Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
racer_f50
Regular User

Default Celica can only wink (pop-ups)

Well, the inevitable has finally happened...one of the pop-ups on my Celica will no longer rise up

Besides looking stupid, that will surely cut down my visibility while driving at night, so I'm definitely in need of fixing this quickly and as cheaply as possible.

Anybody here have first-hand experience with fixing pop-ups? Advice on what to check?

racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
Yablokov
Regular User

not to sound unlearned.

but what part of the celica is the "pop-up" on?

when i read the post i though u were talking about a celica fan site n the pop-ups went away.

i was like.... "isnt that a good thing?" =D

P.S. lol, nm. juz figured it out =D

Cars I have beaten in real races:
Honda Accord LX 1992
lil' bros Go-Kart
Yablokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
T-Bird
Regular User

well the first thing you have to find out is if they are vacuum operated or on an electric motor. then you can go from there. If vacuum operated it's simply a vacuum leak so you find a smoke machine and find the leak/leaks. if electrical then you have to find out what isn't working most likely an actuator somewhere.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
ae86_16v
Regular User

In my old Corolla, there is this knob that you could turn, it should be right next to the headlight unit. Of course if you turn it up then you can't turn it back down without manually adjusting it again. Just leave it up for safety sake.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
gigdy
Regular User

also besides looking stupid and cutting down visibility its illegal.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:26 PM   #6
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by gigdy
also besides looking stupid and cutting down visibility its illegal.
yep, definitely one of my big motivations for getting this fixed. for now i just won't drive at night, which is kinda crap since there's a fun twisty road around here which just loves being driven at night 8)

I'll have a look in my repair manual and around the headlight unit to see if it's vacuum or electrically operated.
i know getting vacuum hoses redone was pretty expensive on my power steering lines, but i'm sure replacing an actuator would be even more expensive (door lock ones are $300/piece at the dealership).

thanks for the tip, ae86_16v, i'll try to find something like that knob on your corolla for the time being.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:52 AM   #7
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Yeah, it should be right next to the unit somewhere. There is a cap that you pop off then you just turn the knob. Like I said that was for my old school corolla, I am not sure if it'll apply to your car, but I would definitely take a look at it.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
^ Yeah, it should be right next to the unit somewhere. There is a cap that you pop off then you just turn the knob.
turns out the manual control is hidden under the car, which is seriously weird.

anyhow, while I was fooling around finding the manual control and taking things apart, I found the bolt which is supposed to attach my battery's brace to the car frame. Once I bolted that back together, the headlight started working again. Apparently some genious in Japan decided the battery brace needs to be part of the electrical circuit for the headlight motor.... :roll:
Old 10-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^^ that sounds fuckin weird. Take a pic of that set up. I have a feeling the headlight control ground point is hooked up to the brace somehow.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
racer_f50
Regular User

will try taking pics once i'm back on Monday. definitely weird, though. Not sure how much of the circuit you'll actually be able to see, htough, since the car is pretty compact and the vehicle frame hides the electrics for the headlight stuff, but I'll see what I can do.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:56 PM   #11
ae86_16v
Regular User

Haha, underneath the car. That's funny. Yeah well, at least there was a manual control so that works. I am thinking that it probably was because of a grounding problem.

Well at least you got it working :good: .