Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default Solstice whips the new mx-5 in autocross test by GRMotorspor

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=162092
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Nice - looks like the Miata got big fat and lazy in it's old age... hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Shinigami
Regular User

OMG, the new MX5 is SOOOO heavy! I mean, not only is it a convertible (i.e. added weight to increase chassis strength), but in addition to this, torsional stiffness and shake has been VASTLY improved over the older model MX5, with... wait, let me say it, by making it a whopping 20lbs heavier!!! That really is a LOT, isn't it!!! The car is SOOO heavy, it's a behemoth, it's like the veyron, fat and heavy, this is just injustice, it's no good, let's scrap the best seeling convertible of all time, with roughly ten extra kilos over the original model, Mazda have gone way overboard!

Still, 9 out of 10 reviews prefer the MX5 over the Solstice. Sure you'll always find conditions and drivers that make one car fare better then another one, but on average, it has fared better then the Solstice in reviews.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
Banchi105
Regular User

For the spirit of it I love the solstice, but I really couldn't see how it could be a whole lot more nimble than the mx-5. Unless they really really softened the mx-5 to the point of no return.
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
graywolf624
Regular User

Still, 9 out of 10 reviews prefer the MX5 over the Solstice. Sure you'll always find conditions and drivers that make one car fare better then another one, but on average, it has fared better then the Solstice in reviews.
Like autocrossing where people race.. Theres a reason why reviewers prefer the mx5, its easier on the spine when driving around town. This is the first one done by a racing magazine to determine which is the better handling car..(To them unlike the other mags, cornering and interior dont matter). But...

For the spirit of it I love the solstice, but I really couldn't see how it could be a whole lot more nimble than the mx-5. Unless they really really softened the mx-5 to the point of no return.
Theres three easy answers to this. Yes the mx-5 is lighter by 400 lbs, which helps.

However, its tires stock (and even if you oversize the tires) are still significantly smaller. (stock 205 versus 245. Modified the word is the solstice can take 275 versus a maybe 245 on the miata). They were testing for cstock class which requires stock wheels with max rubber so they used 225 hosiers on the miata and 245s on the solstice. The solstice won by .6, which is light years ahead, with the same driver on the same course.

2) The miata is extremely soft apparently. It rolled like a bitch. But that doesnt mean it got fat. It's 20 lbs heavier yes, but thats not that much. They had a heavily modified 99 miata sport there(considered the best miata for autocross thanks to weight distribution and such). It only beat the solstice by .2. Conclusions in general are that both the 06 miata and solstice will eat the old cars alive when properly equiped for the classes but that the 06 mx-5 is way to soft.

3) The solstice is stated to have better gearing 2nd up to 67 versus 2nd to 61 in the miata and some people say better steering feel.

The general discussion is that the solstice will be the car to beat. Its not like I chose a bias anti miata board for you either, thats the mx5 board I posted a link to. GRM, grassroot motorsports is respected here way more then most of the trash magazines. Though the main stream car and driver made the same choice. The miata is quicker in a straight line, but apparently if your going autocrossing you want the solstice.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
fs78
Regular User

Gearing and tire size play a huge role in autocross. But so does weight. i would have bet that the Solstice would have been slower. i was wrong. GRM is a good magazine and I trust their results.

Hopefully we'll see a good mix of the three cars, properly prepared as the autocross season unfolds.
fs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #7
godspeed06
Regular User

gm just announced the solstice gxp will have 260 hp and 260 lbs/ft. this is before SAE testing, but if its like most of gm's cars it will be either spot on or slightly more after testing. price isnt set but will most likely be only 4-5 k above base. there are also photos but im too lazy to post them here.. just google it.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinri_Shiogami
OMG, the new MX5 is SOOOO heavy! I mean, not only is it a convertible (i.e. added weight to increase chassis strength), but in addition to this, torsional stiffness and shake has been VASTLY improved over the older model MX5, with... wait, let me say it, by making it a whopping 20lbs heavier!!! That really is a LOT, isn't it!!! The car is SOOO heavy, it's a behemoth, it's like the veyron, fat and heavy, this is just injustice, it's no good, let's scrap the best seeling convertible of all time, with roughly ten extra kilos over the original model, Mazda have gone way overboard!

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm lol

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by TransAm

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm lol
Lack of exposure to pushrods can do that to anyone...
Old 01-03-2006, 12:38 AM   #10
godspeed06
Regular User

except that most reviewers dont autocross. and they take points away from the solstice for lack of trunk space, ease of top adjustment, and interior quality. when ur autocrossing no one cares about those things. and as far as talking about things that dont matter when considering autocrossing, the solstice looks a millions times better than the miata. plus, weight is important, but its not the ONLY factor included in handling. neither is skidpad and so on. a lot of things go into making a car quick around the track. things that cant always be totally quantifiable. the miata got beat. in fact it got spanked by such a large margin i dont really think u can simply rely on the excuses about the driver or track or weather conditions or moon phase or whatever. if it was closer id agree. but i feel like when more of these get autocrossed, this article will keep being proven accurate.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #11
Zot09
Regular User

This doesn't have anything to do with the handling and whatever else is being talked about, but am I the only individual that believes the Solstice is fugly?
Old 01-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #12
graywolf624
Regular User

I gotta disagree.. I like the look. Its unique, better in person and with the top down.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #13
godspeed06
Regular User

i dont know if u've seen one in person or not, but when u see one out on the road, i dont see how you couldnt think of it as anything but stunning.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
Banchi105
Regular User

I enjoy the look immensely as well. The new miata is nice, but I always look at it and wonder if its the old one or the new one for a few seconds.

The Solstice is very distinct and appears to me at least to be a little more upmarket than the MX-5.
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #15
RC45
Regular User

I saw one on Monday - looked great from every angle except the back... looked like a 350Z with a stick up it's arse.

When will these stupid designers figure out a tail light is just a freaking taillight and does nto need to be a mster of interior design and fung freaking scwhay...