Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 01-31-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
neday15
Regular User

Default Caddy CTS-V the new epitome of a musclecar?

Think about it... take a RATHER plain-jane sedan, and stuff a FREAKIN HUGE engine in it... doesn't this become the new american musclecar? Think about the old road runners, and all the other sedans from the 60s that could be ordered with those big engines. The only difference is, the CTS-V can handle with the best of them, making it a worthy evolution of the american musclecar formula. People have called the new caddy the four-door corvette, and I think it's awesome. How bout yall...?
neday15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

tis quite awsome, one of my friends is thinking about buying one...(im trying to persuade him). it isnt, however, a muscle car for the same reason the Corvette isnt. to be a muscle car, it must be a 2 door, 4 seat coupe with a front engine, and rear drive. this is well set in stone, and i didnt make the rules.
im wondering if the CTS-V will own the DTM series, or fail like the cadilac prototype la manns did? the CTS-V pushes .9 g's on the rictor scale, which, if my memory serves, is a wee more then the M5, but i do believe it is impossible to make a better driver's car then BMW.... they are simply spectacular!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
neday15
Regular User

Well...it's going to be racing against cars more like M3s, and in the racing form has 500 horses...We know it handles well, that's what all the car mags are sayin... And it DEFINITELY has the power to be a contender...So it's got more of a chance than the LMP had, that's for sure. I've also been thinking about gettin one, but can't decide between it and an Audi S4. Right now I'm leanin towards the Audi. Whatcha think
neday15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

id go with the caddy; nuless you're living in the arctic north, and you dont have a "daily driver"
if i had a CTS-6, i wouldnt need cafeen in the morning. its faster then an S4 too.. . but performance doesnt matter. i know i wish i had the $$ to have an option set like that lol. well im on that subject, id go with a 2002 T/A WS6, and build up that 5.7 block with the remaining money. nut thats just my opinion
Old 02-01-2004, 12:28 AM   #5
godspeed06
Regular User

i wouldn't call it a muscle car. i'd call it whatever people call and M3. and the cts-v will beat an M3 so it looks like the M3 won't be the standard of whatever people call the M3 anymore. damn, that was really ambiguous.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:29 AM   #6
richardbfields
Regular User

sweet car, another winner by GM!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:48 AM   #7
Fleischmann
Regular User

It has a rather futuristic body. It looks more like a concept than a car in production. But I really like it. And the 400BHP speak for itself. But in that price range, I think I'd stick with the Corvette.
And the car is basically invulnerable. In the film Matrix: Reloaded, one of the white-hair-guys stuffed it with 3 clips worth of lead....and it still rolled nicely
Old 02-01-2004, 05:15 AM   #8
blah
Regular User

they took a rather plain sedan and stook a V-8 in it twice already, they are called the M5, and E-55 AMG, Cadillac is too late to little. especially since BMWs new M5 is coming out, and Merc will come out with a E-55 replacement. Think about it, what does the Caddy give you? Name, no BMW has a much better racing history and nameplate, quailty? Hell no caddys are plastics piles.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:05 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

Hell no caddys are plastics piles.
drive one. i havent yet, but my friend said its almost as fast as his slightly built up vette zr1 (about 485 whp)
Old 02-01-2004, 12:15 PM   #10
godspeed06
Regular User

they took a rather plain sedan and stook a V-8 in it twice already, they are called the M5, and E-55 AMG, Cadillac is too late to little. especially since BMWs new M5 is coming out, and Merc will come out with a E-55 replacement. Think about it, what does the Caddy give you? Name, no BMW has a much better racing history and nameplate, quailty? Hell no caddys are plastics piles.
i think you are forgetting that the cadillac gives similar performance for half the price.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #11
brian
Regular User

sharp looking car, but no interior space.... not a fan.

My Album
brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:40 AM   #12
DanHenderson
Regular User

The Cadillac CTS-V does get great performance for the buck. However, something else that nearly always seems to get overlooked is the gas mileage. At 16/25, it's almost the same as the pathetic little 3.2L V6 the CTS comes standard with that only gives out 220 hp/220 tq, and the stupid thing they bored out of the Catera "recommends" premium just like the LS6, and all of this from an engine that has the same dimensions as a Nissan VQ.

Also for comparison, the 3.2 I6 in the M3 333 hp/262 tq for 16/24 (and -67 hp and -128 tq) , the old M5 was 394 hp/368 tq for a completely miserable 13/21! That's Dodge Viper mileage and that's a V10! The only decent one out of the group mentioned is the E55 AMG at 469 hp/516 tq and it's 14/21. Of course, for an extra $30,000 the damn thing should spank every sedan in it's class.

And with everyone upgrading, so's GM. The new Corvette is getting the new LS2 V8 which does exactly the same as the above LS6. By next year the LS7 will be out and if it's like the LS1/6 difference, it'll probably add an extra 50 hp to the top.

So, for about $50,000 I get a CTS-V that beats an M5 in performance for $23,000 less and has a backseat you could be comfortable in (unlike any 3 series). For about an extra $5,000 or so similarly equipped, you can get an M3 that's a coupe with a very small backseat that you'll hurt yourself trying to get into it (and in that case, if you really want a fast couple, go buy a Corvette Z06 that costs the same and will spank it in every performance number).
DanHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #13
vanquish
Regular User

Well in US, European cars are of course much pricier. Could someone put prices in german of e55 and Vettes? MB costs more still, but how much?

One thing i hate in Motor Trend, and most other American car tests, is the fact that they test only 0-60, 1/4mile, skidpad, and top speed. Skidpad test doesnt tell much about its cornering abilities. Im more intrested in lap times and how the car behaves.
vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:37 PM   #14
hemi_fan
Regular User

muscle cars were affordable. The CTS-V isnt a cheap car, and plus it has 4 doors, so it doesnt really count.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:16 PM   #15
zr2man99
Regular User

Cadillac is making some impressive and awesome looking cars. The XLR is another great car from Caddi. There are doing a great job of moving away from the old mans car stereotype.
zr2man99 is offline   Reply With Quote