Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Default My 25th Birthday and the Ferrari 348

Current San Francisco Forecast for April 16th: Sunny, High of 67f

As some of you may already know Im renting a Ferrari 348 Spyder for my birthday, which is now just 7 days away! I plan on making the most of my car by taking plenty of photos with the Golden Gate Bridge, but my main feature will be a top gear style (or so im hoping) video of the car cruising around San Francisco streets. I just bought the video editing program ill be using to make the video and I thought I would go into the garage and get some good footage of my Dad's Nissan 300ZX to practice with. Unfortunately however, my dads daily driver, the Mercury Sable, was in there instead.

Here is my first vid, just a test, to make sure i get it right on my birthday. Obviously the quality is lacking and my camera work is a little jumpy but hey, im working on it.

Check back for updates between now and the day after my b-day (april 17th)

Edit: I just figured out how to get the stereotypical Top Gear black edges filter, so with enough tlc I think I can do pretty well with this vid

Last edited by MidEngine4Life; 04-14-2008 at 10:36 PM.
MidEngine4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
silentm
Regular User

haha cool, that's a great idea. i'll be looking forward to your little video production!
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

I just remembered Im moving out into my new apartment on sunday and I'm unsure of my internet situation there so it may be a few days before i'm able to get all the pics and video up

Update: Im all settled in here in my new flat. I just got internet working, but its a temporary fix at the moment. I couldnt get the wireless router i bought today to work, i had to run a cable through half the place into my room.

Last edited by MidEngine4Life; 04-14-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

So I get up at 6am this morning and get ready for my big day. I leave with my friend and my dad for Frisco at about 6:40 with the reservation at 8am

Well we get there and there is nothing there! It says to pick up my car at 1 Main Street, but that address doesnt exist! So I call them, not once but twice and finally get through and say im having trouble finding your place and when i tell them im in SF they're stunned. The lady said "ummmmm were not opened in San Francisco yet" and I say well uh I made reservations on your website for it in october and i even got a confirmation e-mail just the other day. Stunned and confused she hands me off to some other guy who really doesnt sound like he has a clue in the world what he's doing...jokingly says "well at least we know when we open that lot in SF the website works ha ha"

So im heartbroken, and a little out of it. I decided to try a phone book to see if there are any other exotic car rental places in the city. I found my best luck with a place called "specialty rentals", but the nicest car they have available is a Mercedes SLK and they wont have their Lotus Elise available until tomorrow.

So we have breakfast on the wharf, catch a few glimpses of the GG bridge and then start heading home. I suddenly get this crazy idea....

"Hey, why dont we all just fly out to Las Vegas and rent the Ferrari there?" Afterall I do work for Southwest Airlines and its all free. We all just happened to have tomorrow off work as well so thats whats happening lol.

Our flight leaves in about 4 hours, we're gonna spend the night, then pick up the Ferrari in the morning down on the strip. If im not to exhausted after all this I should have some photos up by thursday night and a video by friday night.

Wish me luck!
Tomorrows forecast for Las Vegas: A mainly sunny sky. High near 75F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.

Last edited by MidEngine4Life; 04-16-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

sorry to hear it

I still remember the first time I drove a Ferrari.... right about a year ago .... fantastic machines! Happy birthday, and best luck to you!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Jasoos
Regular User

it'll be worth it, trust me!! Good luck, and DON'T BEND IT!!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Pokiou
Regular User

good luck man looks like your going to have one hell of a ball/time!.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Make sure those other sharks don't bill youfor a car you never rented
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
r2r
Regular User

Just enjoy the experience, and forget about the photo and video shooting until some extra time at the end of the day.
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
silentm
Regular User

aw man sucks to hear about that!

i hope your holidays in Vegas will be worth it!
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
Nettoyeur
Regular User

Sounds awesome... Hope your day will be great. I myself are looking forward to May 15th when I'm going to try out a Ferrari 430. It's only 70 minutes but...

Happy birthday btw.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #12
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Ok I got back not long ago and it was certainly worth the hassle. I got some great pics, some great video, and some great memories. The weather was perfect, and we used about the right amount of miles in the right amount of time. Im transfering all the photos and video to my comp right now for editing so expect those soon but for now, here is a teaser.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:47 AM   #13
79TA
Regular User

Cool. The area around Las Vegas has some really good driving roads like near Hoover Dam and the Valley of Fire.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Alrighty here we go. I stayed up all night working on this. Im sure I could have put a lot more effort into and made it better, but oh well. Pictures coming tonight after I get off work.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

How much extra do they charge if you bring it back with bald tires and smelly clutch?