about it.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by TeamF1Jr
Believe me this is way out of proportion. First the ESP (traction control) can be turned off, however, the brakes still kick in when the computer thinks the car is getting out of control, so he's right in a way that it can't be totally taken off. However, the story he doesn't tell you is that the Gallardo's lap time still since 2004 hasn't been beaten by Ferrari's 360 or F430 around Nurburgring or Hockenheim. There was another article that came out in Quattroruote, an Italian magazine, that had done a test with the Gallardo SE on their test track and it came in only 1/2 a second slower than the Carrera GT!!! and it was over a second quicker than the F430, so once again the Gallardo proves its ability. Doing drifts don't get you good lap times, the Gallardo has nothing to prove, but Plato didn't really tell the full story. Watching the video you would think the Gallardo is a boring car, after driving one, its a true Lambo to the bone.
lambo's arn't about winning races, just look @ their F1 record
Old 01-10-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
TeamF1Jr
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

Yeah the Gallardo is the worst car on the planet, I mean what a piece of crap. Its such garbage, I hate it, I hate it. Breeding on the Nurburgring, who cares, we all know drifting is more important aspect to a car and nothing else matters in life.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
Vansquish
Regular User

Yeah the Gallardo is the worst car on the planet, I mean what a piece of crap. Its such garbage, I hate it, I hate it. Breeding on the Nurburgring, who cares, we all know drifting is more important aspect to a car and nothing else matters in life.
Dude...grow up. I don't think that Plato's review was all that out of line actually. He never said it was a bad car, nor suggested that it was slow. Quite the contrary, and every report I've read has said the same. What is true is that the steering lacks the tactility of the F430's and 360's, and that the AWD system, while making it a safer handler and lending it greater grip, (and contributing to the good 'ring times) is an anaesthetizing aspect of the car. The Gallardo is easier to drive fast, but require less commitment to do so. Where's the fun in that? I'd buy it for the looks and the engine, but I'd have to have the F430 for backroad blasts and the racetrack, whether or not you think it's as fast.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
TeamF1Jr
Regular User

I did grow up. I own an SE.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

I did grow up. I own an SE.
pics are always welcome

anyway.. Plato's comments come from somebody who's already a racing driver, and from a race track perspective... something very different then road manners. Audi's control over Lambo has given the cars a lot more drivability... which in general, is a very good thing.

being that your from Cleveland, im guessing that you ordered/recieved your car from the dealer in Marysville... was Ronald Frost your salesman?
Old 01-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish

Dude...grow up.
A 22yo says this to a 60yo

Hi TeamF1 - so you own an SE?

I admire the car, and it would be great if you got some pics up on this site so we could all drool over the car too.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
jasc
Regular User

Originally Posted by thenumber1

Dude...grow up.

I admire the car, and it would be great if you got some pics up on this site so we could all drool over the car too.
I doubt a 60 y.o. would have Jr. anywhere in their screen name. An enthusiast with a Gallardo SE surely would have made more than 5 posts since Nov. 2K3.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by jasc
Originally Posted by thenumber1

Dude...grow up.

I doubt a 60 y.o. would have Jr. anywhere in their screen name. An enthusiast with a Gallardo SE surely would have made more than 5 posts since Nov. 2K3.
naw, we have a lot of lurkers... not everybody is into posting
Old 01-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by jasc
....An enthusiast with a Gallardo SE surely would have made more than 5 posts since Nov. 2K3.
or he has better things to do than post on JW, like driving his SE.

*This is assuming he is telling the truth ofcourse*
Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #14
Bernardo
Regular User

I doubt.
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
htfaber
Regular User

That's a normal thing to say about your own car, isn't it?